Seraphic Skylands Zone

sphere

Developer
Sonic Team Junior
Hi, I made this level. You might've heard of it.

I've made a few changes to the level since it's participation in the OLDC of May/June 2014, including but not limited to:

• readdition of the originally cut final area
  • major changes to some laggy/bad areas
  • five mostly-new emblems to find
  • minor level fixes

Given the size and construction of the level, there's bound to be a few errors and bugs. Please report them if you spot any, and I'll try my best to fix them.

Eternal thanks to MascaraSnake and toaster for Zone Builder, without which this would've been completely impossible, and also to Boinciel for enlightening me about the unnecessity of thok barriers.

v2:
  • tons of minor level fixes & edits
  • changed some areas in an attempt to reduce lag
  • added a few new textures, mostly spindash lift-related
  • added MIDI version of the level music
  • new title screen background & demo
  • reorganized emblems (removed sixth in-level emblem & added devtime emblem)

v1.1:
  • removed all unnecessary thok barriers
  • removed the faulty blockmap lump
  • new sun emblem art, new lightning emblem haiku & fixed time emblem requirement
  • minor level fixes

v1:
  • initial release

NOTE: I explicitly deny permission for anyone else to edit this level in any way, including porting it to any future version of SRB2.

Attachments

• scr_seraphicskylands_v2.0.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 3,347
  • srb20428.png
    srb20428.png
    387.3 KB · Views: 2,316
  • srb20431.png
    srb20431.png
    286.9 KB · Views: 2,134
  • srb20434.png
    srb20434.png
    323.4 KB · Views: 1,906
  • srb20435.png
    srb20435.png
    378 KB · Views: 1,790
Last edited:
I remember this level, glad to see it in releases. Will post my thoughts on the updated version later when i play it.

Fascinating, The amount of details, The use of FOFs and everything about this level just makes me want this to be the New Aerial Garden .

My opinion probably won't make a difference to you, but this level is truly beautiful, Spherallic. This is the map that got me into making maps in the first place.

Can't wait to play this later on.

Haha... for me, this version lags a little bit more than the OLDC one!! Though pretty much everything else is better than last time.

Version 1.1 released

Thanks to Boinciel, I've removed two major level components (thok barriers and a broken BLOCKMAP lump), which might help with possible performance issues. Along with a few emblem tweaks, version 1.1 is now out and up for download.

Last edited:
This is easily one of my favorite maps of the 2.1 era and I was excited to jump back into it!
I like the slightly increased difficulty in this version, it was needed especially since this level's got no enemies whatsoever.
What this level does got though is tons of alternate paths and secret areas, and it's all connected to where it feels like you're traversing an actual place rather than a linear level. It's super non-linear and I love it.
Where this level really shines though is how pretty it is. It's a perfect example of how to make a good looking level! Awesome lighting and lots of texture variation, a variety of custom scenery, a beautiful skybox and so on. When the blandest room in your level is prettier than most of the vanilla maps you know you're doing something right.
The final areas are great as well and I'm so glad you were able to get them working! I'm surprised at the amount of stuff that was cut from the OLDC version. The level feels more complete now.
Finding all the emblems was really fun, it took me around 25 minutes to find them all and I enjoyed every minute.
All-in-all this is hands down the prettiest SRB2 map I've seen and it's one of those levels where I'm sad when it ends because I wish it lasted forever. It does have a good length though! The many years of work really show, kudos.

Last edited:
The biggest crime is that this map doesn't have slopes.

The second biggest crime is murder. You killed my family and/or OLDC golden usertitle chances with Glacier Gear, prepare to have this map not have slopes!

EDIT: I regret this post, sorry Sphere

Last edited:
The biggest crime is that this map doesn't have slopes.

The second biggest crime is murder. You killed my family and/or OLDC golden usertitle chances with Glacier Gear, prepare to have this map not have slopes!

Its possible that the level is ported, or.... yeah thats a crime. xD

Version 2.0 released!

Version 2.0 up for download!

What started out as a minor bugfix patch accidentally turned into a sizable update. The result is honestly what I think the first re-release should've been, so I've decided to call it version 2.0. Expect all kinds and sizes of changes throughout the level, including new textures, improved level structure (less lag, hopefully!) and changed emblems.

If there are no bugs that need immediate fixing, the next update of the level will contain slopes. So, as the saying goes: don't get your slopes up.

A lot of my complaints seem to be fixed by just not playing Sonic or Tails. The platforming doesn't really do much to aid their abilities. The wind currents are amazing for Knuckles, though.

Now, some bugs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/axiqd4t71ovrxkm/srb20035.png

Wonky Linedef/Missing texture.

http://imgur.com/ErNNrqS

And then there's this....

I can only assume that has to do with the midtexture, but I honestly have no clue why that would happen.

(No idea if these links are working, my dropbox has been finicky lately

the level is good but... there is no badniks :V
There's actually a reason for that but I can't really recall correctly. Apparently it has something to do with the visuals.

Sent from my SM-G900V using ********

Am I doing something wrong? I get 5~7 FPS on this map in both windowed and fullscreen, any res, software or OpenGL. I have i5-3570, 8gb ram, and 650 Ti.

Am I doing something wrong? I get 5~7 FPS on this map in both windowed and fullscreen, any res, software or OpenGL. I have i5-3570, 8gb ram, and 650 Ti.

No, that's just how this map is. It's one of the most performance intensive maps for the game.

...granted, I'm pretty sure I've played this map on a GT 650 in GL with a solid 35fps. Seems like GL performance is really inconsistent by machine, even with some of the same parts.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back