Dedicated Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

a441

I'm currently running a dedicated server. I don't plan to keep it up forever, but for judging the December level design contest, it should be useful.

Before you join, a few rules:

1. Get the wad first, from this topic. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE WAD FROM THE GAME SERVER.

2. Cable/DSL or faster only. Unfortunately, dialup is too slow and will lag the game for everyone.

3. Close any bandwidth hogs you have open before joining. IRC is okay, pretty much anything else (BitTorrent, Kazaa, AIM, MSN Messenger, etc.) is not.

That said, the server is 68.100.130.21. Enjoy. And I'll post status updates here.

Server is back up. The crash was apparently coincidental, and not the result of homing. However, I have patched the dedicated server so this crash should not happen again.

Sorry, I made that announcement a few minutes too early, as there was something else I needed to fix. Server is now up and should stay that way.

Server gave everyone a consistency failure and then crashed. Currently looking into the problem.

Server is back. I'm not really sure what caused the crash (it was homing-related), but I changed something that might fix it.

Server is down due to my cable going out. I post this using dialup. I hope the issue will be resolved within the next few minutes and not continue for hours as it sometimes does.

New record for posting in a row! :lol: Seriouly, is the server still up?

Unless I post that it's down, it should still be up.

To anyone complaining about lag, I've been monitoring the server's bandwidth usage, and it has stayed well within the capabilities of my connection. Any lag you experience is caused by a player.

If this changes, and there is an issue, I will post about it.

I added a rule 3. I hope this will reduce lag.

i have a thing to say, it is now really llate and your server is still up. and no one is in there. is it becoming semi-permanet?

"semi-permenant" is pretty much the meaning of a Dedicated server..
Usually, a dedicated server is up 24/7 so that people can join whenever, though this probably isn't the case.
But yeah, it should be up pretty much all day for however long a441 decides it should be..
But then, I'm an idiot, what would I know?

I'm taking the server down for a little while. It's not gone forever, but I need my CPU back at the moment.

I'm proud to say it exceeded 24 hours of continuous uptime.

a441 said:
I'm proud to say it exceeded 24 hours of continuous uptime.

WHOO! *throws a party*
Probably the first srb2 server to stay up that long :P.

/me gives everyone party hats and a glass of punch.

Wow. That has been the longest server ever up for SRB2 fans I think. I'm proud to have been the longest person other than the actual host to be on the server! Something is bugging me, though. Why did everyone throw rings at me when I said "hi" to people coming in? :P

YAY! PARTY! *joins party*

... The food is bad!

*is pelted with rings and dies many times*

No one has actually played since I put the server back up. Because of that, and because I need the CPU, server is down until 2005.

Then people will start coming back from vacations and it can hopefully get some use again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back