• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Ritz ground zero

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Radicalized some of these demo palettes to make it obvious that I'm not just using colormaps (I do like the purple/green one though).

This is all impressive stuff, but I'm more interested in how it plays --
Well, there's some of this
UnknownGreenAnkole.gif

And a bit of this
HauntingCrispImperatorangel.gif

And it's currently yay big on paper:
Bi63EmT.jpg

But beyond that, I'm as curious as anyone. I only just officially began building the layout yesterday. Production is pretty much on rails at this point.

Good question

GAbyhdb.png
J97Zm9M.png
YM5dAxH.png
ffkNx4C.png
ElpxzEI.png

KiwiBerry Colonic, CoolBlue™, Bronze, Incremental Cycle and Rainbow cycle, in that order (I think).

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

Addendum because I can't edit: The first three are keyed to index 128 (REDWALL). Optimally, I'd have all of my edits grouped into a single designated "effect" lump, probably 90% opaque.

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

Wait, that was an edit anyway? What's up with this forum?

If you double/triple post with a small enough period of time, it automatically appends your post to the previous one as an edit. Also, if you're having trouble editing a post, try clicking the "Go Advanced" button. Sometimes the quick version of the edit function fails.

Also, as I said when you first showed it off, this level looks absolutely amazing visually and I totally hope it turns out as awesome in actual play. The palette trickery is super cool as well, although I assume in the actual level it won't be as dramatic as some of those are a bit much =P

help my eyes are being raped by this beauty

Holy shit this is beautiful! I just can't believe SRB2 is capable of this, it's really groundbreaking to the game as a whole.

Looking at your intended map size. Wow, I'm not sure 2.1.16 can handle a map that size as it looks like it's going to extend past 1/4 of the building space. (yes, that is a problem that affects the game now)

Looking at your intended map size. Wow, I'm not sure 2.1.16 can handle a map that size as it looks like it's going to extend past 1/4 of the building space. (yes, that is a problem that affects the game now)
There is too many visual glitches with enormous maps on SRB2 to be making maps that big.

Wait, what? Is this the NAGZ blockmap issue, or something else?

Wait, what? Is this the NAGZ blockmap issue, or something else?
Pretty much the former. NAGZ itself eventually dealt with it by folding up into a smaller space.

That said, there's nothing wrong with just having 2 acts if it gets too big, is there? *shrug*

Big maps are only a problem because ZB doesn't clear out the blockmap lump if it can't build a new one. If you just delete it manually in your lump editor of choice everything works fine again.

Is that something that would need to be done every time you made a change to the map and wanted to test it? Also if it were that simple to fix, then why is that one hallway in NAGZ still busted?

Big maps are only a problem because ZB doesn't clear out the blockmap lump if it can't build a new one.
Good to know. :V I'll fix this as soon as I have the time, which is unfortunately at least a few weeks from now.

There seems to be some confusion here, as several unrelated issues are being conflated. Let me try to clear things up:
  1. The only real map size limit is 65535x65535, since the map coordinates are 32-bit integers. ZB doesn't allow you to draw outside this boundary, so this shouldn't be a problem.
  2. In Doom, the blockmap lump has a maximum size of 65535 bytes (I'm not sure if the limit was raised for SRB2, but either way it still exists). If the blockmap exceeds this limit, the nodebuilder will fail to build it. This isn't usually a problem, since SRB2 can automatically calculate all the information at runtime, but as RedEnchilada mentioned, ZB doesn't delete the old blockmap lump if it fails to build a new one, so once your blockmap starts to exceed the limit, you're stuck with an outdated version that you have to delete manually. You only need to delete it once, since afterwards the blockmap will still be too large to generate, so ZB won't save a new one. When the blockmap limit is reached depends indirectly on the size of the map, but there's no hard limit like 32767x32767 fracunits or anything like that.
  3. If a map's height or width exceeds 32767 fracunits, Zone Builder will warn you that this may cause rendering issues. This is only a leftover warning from GZDoom Builder that I haven't removed yet. SRB2 doesn't actually have any problems with maps exceeding 32767 fracunits in either direction.
  4. The glitchy hallway in AGZ is caused by a different issue altogether. There's a bug report topic where RedEnchilada gave a pretty detailed explanation of it, but I can't find it right now. To my knowledge, it's fixed in 2.1.16.

The glitchy hallway in AGZ is caused by a different issue altogether. There's a bug report topic where RedEnchilada gave a pretty detailed explanation of it, but I can't find it right now. To my knowledge, it's fixed in 2.1.16.

...2.1.16? If it's the bug I'm thinking of, that's been fixed since 2.1.14.

There seems to be some confusion here, as several unrelated issues are being conflated. Let me try to clear things up:
  1. The only real map size limit is 65535x65535, since the map coordinates are 32-bit integers. ZB doesn't allow you to draw outside this boundary, so this shouldn't be a problem.
  2. In Doom, the blockmap lump has a maximum size of 65535 bytes (I'm not sure if the limit was raised for SRB2, but either way it still exists). If the blockmap exceeds this limit, the nodebuilder will fail to build it. This isn't usually a problem, since SRB2 can automatically calculate all the information at runtime, but as RedEnchilada mentioned, ZB doesn't delete the old blockmap lump if it fails to build a new one, so once your blockmap starts to exceed the limit, you're stuck with an outdated version that you have to delete manually. You only need to delete it once, since afterwards the blockmap will still be too large to generate, so ZB won't save a new one. When the blockmap limit is reached depends indirectly on the size of the map, but there's no hard limit like 32767x32767 fracunits or anything like that.
  3. If a map's height or width exceeds 32767 fracunits, Zone Builder will warn you that this may cause rendering issues. This is only a leftover warning from GZDoom Builder that I haven't removed yet. SRB2 doesn't actually have any problems with maps exceeding 32767 fracunits in either direction.
  4. The glitchy hallway in AGZ is caused by a different issue altogether. There's a bug report topic where RedEnchilada gave a pretty detailed explanation of it, but I can't find it right now. To my knowledge, it's fixed in 2.1.16.
So what you're saying is-

Progress was pretty rapid a month
SneakyWeightyImpala
ago. Here's a skeleton for the intro:

SneakyWeightyImpala.gif

And a section I'm polishing right now:
WanShyHerald.gif

Lua people, here's an easy one: I want a script that allows you to place objects while retaining the standard controls, kind of like what like NiGHTS objectplace mode for the standard game. Just something that drops dummy objects behind the player (repeatedly, while the button is held down), which I can then dump with the writethings command and modify in an editor later. Bonus if I can adjust the rate of placement in tics. This would make it way simpler to plot things like ring chains that follow the arc of springs.

Last edited:
Lua people, here's an easy one: I want a script that allows you to place objects while retaining the standard controls, kind of like what like NiGHTS objectplace mode for the standard game. Just something that drops dummy objects behind the player (repeatedly, while the button is held down), which I can then dump with the writethings command and modify in an editor later. Bonus if I can adjust the rate of placement in tics. This would make it way simpler to plot things like ring chains that follow the arc of springs.

Apparently this is not actually possible. However, here is a rudimentary script you can use to track your coordinates so you know where to place stuff in ZoneBuilder:

Code:
local function playerThink(playermo)
	playermo.player.powers[pw_flashing] = 3*TICRATE
	if playermo.player.cmd.buttons & BT_ATTACK and not playermo.cooldown
		print("X: "..playermo.x/FRACUNIT.." | Y: "..playermo.y/FRACUNIT.." | Z: "..playermo.z/FRACUNIT)
		P_SpawnMobj(playermo.x, playermo.y, playermo.z, MT_RING)
		playermo.cooldown = playermo.player.setcooldown
	end
	if playermo.cooldown and playermo.cooldown > 0
		playermo.cooldown = $1 - 1
	end
end

local function setCooldown(player, arg)
	if player and tonumber(arg)
		player.setcooldown = tonumber(arg)
	end
end

addHook("MobjThinker", playerThink, MT_PLAYER)
COM_AddCommand("COOLDOWN", setCooldown, 0)

Use the COOLDOWN command to set the time between coordinates (in tics), then hold the Throw Ring button to print coordinates. You can get the full list of printed coordinates later by checking log.txt

Last edited:
WRITETHINGS uses the mapthings list, separate from the mobj list, which I don't think Lua has access to.

That said, if your intention is just to use it for placing ring trails along spring arcs, it'd definitely be possible to script an object (or set) whose sole purpose is to generate those on map load and then vanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back