Sonic Boom: A new Sonic cartoon series, coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to remember that Lost World sold like ass in Japan.

Actually I might need a new analogy there, because I think ass would sell pretty well in Japan.

Yeah. Sonic Boom is not from Japan. It's being made in America.
So this is a Western Sonic.

...Does that explain the scarf?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WDFFo_uOy0

In this newly uploaded video interview with Stephen Frost, the producer of Sonic Boom, and Bob Rafei, the creative director of Boom, we get a better look at SEGA’s venue used to announce the “rebirth” of Sonic, as well as a few new details into the Boom Universe.
Like NO CHAOS EMERALDS!
Other details in case you can’t watch include:

• 3DS and further Wii U details for the game will be shown “At a later time”. E3? Some upcoming gaming convention? But it IS shared that there’ll be a map on the gamepad at least.
  • UPGRADES! You can use “currency”, rings maybe? To upgrade your characters and even the entire team if you want to! The way he says it implies there might be more playable characters than just Sonic, Tails, Amy and Knuckles that you can change out… we’ll see!
  • Challenge in the game won’t be that the enemies get tougher, etc. It’ll be secrets and abilities more experienced gamers can access throughout the levels from the get go. Interesting, no?
  • ALL of the levels are connected to the game’s story. So don’t expect a Dessert Ruins stunt without an explanation this time! LOL.
  • There’ll be another villain besides Eggman! The way it’s said leads me to believe it’s a new guy, but… we’ll see! And we’ll definitely see other characters that we already know and love, and the info for that’s coming in the next few months!
  • They made the characters “Accidental tourists” to “paradise” to keep them from being stuck with any certain level or environment. They just wanna have fun with the characters in a whole new world with no limits
Source: http://fuckyeahsonicboom.tumblr.com/...interview-with

No Chaos Emeralds... No Super Sonic... WHY?
It would have been interesting to see Super Sonic (Specially the Scarf *_*).

Well think about it, we're talking about Big Red Button and an alternate universe here. 1. Do you think Crash 3 would be better played with Crash having a combination of lv 3 mask and running shoes? 2. Sonic Boom's settings are in an area where neither eggman nor the heroes thought about going after emeralds. and 3. As far as the sonic series has treated the emeralds, Sonic is the only one going super. Tails needs super emeralds, no one cares about pink knuckles, and Amy doesn't have a super at all, So where's the fairness?

sonic team really doesn't do much with the emeralds anyway; the acquisition method is automatic nowadays, so it's just an endgame bonus. if sonic boom were to introduce chaos emeralds, chances are they wouldn't serve any gameplay purpose.

People have been talking about the chaos emeralds with mixed opinions; some think there may be a way to include Super Sonic w/o the use of emeralds (I personally find it unlikely), but we'll see.
In other news more info on the show has surfaced:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc7VQ9Ny1n4
Long story short, the show, which will be based on comedy with some action here and there, will not have continuity in each episode. To use Sonic Stadium's example, this show will be more similar to AoSTH than Sonic X as Sonic X used story arcs with follow ups with each episode whereas AoSTH could be viewed in any order.
More info from the source:http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/02/sonic-boom-tv-world-to-reset-in-every-episode
Personally not too stoked about the "world reset" formula being used for another CN cartoon. But this guy is totally chill so I'd like to say I kinda have faith in his competence...

010oxov6aj0k

It's horrible. :<

At least I tried.

About time. Super Sonic is just a bad Japanese anime cliche of collecting several mystical shiny items and gaining some kind of ultimate power. It was a nice easter egg in Sonic 2, hit its mainstream in Sonic 3, and then just got old from there.

Because this is a Western Sonic, they are probably looking to jettison any Eastern-centric plot items and settings as they can.

About time. Super Sonic is just a bad Japanese anime cliche of collecting several mystical shiny items and gaining some kind of ultimate power. It was a nice easter egg in Sonic 2, hit its mainstream in Sonic 3, and then just got old from there.

Because this is a Western Sonic, they are probably looking to jettison any Eastern-centric plot items and settings as they can.

Yeah, it's a very big cliché, but i liked him a lot. I was a very big fan of Sonic since his (as some people say) "Golden Years". It was awesome for me to have a more powerful version of Sonic in Sonic 2, but in Sonic 3 (And knuckles) Hyper Sonic was even more awesome. Too bad he got removed entirely. But i get it. It's kind of overused, specially in the main plot.

I agree with Super Sonic not being in this canon, but not for the reason you mention. TBH I'm surprised anyone gives two shits about cliches in a Sonic game, especially considering Sonic 2/3/Adventure were ripe with them.

Super Sonic was never intended to exist solely as a plot device, it was a reward for completing all the special stages in one playthrough/file; it was bad in subsequent games because its gameplay functionality was stripped entirely. It's good for the creators to be able to choose to discard it so that they can shape the storyline and gameplay without being tied down by legacy gimmicks.

Last edited:
Super Sonic was never intended to exist solely as a plot device, it was a reward for completing all the special stages in one playthrough/file; it was bad in subsequent games because its gameplay functionality was stripped entirely. It's good for the creators to be able to choose to discard it so that they can shape the storyline and gameplay without being tied down by legacy gimmicks.
Supersonic was originally intended to only be used during a final, optional boss that you could only fight after getting all emeralds. That didn't make it into sonic 2, so they just let you transform in regular levels instead.

Hidden Palace wasn't the only thing in sonic 3 that was originally meant for 2, after all. :P

Last edited:
I agree with SSN that "collect all of the emeralds and turn super to defeat the bad guy" is an overused plot in Sonic games, but the Chaos Emeralds haven't even been part of the plot much lately, and when they have, they've been secondary to a more important plot device (such as in Generations). If you ask me, they're at their best in games like Colors and Lost World, where they have no relevance to the main story of the game but you can collect them anyway by doing something extra (collecting red rings, completing Game Land stages, etc.) As long as they were a semi-secret like that and couldn't disrupt whatever feel the new developers want for the game, I'd really like to see them (and Super Sonic) make an appearance in Sonic Boom.

I agree with SSN that "collect all of the emeralds and turn super to defeat the bad guy" is an overused plot in Sonic games, but the Chaos Emeralds haven't even been part of the plot much lately, and when they have, they've been secondary to a more important plot device (such as in Generations). If you ask me, they're at their best in games like Colors and Lost World, where they have no relevance to the main story of the game but you can collect them anyway by doing something extra (collecting red rings, completing Game Land stages, etc.) As long as they were a semi-secret like that and couldn't disrupt whatever feel the new developers want for the game, I'd really like to see them (and Super Sonic) make an appearance in Sonic Boom.

I agree with this. Although, sometimes the emeralds could create a cool storyline. Think of Sonic 3D Blast, where Robotnik wanted to use the Flicky's warp powers to collect the 7 emeralds, or in SA2 how they needed the 7 emeralds to power up the Ark (which strangly looks like a giant Death Egg). I do agree that modern games like Sonic Colors and Lost World play the storyline without the emeralds quite well, however both last bosses didn't feel quite, final. Super Sonic kinda adds a quick, cool, shiny ending, and I love it when the final boss is a super sonic battle. What I recommend they do (which they won't since there are no emeralds), make a hidden last boss with the emeralds. Kinda like Sonic Colors DS.

What I recommend they do (which they won't since there are no emeralds), make a hidden last boss with the emeralds. Kinda like Sonic Colors DS.
You mean like Sonic Rush Adventure, because the Extra Boss in Colors DS was literally shoe-horned into the story just for the sake of having a Super Sonic boss fight.
In Sonic Rush Adventure though, where the Extra Boss is you fighting a metal wizard controlled by the Eggmen, the whole existence of the latter is subtly spoilered as you progress throughout the story, from Whisker's general design to him saying after his boss fight "If I don't bring this plunder back... Then ye shall all know his wrath, savvy?", explaining that he was working for someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back