Sonic 2 Special Stages

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the addition of slopes to SRB2, is it really a surprise that this was made? The famous half-pipe special stages from Sonic 2 are brought into SRB2 using the old Special Stage system.

Basically, you are constantly running forward, and need to strafe left and right to collect rings that are on the half-pipe, but be careful of bombs that stand in your way, because taking a hit from those costs you ten rings!

The Special Stages do support 32 players but uh, best not to go that far with player count.
wGsSaIN.png

WQzFRGZ.png

TIHUZUz.png

CUxkbP3.png

btQrbhJ.png

MW6v326.png

1M5gSwE.png

And a little extra stage:

9y8Prvj.png
Known Bugs:
- You have to turn the camera yourself when going on turns. Using a camera face changing linedef makes the camera turn too sharply and makes it look disorientating, not to mention that the player would be facing the wrong way making it even more confusing.

- When finishing a stage by collecting the necessary rings, you still move on the map, so you could get hit by bombs even after you win, don't worry though you still get the emerald.

Miru tried helping me with a lua to prevent forward and backward movement while on these maps, but either SRB2 won't listen or I'm doing something horribly wrong but it wouldn't work.

SSG3 tried helping me with a lua for the HUD displays and checkpoint system, but his hard drive was wiped and wasn't able to finish. As I can only edit lua and not make lua, it uses the old Special Stage system. I have sprites made for HUD elements if anyone is wishing to help me with a lua for checkpoints.

Attachments

• srb20306.png
    srb20306.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 3,342
  • srb20307.png
    srb20307.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 2,582
  • srb20309.png
    srb20309.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 2,352
  • srb20311.png
    srb20311.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 2,607
  • srb20312.png
    srb20312.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 2,082
  • srb20313.png
    srb20313.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 2,716
  • srb20314.png
    srb20314.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 2,313
  • srb20316.png
    srb20316.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 2,758
  • sc_s2ss.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 8,991
Last edited:
This is actually really fun! Really great work here Ordo! Everything checks out on my end so... Welcome to Releases!

Ah this is so nostalgic, Sonic 2 was my first 2D sonic game.

The map design seems alright, it's a shame you couldn't add a script for the checkpoint system.
In fact FuriousFox's BonusStage wad actually has a section of its lua script that might give you an idea of what to do for that.

Last edited:
Surprisingly Jumping from side to side on slopes works really well, shame there's no checkpoints system, I also noticed that you can turn & move backwards at will, bummer, But the levels work alright, Great job indeed.

OH MY GOD
I've been waiting for this FOR SO LONG ever since i saw it on Youtube a year ago
Good to see it's seen the light of day :D

Just asking, what's with the zip download? I couldn't open it as a zip with Windows Explorer, so I had to open it with another program like 7-zip. Checking the file's data in a hex editor ...it appears it's really a RAR file?

In any case, this sounds interesting, I'll check it out now myself.

I have an idea, you use the checkpoint to warp to the special stages (Perhaps use FuriousFox's Bonus Stage code to make it happen (http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=41201)

P.S: Perhaps modify a bit of the MachSpeed lua to make it so the player is ALWAYS moving

P.P.S: I think you've forgot to add the kill grounds at the end of the 1st special stage (and holy McChicken on a stick are they TOUGH)

Last edited:
Couldn't you use a lua script to add to or subtract from the player's angle just by having them cross over a linedef?

Thanks for all the compliments, now for replies:

@TSDude: Well what I meant about checkpoint system is the checks in between collecting the rings, you know when it comes up saying "COLLECT 70 RINGS!" or something. I have made HUD sprites in case anyone would want to help, (SSG3 started, but then had computer issues and it never saw the light of day).
8ZmBASN.gif

jOo4vX2.gif

@Romio: Yeah, it does work well to my surprise when I first worked on it :P. And yeah, I tried to make my own lua where the player couldn't move forward or backward, but failed, then I asked Chiri (Miru) for help, but either I screwed up or SRB2 did but it didn't work out.

@Monster Iestyn: Oops, my fault, yeah I tend to make rars of stuff, will be fixed next update.

@GreenKnight: I wanted to answer this on TSDude's post, but since you also bring it up I'll do it here. Yeah I'll try contacting FuriousFox and try to see if he could make a modified version of that script for the Sonic 2 Special Stages, or if someone else could. As for the mach speed lua, that really wouldn't change much, since the map is built so it moves you without you having to do anything. That lua keeps pushing you at the speed of 50 and prevents skidding. If I were to modify that script, (which I can't without BlueBlur's permission), then I would have to change the player's thrust to around 20 to fit the maps, but that would still allow the player to accelerate. That script would work for MAP57, but not for the rest. Oh, and yeah, oops, will fix the end of the first level to kill you :P.

@Rumia1: The problem with those kind of scripts (and yeah it was attempted) is that the transitions using them is so sudden and sharp that it becomes disorientating. Think of it like touching a dash pad from the side, and how the camera snaps to the side, that's kinda how it acted. Even segmenting it so that it would smoothly transition still gave it a kind of sharp change in angle. Doing it with the camera feels more smooth and natural, though not the result I want in the end, seems to be the best visually.

Also, because of GreenKnights's post: Are the special stages really hard? Because I was actually thinking about making them harder in the next update because of how easily I get through them. Feedback on difficulty?

They are a bit janky, yeah, but I still enjoyed them. Though I have to question why the first stage is harder than all the others except the eighth. Seriously, it took me like seven tries to clear the first one when all the others (except the eighth, again) took me one or two. Also if you were going to use a Sega Genesis song, you could have gone over to Project2612 and grabbed the vgz file for it, it would loop properly and help reduce the filesize.

As for the eighth Special Stage, funnily enough I liked it more than the others. IMO, the faster but more open style works better for this sort of thing. But, the music here is broken.

@Monster Iestyn: Oops, my fault, yeah I tend to make rars of stuff, will be fixed next update.

No worries, you've just got to make sure the file extension is correct for the file format, otherwise confusion happens. If it's a RAR file it should be .rar, if it's a zip file, it should be .zip. Our attachments system supports both btw. =P

Last edited:
This is pretty cool, but I'm still wondering when you will release those low poly Sonic and Tails MD2's based on Jam's models, because I honestly love the Sega Saturn style. However, this is still pretty cool.

First, thanks all for positive feedback. As for an update, its still on hold because FuriousFox hasn't yet replied to my pm's on Discord. If anyone else reading this would like to help, pls contact me in someway.

@GreenKnight: Yeah, I might. I'm also thinking about making a map pack containing Splash Hill Zone, Glyphic Canyon, and a new snowy level.

@Sketch: They are really, really outdated. I might remake them in the future, but idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back