Sonic Colors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming the boost is going to continue throughout Sonic's life. I doubt they'll stop using it or give us enemy challenges.

I'm assuming the boost is going to continue throughout Sonic's life. I doubt they'll stop using it or give us enemy challenges.

They could at least make some enemies which are immune to the boost, so you wont be blasting through all of them every second of the game.
But I don't see any chance of that happening really.. (I hope they figure that out one day though)

Here's the thing: I'm hesitant to say anything good about an upcoming Sonic game, because we all know we've been disappointed so many times by the franchise. Sega's been chasing after a super fast, graphically gorgeous, inventive and fun Sonic platformer for so long that whenever it promises yet another new Sonic title, it's very, very hard to believe that it might end up finally being that game.

Just according to the odds, I'm going to guess that Sonic Colors still isn't that game, but Sega has been trying very hard, over and over again, to do it right. Sonic Colors looks good, albeit with reservations.

Here are the highlights:
  • Sonic doesn't talk. There are no conversations or text screens -- just Sonic running around a lot, very quickly. The game was described to me by a developer as, "Sonic Unleashed minus everything but the running," and that seemed an apt description, as Sonic races over huge walkways, bounces off of springs, and homes in on enemies, combo-ing them them in groups if timed exactly right.
  • The cast is kept to a minimum. Well, the "colors" could be counted as friends, I guess, but they're really just power-ups, activated by waggling the Wiimote. In the part I played, Sonic hit a yellow color creature, and waving the remote turned him into a drill that had him digging in any direction across a 2D plane, seeking out secret stashes of rings in the giant environment. A green color creature creates a laser that will aim Sonic and then launch him back out into the level.
  • It's fast. Sonic Adventure fast. The levels I played were bright and colorful, one long sprint of dodging and jumping and Sonic doing what he does best.
  • I was told that there wasn't a hub world, but there was definitely a map screen, showing off a series of planets in space from which Sonic could visit and access levels. In fact, my first reaction to seeing the game was: "Sonic Galaxy." That's not a bad thing, right?
It seems like it would be hard for Sega to keep up the frantic pace in the levels I saw for an entire game. Sonic raced across a huge world with multiple paths in the few stages I played, and it'd be tough to keep that varied and interesting over an entire game. And at one point, Sonic lifted a gimmick from Super Mario Galaxy, facing a giant boss that appeared in the center of the screen, while he ran and dodged attacks in 360 degrees around the outside.

Also, as seen in the announcement trailer, Tails will be in the game. I didn't see him in the part I played at all, though, so his role could be minimal, or he could simply be an alternate character.

Sonic Colors
could still go either way. There was fun to be had in the preview demo, but given that there were only a few levels to play, it's hard to tell if it's representative of the game at large. I can say this, though: Even if Sega hasn't found the game it's looking for (and the one we all want to play), it seems like the series is finally headed in the right direction. Then again, with the way the series has been going lately, there might not be any way to go but up.
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/15/preview-sonic-colors/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEqfP2RVA5c

^Gameplay

Last edited:
Man, I still can't get over how good the Wii version looks! It's about on par with a PS3/360 game. Man, am I getting hyped for this now...

That Wii gameplay footage does look like you could beat the stage by simply running forward. Hmm, guess the focus of Sonic games shifted away from platforming and to pure speed.

The 3D areas look like mindless areas where you do nothing but run forward.
The 2D areas at least look like there's some platforming in it.

The Drill thing looks pretty interesting. I hope it's controllable, though -- it looks really fast which might make it hard to control.
I hope it's used for alternate paths and levels as well, rather than tiny bonuses.

While I didn't get to see any story aspects of Sonic Colors, Izuka and US producer Patrick Reilly mentioned that American writers (whose previous credits include Madworld -- yes, that Madworld) have been hired to create a story for the game that both adults and kids can get into.
After spending some time playing the game, I'm happy to say that at this point, it's pretty much exactly what I'd want and expect from a modern Sonic title. There's a great sense of speed that vacillates between manageable and uncontrollably fast, a dynamic that dates back to the great 16-bit Sonic games. The levels themselves are also well designed both from a gameplay perspective and artistically – Sonic Colors maintains a consistently excellent look in the levels I've seen that holds up as a side scroller and in third person. While IGN's EIC Hilary Goldstein has made known his excitement for the upcoming XBLA and PSN rebirth of 2D Sonic games in Sonic 4: Episode 1, after spending time with both, I'm surprised to find I'm more interested in Sonic Colors.

Madworld people are writing the story. I mean... It seems a lot more promising.

Dear SEGA/God,

Please, please let the newest Sonic game Sonic Colours not feature on-rails, automatically-running-forward gameplay, a la Sonic and the Secret Rings or Sonic and the Black Knight. That tends to be more-or-less uncontrollable. Also, not being able to explore visually gorgeous worlds at any semblence of the player's desired pace kind of ruins the experience.

Remember, I'm counting on you guys to deliver!

Most sincerely, Wombatwarlord777

(Am typing on crappy computer. Am not able to view gameplay videos)

Dear SEGA/God,

Please, please let the newest Sonic game Sonic Colours not feature on-rails, automatically-running-forward gameplay, a la Sonic and the Secret Rings or Sonic and the Black Knight. That tends to be more-or-less uncontrollable. Also, not being able to explore visually gorgeous worlds at any semblence of the player's desired pace kind of ruins the experience.

Remember, I'm counting on you guys to deliver!

Most sincerely, Wombatwarlord777

(Am typing on crappy computer. Am not able to view gameplay videos)

Don't worry the game isn't on rails; videos show Sonic can actually turn around and go backwards if he wants.

Best looking graphically game on the Wii so far for sure.

The level design is quite the opposite, sadly. I'm more excited currently for the next big Sonic game. The last one was Sonic '06, and that one sadly got rushed and flopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back