Hi def DS "anounced"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd assume this is the next generation hardware. Considering how well the DS is doing, I doubt they'll be pushing such a thing out anytime soon.

They can get HD out of a portable system like a DS, but not a Wii.
I'm just going to say that the next Nintendo home console better have some amazing graphical capabilities, or I'm going with one of the other consoles next-gen.

The DSHD will be the next generation of Nintendo hardware i presume because i didn't heard of any new NDS.
I'll try to inform you if i know something interesting :D

im guessing it will come out by 2011 at least, but im still trying to think how "HD" can one make a portable before its stops becoming a portible console?

There's also been talks in other interviews about looking into high-definition graphics for the likes of the Wii in the future... There's nothing wrong with peeking in the future, but its probably too early for any serious speculations. It just sounds to me that Nintendo's planning on taking the next step both motion-wise and graphic-wise when the next generation comes around.

Regardless of how some of the self-titled "hardcore gamers" feel about the Wii, its still the most successful console of the three. The DS probably has the widest margin of success of all, enough that they've been able to retool it three times easily without really advancing it.
I can hardly afford to financially keep up with the three platforms I own (Wii, DS, PC) and I see quite a bit of mileage and unexplored potential left in Nintendo's current generation. It's cheaper for me and its probably better business sense for them not to advance the generation for at least a few years.

High definition? Now that's assumed hype. I'd probably expect it would only have doubled its screen resolutions. Getting to 720p/1080p and expecting hours of battery life out of that in a handheld is darn near impossible. Either way it's standard PR fluff to make the console press world go around.

I also think the low resolution of the DS gives the games its charm. A sign of dropping that is basically an end of another era for pixel art-focused games.

Last edited:
High definition? Now that's assumed hype. I'd probably expect it would only have doubled its screen resolutions. Getting to 720p/1080p and expecting hours of battery life out of that in a handheld is darn near impossible. Either way it's standard PR fluff to make the console press world go around.

I also think the low resolution of the DS gives the games its charm. A sign of dropping that is basically an end of another era for pixel art-focused games.
I disagree on the pixel art era thingy,, there are still some pixel art focused games out on home consols like disgaea 3 on the PS3, so im doubting the era will end, sure we may find a drop in it but it defidently wont end the era that the pixel art era is in, heck it may iven improve it with more colours and sharper images.

"Ds games have charms because they are ugly"

I am seriously getting sick over giant blocky characters on the DS. I will probably love this new DS if it makes characters much less blocky.

I disagree on the pixel art era thingy,, there are still some pixel art focused games out on home consols like disgaea 3 on the PS3, so im doubting the era will end, sure we may find a drop in it but it defidently wont end the era that the pixel art era is in, heck it may iven improve it with more colours and sharper images.

...but Disgaea 3 is ugly. If you want to reinforce the pixel art era (2D graphics), we could talk about BlazBlue or Oboromuramasa. But no matter how advanced game graphics become, 2D graphics will never completely die...at least that's what i believe.

And how HD can a DS become? As far as I'm concerned, the best graphics that you can get on a handheld are what the PSP can do, at least without compromising size and battery life (and that's probably why the PSP's battery dies so fast). It would most likely be silly for Nintendo to put out a successor to the DS when the ones that are out now are doing so well. I mean, did you see the DSi XL's sales in Japan on launch day? Stupid.

But that's not what they're saying. They're developing their next generation system, and they're saying they are. The reality is that most game companies start thinking and experimenting with their next system pretty much when the current gen system comes out. This means that Nintendo's R&D has probably been working on this for around 5 years at this point, and is just now ready to start talking about what they're working on. I wouldn't expect them to actually release a new system until a competitor announces they're making something that might actually have a chance to compete with the DS heavily.

Similarly to how long it was before they updated their Game Boy hardware, they aren't likely to update the DS hardware until it's really absolutely necessary, but they want to have something ready when it is necessary.

So the DSiXL is not even out on North America, and there's already news of another DS? This sounds like the GBA Micro, 32X, and Gizmondo.

Other than that, I would like to see screenshots of HD games. And if it's really Next-Gen, then hope to see some Gamecube ports.

You know, we were just discussing stocks in my economics class, and I mentioned in the lecture that it occurred to me that the rumors of this high-definition DS might temporarily boost the price of Nintendo stock, although it'll surely go back down when the implications and legitimacy of this announcement are called into question.

But enough of that.

I'm still extremely angry that the new versions of the Nintendo DS lack a GBA slot. What'll happen to my ability to play M&L Superstar Saga when I eventually have to get rid of my ancient, original DS?

But that's not what they're saying. They're developing their next generation system, and they're saying they are. The reality is that most game companies start thinking and experimenting with their next system pretty much when the current gen system comes out. This means that Nintendo's R&D has probably been working on this for around 5 years at this point, and is just now ready to start talking about what they're working on. I wouldn't expect them to actually release a new system until a competitor announces they're making something that might actually have a chance to compete with the DS heavily.

Similarly to how long it was before they updated their Game Boy hardware, they aren't likely to update the DS hardware until it's really absolutely necessary, but they want to have something ready when it is necessary.
It's extremely important for Nintendo to have a new hardware ready when they reach Nds limits if they want to make concurrence with other firms (especially Sony with their PSP).
Video gaming is just like fashion, on 2010 they begin planning on next years collection ;)

You guys do know that the DSiXL isn't something "new" All it is is a DS with bigger screens. No hardware change and no layout change, just pixel stretching.

Guys, I think there has been articles stating a new ds will come out. Plus, it will use a new graphics card = better graphics.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176493

HD Graphics... On a portable system?

That's a surprise. But, why say something about an HD DS before a Wii HD? Either way, if this is anything important to hint out, this means that the consoles are about to be succeeded by yet another slur of consoles... Again.... like it has been since the creation of Pong.

What!? didn't they announce DSLL a little while back? or did they give it a name change, I mean I'm happy for it and all but am I the only one who thinks Nintendo is over doing the DS thing a little? (but still motion sensors AND Hi def, I'm going to keep my eyes on this)

I think this is basically for older people who have trouble seeing the screen than to be HD. That's lately become a pretty big demographic for Nintendo, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's who it's intended for.

If this has DSi capabilities, though, I'll probably grab this next time I can afford a new console. Depends on if it's cheaper or not, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back