• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Race Project - 2D Circuit [r_2DCircuit.wad]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppyfaic

The goal of this project is to successfully replace all current maps in the official SRB2 Circuit Rotation with 2D maps that all feature separate paths made specifically for Sonic, Tails and Knuckles.
When a player reaches the end, they are teleported back to the beginning of whatever path they were on, and repeat it until all laps are completed.

Proof-of-concept pictures included: (Please note that this is in a VERY, VERY EARLY STAGE.)
rapypt.png

wmife1.png

10r33p2.png

The focus of this is not detail and decoration(As many claim 2D is all about), but gameplay and utilizing separate characters' abilities.

I would really like help in this. The process would move much quicker having three people working on separate paths for each level. I.E. I work on all of Sonic's paths, someone else works on all of Tails' paths, and someone else works on all of Knuckles' paths. If you would like to help, download this, edit a path from start to finish in any way you choose, and send back to me via a Private Message(PM). If it looks and plays well enough, you'll receive a PM from me saying that you are part of the crew, and your name will be added to one of the three slots at the bottom of this post.
Bottom path is Sonic's.
Middle path is Tails'.
Top path is Knuckles'.

I will be working on Sonic's paths by default. However, that might change if someone submits an edit that surpasses what I am currently working on.

Mappers:
Sonic: Kirblord23
Tails: OPEN
Knuckles: OPEN

Last edited:
I like of the idea, but there's one problem:

Knuckles obviously have the disadvantage,since his path is on the top, he'd need to climb,and this would desacelerate him, while Sonic and tails will pass directly. This would happen with all the characters that would have their paths on the top,so, I don't know why you want to make 3 paths(one to each char) instead of make 2 paths(one for sonic and one for tails/knux), or only make 1 single path and we will have a perfect place to do a thokfest(I don't have problems with thokfests).

I like of the idea, but there's one problem:

Knuckles obviously have the disadvantage,since his path is on the top, he'd need to climb,and this would desacelerate him, while Sonic and tails will pass directly. This would happen with all the characters that would have their paths on the top,so, I don't know why you want to make 3 paths(one to each char) instead of make 2 paths(one for sonic and one for tails/knux), or only make 1 single path and we will have a perfect place to do a thokfest(I don't have problems with thokfests).

What I meant by top/middle/bottom was this:
1r3wk6.png

The reason I wouldn't make a Tails/Knuckles path together is because of the fact that that would leave Sonic all alone, and I want everyone to have their own paths that use their specific abilities. And besides, 2D doesn't allow for thokfests. You can never see what's in front of you very well, can you? :>

Last edited:
How are you planning on restricting a path to be only for Sonic? The Spin-Fly technique is very powerful and can break a few speed-based hazards.

How are you planning on restricting a path to be only for Sonic? The Spin-Fly technique is very powerful and can break a few speed-based hazards.

By putting him on a path completely isolated from Tails/Knuckles?
When the player spawns, the sector that they spawn it runs a script that changes whoever spawned there to a certain chararcter. Sonic's path changes you to Sonic, Tails' to Tails, etc. Upon completing a lap, if you happen to be another character, it switches you back to whatever character you should be right away. Quite annoying for cheaters, I must say.

You'll need to put this script in all the sectors of the path, because when the player go out of the certain sector, he can change the character as well.

Mappers:
Sonic: Kirblord23
Tails: OPEN
Knuckles: OPEN

I wanna be Knuckles!

PLEASE!?
I make 2d maps 200,000 times better than 3d ones.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

By putting him on a path completely isolated from Tails/Knuckles?
When the player spawns, the sector that they spawn it runs a script that changes whoever spawned there to a certain chararcter. Sonic's path changes you to Sonic, Tails' to Tails, etc. Upon completing a lap, if you happen to be another character, it switches you back to whatever character you should be right away. Quite annoying for cheaters, I must say.

By the way, how would I use this script? Would you send it to me? Would it add items to the doom builder (or whatever is used for the script)?
So many questions. X_X

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

You'll need to put this script in all the sectors of the path, because when the player go out of the certain sector, he can change the character as well.

Because this seems like it'd be REALLY hard to deal with... T_T

No, I won't. I'll just have the skin reset after every lap. It'll annoy cheaters, trust me. Probably to the point where they'll give up and play regularly :>

And Chao. The script is literally just "Skin Sonic", "Skin Tails", or "Skin Knuckles"(depending on the path). It's already integrated into the wad, so you don't need to worry about it at the moment. You'll see what I mean when you open up the wad in any kind of editor.

Last edited:
Probably not, there are people that use the command: "bind *key* skin sonic/tails/knuckles". They would change characters quickly and wouldn't worry too much with this. You don't need to put this script in every sector, you can only put it in 4 or 6 sectors in the map, and this will realy annoy cheaters.

Probably not, there are people that use the command: "bind *key* skin sonic/tails/knuckles". They would change characters quickly and wouldn't worry too much with this. You don't need to put this script in every sector, you can only put it in 4 or 6 sectors in the map, and this will realy annoy cheaters.

It won't work, because the person will need to be still for the skin to switch. And most don't want to risk valuable time standing still to play properly.

That and lolwhowantstobesoniconatailsorknucklesroute
So pretty much only people who end up on the Sonic route can cheat. The players spawn at random after the third player.

Let's modify that:

*but lolwhowantstobetailsinsonicroutejusttospindashandfly
but lolwhowantstobetailsonknucklesroute
but lolwhowantstobekucklesontailsroute

It isn't realy true, but if you don't take care, the little time to still and change the skin will compensate, like: Tails will spin-and-fly, then, tails will pass sonic, or even: tails can fly and pass the knuckles obstacles quickly than himself, etc,etc,etc.
To a map like this works as well, you'll need to be very careful to each detail, and make sure that any character can't pass the other character's path, or at least try it. =\

Let's modify that:

*but lolwhowantstobetailsinsonicroutejusttospindashandfly
but lolwhowantstobetailsonknucklesroute
but lolwhowantstobekucklesontailsroute

It isn't realy true, but if you don't take care, the little time to still and change the skin will compensate, like: Tails will spin-and-fly, then, tails will pass sonic, or even: tails can fly and pass the knuckles obstacles quickly than himself, etc,etc,etc.
To a map like this works as well, you'll need to be very careful to each detail, and make sure that any character can't pass the other character's path, or at least try it. =\

The majority of players will wind up on Tails' or Knuckles' route by percentage theories. So I'm only constructing paths to make sure that their respective characters can play them with enough skill, and to make sure that each one takes around the same amount of time to complete.

I want Tails's route PLEASE!!! I can do everything (remember you asked how to put grass borders) for this! Please! I'll work on it!

Frankly, this sounds like a terrible idea. Having separate paths for all 3 characters makes it nigh impossible to balance between them, not to mention 2D mode's horrible physics and even MORE Thokfest qualities. That, and you completely ignore 2D's strength: The ability to do scenery without worrying about the player crawling over it and breaking the level. I see none of that here, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say that you haven't gotten to that yet.

Frankly, I see NO reason to make individual paths for the 3 character types a good idea at all, as it just takes away something from race; it's like two players are on two completely different levels. It's not like you can't NOT put the same characters on the same plane. It's probably possible to balance them if you try to nerf Sonic's abilities here and there with obstacles to give Tails & Knux something against Thokfests. Though, given how Sonic is supposed to be THE fastest and has the ability to reach top speed with a double jump, it would be quite difficult, multi-plane or not.

I still wish SRB2 Riders could be ported...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back