View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015   #32
TheXIIIthGuy
SHINING FINGER

Single Player/Coop maps:

1. Ghost Battle
Spoiler:

- Level design : The room that just slowly into a platform that rises up to your doom (kinda), the boss' appearance. The part inside the boss' head. PURE! GENIUS! The main stage feels a bit bland though.
- Obstacles (AKA boss) : The ghost's gimmicks are fun, a bit easy though but that's OK. The part inside its head though is pure brilliance. I love the fact that the ghost tries to crush you throughout the level (I was caught off guard, but I was crushed because I did a dumb move).
- Overall: I dunno about you guys, but if felt like fighting a boss in the Mario RPG series. The whole phase-transitionning stuff just doesn't help. It's not a bad point though. In fact, it was really well done. Great work!

2. Flicker Lights Zone
Spoiler:

- Level design : I LOVE IT! It feels like we're in an abandoned factory or something. The music choice only complements that.
- Obstacles : Pretty fair to be honest. The whole level's gimmick is announced in the map's name, and it does a good job introducing it at the beginning. Overall, you should have a difficult time in this map. The sour point is the eyes section: the lack of light made me think that you would put gaps between the laser, while you didn't (or I didn't notice it).
- Overall: It was a really tough choice with the map below, so it ended down to personal preference (they don't call me Darkside for nothin'). Good job with this map!

3. Eggmanway7
Spoiler:

- Level design : A race against Metal Sonic with moving platforms and lava. A pretty cool music to go along with that too. You nailed it! The level does really go along with the race. The alternate routes are a pretty nice addition. Too bad I didn't get to watch the scenery more.
- Obstacles : This level doesn't have hard platforming sections, and enemy placement is fair for this. I did pay attention to Metal Sonic, and the fact that he waits for the platforms as if he also was forced to go through the platforms is a very nice idea. Really like the idea of putting Detons, but they were a bit slow. Remember: it's a race, so players are supposed to go fast.
- Extra content : (I just got the info that the bad cutscenes were intentionally bad so this point has no right to exist, but I left it here anyway)
- Overall: Again, it was a really tough choice with the previous one. The level is great, the platforming sections are fair and even enemy placement is well-thought. It's a great map, and I'm eager to see more from that duo.

4. Mother Lode Canyon Zone
Spoiler:

- Level design: Another huge map. It's not a sin to make big maps, but this one is too big. And the lack of details doesn't help. I do like the room at the beginning though.
- Obstacles: This is something that goes along well with the size of the map: besides for one area that requires you to beat some bots, the map is COMPLETELY EMPTY. Seriously, you have a huge map. Why not place enemies in it?
- Overall: When I saw that beginning sequence, I thought I did find the mother lode (HA), but I was clearly disappointed by the rest. There is some potential though; just keep working on the level and you'll get something really good.

5. Emerald Flower Zone
Spoiler:

- Level design: This level is basically GFZ1 XL. It is huge, and it doesn't need to be that way. Otherwise, nothing really interesting.
- Obstacles: If this was supposed to be a enlarged version of GFZ1, the difficulty was right: not too difficult. The size of the level can make things very confusing for new players though.
- Overall: Not much to say about this map. It's simple, but needlessly big.

Match maps:

1. Archive Stronghold Zone
Spoiler:

- Level design: This map is eye-candy. So much attention to detail, that I still haven't found all the paths to secret stuff and such. Hell, some people told me the map could be used for RPs and I definitely agree with them. It's a bit huge though, so it's hard to find people in the map with all the details.
- Object placement: The weapon placement complements the level design: quite a few of these are placed in more detailed spots (Grenades in a bedroom, Explosions in a broken cell or something, etc). This map also has a nice space/ring-weapon equilibrium.
- Overall: One of the best maps in this contest, no doubt. The design and the weapon placement go along pretty well.

2. Rocky Field Zone
Spoiler:

- Level design: Another good-looking map. Lots of details were added to this map. While I find it annoying, the pedestals holding the Semi-Random Monitors are a really good idea. Kind of small, but not really a big deal (well, if you disregard the next point that is).
- Object placement: Weapon placement does complement the level pretty well too. However, there's a small problem with it: there is a lot of weapons in one single room. While this tactic is hindered by how it is design, one could guard that middle area and have most of the powerful weapons for himself. Another problem of this map is that it's way too generous with rings. I don't mind a map that gives you more rings than usual, but if there's a lot of rings around, management becomes a non-issue, which can be pretty troublesome once a skilled player has all the weapons he needs.
- Overall: A great map. Another beauty too look at, and the object placement, even if it widens the gap between the most powerful players around and the others, is well-thought. Great work!

3. Seabound Ruin Zone
Spoiler:

- Level design: Another huge map. Again, it might seem that I hate huge maps, but I don't. However, there's a slight problem with this one: it's way too open. I dislike one of the maps that is already in SRB2 (guess which one) for this same reason (and a few others). Disregarding that, this map is quite detailed for its size.
- Object placement: Again, pretty good. But due to the size of the map, finding all the weapons is going to be troublesome if you don't remember them all (I played this map enough times to remember these, but even then, I was confused).
- Overall: Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad map. But the map's size along with it being very open makes running around very confusing.

4. Grift Relic Zone
Spoiler:

- Level design: Bad, just bad. The level's way too big (jeez, I am bullying the big maps, am I not), and lots of stuff is wrong with the design: a completely useless zone, a rail corridor (the huge corridor that leads to a random monitor and 2 Grenade Rings), and an obstacle that can be triggered by SPECTATORS. Also, a huge problem with the pipes is that it doesn't handle multiple players: by my experience, only the first joiner can enter the pipe on the top, and he can't get out through the small pipe next to the Infinity Rings, so he's stuck there. Until he spectates. Also, what's the point of that huge pool?
- Object placement: Some of the weapons' placement is good enough, but some are really bad: the Autos under the big pool, the Scatters right under the Thwomps (and I should remind you that they are triggered by spectators), and the Rails in the bugged pipe area. The rings' placement, if not slightly too generous, is pretty lazy.
- Overall: I'm sorry to be straightforward, but this map reeks of one word: laziness. The concept is nice, but DEFNITELY needs some work.

CTF maps:

1. Magma Plant
Spoiler:

- Level design: Very nice. Maps that use lava are often regarded as annoying (looking at you, Infernal Cavern Zone and Molten Fissure Zone), but in this, it doesn't feel annoying at all. In fact, it's a non-issue if you pay attention.
- Object placement: This is also well-done. Not much to say about those, although I did notice some rings that are too close to the ground. Hint: look near the bases.
- Overall: Not bad, not bad at all. The level itself is good, but some things could use some work here and there.

2. Dual Heavens Zone
Spoiler:

- Level design: The map itself is good-looking. The hill part does slow down players with flag, but there's an alternate route, so it's not a big deal.
- Object placement: Let's get this out of the way first: WHERE ARE THE AUTOS? I have spent eons (hyperbole if you didn't notice) trying to find them, but to no avail. Second of all, I noticed some randomly placed rings right next to the pit, below the Infinity Rings. Any purpose for these? Third and finally, the Rails' placement is really random if you ask me. Otherwise, really nice job with the rest.
- Overall: As much as I'm trashing the makers for the object placement, it's not a bad map. But most of the problems I mentionned should be fixed (it's fine if you let Rails there, but it's really random). Do that, and this map will become really nice to play on (not that it's unplayable or something).

Alright, now back to non-existence I go!

Last edited by TheXIIIthGuy; 07-06-2015 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Finally tested the Match/CTF maps (WHOOO)