• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

DarkBones' Character Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkBones

Meh, KO.T.E has all his W.I.P. characters in one place, why not me?

Snappy the Turtle:
SnappytheTurtle.gif

Current Progress: About 25%
Ability: Swimming
Desc: Just your generic, terribly designed, oddly underpowered Sonic fan character.

Midbus the ?????:
MIDBA5.PNG

Current Progress: About .5%
Ability: Most likely some sort of belly flop.
Desc: Fawful's faithful servant and pet pig armadillo...thing... is teaming up with Sonic and his friends to stop Eggman, due to some strange and poorly thought out plot device! Whats that? You think a Mario character doesn't work in a Sonic game? You think its stupid to make a character wad of a minor character thats generally unpopular? Well then shut up, if there can be a Silver the Hedgehog wad there can be one of Midbus...

As for the status "Currently awaiting critisism", I'm waiting to see if you guys think the shading is good. I think his shell looks good, but I'm worried about his skin.

Sproing the Alien:
SPROA2A8.PNG

Current Progress: about 80%
Status: Current (non-Java) project (Be on the lookout for open wad testings!)
Ability: Homing Bash (Homing Attack)
Desc: Well everyone, this is Sproing. Unlike the other two characters, this one is actually one I plan to have in a game. Since its going to be a Sonic ripo- err...I mean INSPIRED by Sonic the Hedgehog games, I figured it would be a nice fit. His sprites look good IMHO, but I think the shading could use work (I don't know why, but I tend to be hard on myself, so that might not be the case). It still looks far better than Snappy though. I just hope people will appreciate his intentionally simple design...
In-game Desc: Sproing speeds along the peaceful Planet Sproing, at least until Bytt & his robots get involved.

(Also, for those of you who actually care about the game Sproing will be in, Fun Fact: Did you know the real Sproing's Homing Attack works quite differently than SRB2's? I plan to have him shoot torwards the ground and bounce when there's no enemies nearby and have him be able to home in on trails of items like Sonic's lightspeed dash from the Adventure games.)

Last edited:
Snappy does looks a bit flat without any major shading applied to him. I suggest you do that, but since his green color already looks pretty dark, I recommend you give him brightening to the head, then just shade the torso (front part of the shell), the gloves and socks, and darken up the outline in his shoes to add up to his contrast.

The Midbus back sprite looks pretty okay, the shading given to him is quite fine. Only thing that bothers me is the white thing in his shoulders, are those supposed to be brightening?

Snappy does looks a bit flat without any major shading applied to him. I suggest you do that, but since his green color already looks pretty dark, I recommend you give him brightening to the head, then just shade the torso (front part of the shell), the gloves and socks, and darken up the outline in his shoes to add up to his contrast.

Well I probably won't finish him, but if I decide to, I'll keep your advice in mind.

The Midbus back sprite looks pretty okay, the shading given to him is quite fine. Only thing that bothers me is the white thing in his shoulders, are those supposed to be brightening?

Thank you, I still probably will redo his skin's shading though. I tried to duplicate the BIS shading as closely as possible, but I guess sometimes it just doesn't work on bigger sprites. As for the white, that's supposed to be his tattoo. Look closely next time you play BIS, he has a tattoo on each shoulder (That's actually a pretty commonly missed detail...).

I think if you want to put a tattoo on him, that you should put it only on one shoulder. Although that would mean more frames, it would probably look more like a tattoo and less like a highlight. I haven't seen many people that have the same tattoo on the same place on both sides.

I haven't seen many people that have the same tattoo on the same place on both sides.
I haven't either, but I'm doing the tattoo on both sides because that's actually how it looks in Bowser's Inside Story (granted, Nintendo also probably did that to draw less frames...), I'm trying to make the graphics as close to the official as possible (while obviously avoiding a flat-out sprite rip...).

Snappy's back frame shoes look like trangles, and needs alittle more shading. Midbus looks good. The last is so simple.

Midbus looks good.
Thank you!
The last is so simple.
DarkBones said:
...intentionally simple design...
Um...thanks? He's supposed to be really simple. Its better to have an overly simplistic character than a "ZOMG he has liek so many weapons and runs hyper fast and has his own chaos emeralds and is cheaper than SMS and is more auesom than Shadow and has infinite boosting and has an IQ of over 9000 and can fly and can climb and can use a Jet Pack and has kewl armor and is loved by all the ladies and is the bestest most awesomest character ever" character, right? I figured using my simplest character would be a good crash course for SRB2 spriting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back