3DS just got price cut to 170$

Status
Not open for further replies.
What, no mention of the early adopter program in your post? That's probably the bigger news from the press announcement, at least to anyone who already owns one.

Yes, 20 games which costs them 10 cents to emulate makes up for the 80 bucks.

The 3DS has only sold around 700 000 units since launch, and Nintendo's profits are 80% below their projections. They're pretty much desperate at this point, and it's all their fault for releasing an incomplete, self-destructing, overpriced piece of hardware with little to no software to go alongside it.

But hey! Balloon Fight on the go. That makes up for everything

Bleh, it still costs 3,500 Bs. down here, perhaps if they actually cared to install their marked in more places, they could have sold a bit more.*Sarcasm*

"Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future." This is from the gba part btw.

I hope Nintendo is just using this phrase for marketing. I want these games but I don't think I can find $170 in a week. :(

Yup, with a severe lack of 3DS games it's just a handheld that can play DS games. Nobody's going to buy a 3DS all the time they can only play their DS games on it.

Just wait and more games will be released,Sonic generations,Mario and Sonic in london 2012's olympic games,and some other games i dont even know the name.

But the problem is that the 3ds got its share of games very late and the price of the 3ds is whispering to people that it is not worth the price if there isn't a lot of games...something like that :/

I think Nintendo is starting to learn the hard way that they need to get with the times if they want to stay competitive. People don't want highly specialized handheld gaming devices anymore. It's all about multipurpose devices now.

Also, with Nintendo's idiotic policies on who is allowed to develop for the system, I suspect that a lot of developers will continue to ignore the 3DS in favor of platforms like the iPhone and Android, which is going to start a vicious cycle as Nintendo systems get less and less games until Nintendo starts being nicer to the folks who make games in the first place.

tl;dr: Told you so.

All I know is that I didn't buy a 3DS when it first came out, my grades did :D.
(lol) Anyways after two months of having the 3DS I knew nintendo screwed up. Sure there is good stuff on the 3DS already, and 2 (good) games that came out. SSF4 3D was good, and Dead or alive dimensions was great. (The boob physics sure were). I still think there should be more good games out for It, but I guess they jumped the gun on this one. All the games that the people are actually caring about all come out in the after summer is over. I'm still not going to lose hope for it yet until I see how the most anticipated games turn out. Lets all hope they just don't pull off a Duke Nukem Forever.

Yes, 20 games which costs them 10 cents to emulate makes up for the 80 bucks.
Except you forgot to mention the game's worth. Some games there are really awsome. I mean, c'mon, Yoshi's Island. 'Nuff said.
also i got my 3ds as bday present, didnt pay a cent so i dont care =P

Its not so much the "worth" of the games, its that I am actually being compensated. I didn't expect anything for buying the game at $249, and I am totally ok with my purchase. I put my faith into this system, and while I probably wont be able to change your minds, I'm still awaiting the new releases. Portable Balloon Fight and Ice Climber and being able to play some of my favorite GBA titles again is just icing.

Its not so much the "worth" of the games, its that I am actually being compensated. I didn't expect anything for buying the game at $249, and I am totally ok with my purchase. I put my faith into this system, and while I probably wont be able to change your minds, I'm still awaiting the new releases. Portable Balloon Fight and Ice Climber and being able to play some of my favorite GBA titles again is just icing.

I couldn't of said that better myself.

Wow, a HUGE price drop so soon! I wonder how much Nintendo was profiting at launch? Oh, now they're losing money. They could of kept it at 200 dollars and maybe profit?
Also, with Nintendo's idiotic policies on who is allowed to develop for the system, I suspect that a lot of developers will continue to ignore the 3DS in favor of platforms like the iPhone and Android, which is going to start a vicious cycle as Nintendo systems get less and less games until Nintendo starts being nicer to the folks who make games in the first place.

tl;dr: Told you so.
You mean Indie developers? I think the 3DS and Wii U will start to allow bigger games and less rules for who can develop for it. In fact, they even took out the file size restriction. One of the biggest complaints for downloadable games/demos.

Many big full fledged developers will continue to support Nintendo and make games for their platforms. Why? They get money!

The biggest problem with developers is that casuals flood the crowd on their platforms. Look at the Wii and the poor sales of many hardcore games. A lot of developers just gave up with hardcore games. (A specific example is Madworld, Sega made a statement about it)

One of the biggest oddballs is the DSi is 150 dollars and DSi XL is 170. Why get those over a 3DS...?

Last edited:
You mean Indie developers? I think the 3DS and Wii U will start to allow bigger games and less rules for who can develop for it.

The size limits are not the problem. What is a problem is that Nintendo basically told Indie developers "fuck off". And quite frankly, I doubt they've changed in just a few months' time.

犬夜叉;705548 said:
[16:15] <@Inuyasha> http://www.develop-online.net/news/37315/Nintendo-We-dont-want-garage-developers
[16:15] <@Inuyasha> http://ca.kotaku.com/5752195/nintendo-frowns-on-most-cheap-iphone-games

Nintendo can go sod off. I don't care about anything new they're making anymore, and I'm trying to actively convince as many people away from a 3DS (and, if this proves to be true, whatever new "console" this is) as I can.

They want people like me to go away, and they want to convince people that the platforms that are helping developers like me get known and actually get paid decently for their work (compared to Nintendo's own services, where ... yeah, right) are "ruining" gaming?

Ridiculous.

Last edited:
The size limits are not the problem. What is a problem is that Nintendo basically told Indie developers "fuck off". And quite frankly, I doubt they've changed in just a few months' time.
In the article you posted, doesn't it say they are reaching out to independent developers? The ones they don't want are garage developers. (Whatever that means?)
Fils-Aime wouldn't call $1 iPhone staple Angry Birds disposable. He called that one "under-priced." But, he said, these cheap games create a "mentality for the consumer that a piece of gaming content should only be $2."
I think Reggie approves of Indie games, but he doesn't like the way they are priced.

For Lilt Line, it looks like it wasn't going to sell anyway. It is a port of a mobile game that didn't sell. That said, I'm not saying I approve of the decision to make it sell double sales for money.

Garage Developers are the groups of people without a large budget/team. Mojang is indie now, Notch used to be a garage dev, to give an example.

In other words, they won't let small devs without a nice budget to pay for licensing and such to develop for their consoles. They'd have to hit it big elsewhere if they even wanted to consider developing for a Nintendo console.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back