Suggestions

Got to plan my dispersal; time to leave them all behind

I have never found any visual difference from the clones and the real yet, and it's bugging me, because I have to rely on luck if I want to time trial this. (Or force the same RNG by re-opening SRB2)

I'm pretty sure there's multiple differences but the only one I remember is that the clones have different eyes.

I have never found any visual difference from the clones and the real yet, and it's bugging me, because I have to rely on luck if I want to time trial this. (Or force the same RNG by re-opening SRB2)

The clones are fatter and have an opaque background. They also aren't animated.

The clones' heads are also much bigger than the original. But yeah, I gotta admit that DSZ3's boss fight is extremely annoying.

Also only the original makes shooting sounds. The clones do not have any soundeffects.
In my opinion the DSZ boss was totaly fine. The only thing that bugs me is when you play that stage in the openGL render and if Eggman goes to the middle he will be black what can make it hard to see and differ from the fakes.

Allow for more information to be placed on the Player Select for new skins, preferably in a page by page style. Many character wads on the forums right now play very much differently from normal characters, and those wads often have to tell the player to refer to the thread since they don't have enough space to put all the info required down. I guess you could probably just include a readme with the wad, but I think it'd be nicer to have that info readily accessible in-game.

I also wouldn't turn down putting in support for showing graphics on the aformentioned Player Select as well, such as being able to place an image of a specific HUD element for a character or something of that caliber.

Add an analog-specific linedef that transitions from one camera angle to another. This camera angle should be able to be set in a certain place that follows the player, or have it follow the player from behind, thus aleviating some of the need to have the player manually turn the camera.

A "camera focal point" object for the camera to selectively point to. Possible solution, make a linedef type that points to the tagged thing when triggered no matter where it is in the map, with another linedef to deactivate it. Some way to control the degree of influence on the camera's Y would be nice.

Also voting for stick sensitivity for movement, camera control and thok direction in analog mode, plus actual strafing. I know these must have been requested 30 times already, what's the holdup? (As in "what's stopping this" and not "hurry up already slaves")

EDIT: Plus a button to center the camera wherever the player's facing.

Last edited:
Nothing is stopping it. Nobody is implementing it.

There's a major difference between "X would be nice" and "I'm going to go implement X". Nobody on the team actually USES analog mode, and generally anything the dev team doesn't use gets neglected.

I figured, but you guys should give it a shot. I set it up just to see how the characters looked with my palette mods, and I wound up beating the whole game like that. The front sprite visibility, increased field of view and availability of camera control makes the game feel so much larger. Bounces are easier to pull off. Multidirectional thokking is a total improvement- backdashes and 90º launches around corners feel great, but the increased margin of error makes me more taciturn with my jumps.* It's tightening up player movement and correcting the pacing all at once (see also: "thokfest" complaints).

I dunno, I've been rolling keyboard for 12 years, but I kind of feel like it's the only way I want to play now. With a little polish, it could be the definitive way to play for anyone who isn't a competing veteran. It feels so right.

*EDIT: Of course this wouldn't be a thing with sensitivity for more than 8 angles so I don't know why I even brought it up

Last edited:
Just want to chime in that I actually really like the analog control scheme, and I've preferred it for a little while now. It feels more like a traditional platformer and I can actually see the awesome Chuckles front sprites. It's just that its implementation is so bad that I have to hamstring together a custom input method so that it's more precise.

The problem is that a lot of the dev team, myself included, finds analog mode to be absolutely unplayable. I can play the game without strafe FAR better than I can play the game in analog. I do agree that analog mode is what people expect from a 3D platformer, but even without fighting the camera constantly, I find it unusable.

I'd love to see it improved so people who choose to use it aren't shooting themselves in BOTH feet, but when nobody working on the game is actually using it, it's both hard to get motivation to fix it and hard to even test that the changes are an improvement.

Well I mean, my whole suggestion was to make it playable. Binding rotate camera L and R to the shoulder buttons on a pad makes it a hell of a lot more functional if anyone reading this hasn't tried it yet (using xpadder to max out the stick deadzones and minimize thok error helps too). To be clear, it won't ever top keyboard as a more precise input method for me, but I recognize its aesthetic appeal and I'm willing to trade off for that.

But then I'm a special case since I outright refuse to play 2D Sonic with my hands now. Control deprivation is super fun to me because it strips all motor memory and makes the game fresh again. Just saying, analog is fun and everyone should try it again in earnest

Last edited:
I assumed you'd bind the keys to reasonable things. I still find it so unplayable that I suspect I'd have better luck trying to play on a DDR pad.

If only I still had my Rock Band controllers so I could try mapping the game to a drumpad again.

Anyway, back around the time 2.1.12 was being put together I started work on making analog slightly better. I never did much for it, but there's a #define in the source code somewhere to enable what I had and there were a few changes that IMO made it a bit more playable. I didn't enable them for any official builds because I wasn't comfortable assuming those changes would be cool to the people who use analog. At some point when I'm not too busy fixing slopes and stuff I'll have to get a crew of analog mode players together to do a rework justice. (Any takers?)

But hey, at least you can use it in netgames now.

I regularly use analog mode since it makes the game a lot more playable for me as I use a controller for anything except for match (which I rarely play anyway), and I would be willing to give feedback on changes to the analog control mode.

It would be funny actually to have no limit to that: gigantic chains of players, hanging onto eachother, slightly swinging from the accelerations.

Glorious.

If they do so then you need to calculate each players weight. The more players hang on Tails the less flight power does Tails have. Eventually the players will drag Tails down, no matter what. But it would be funny to see that.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back