[Open Assets] Encore Mode

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FuriousFox

AKA FuriousFox
Inspired by Sonic Mania Plus, this Lua script allows you to swap between two active characters (one controlled by a bot or player 2), as well as keep other characters in reserve. Get extra characters by popping 1UP monitors; you can get any character that you have loaded. If you die, you'll automatically switch to your partner character and receive a new partner from your reserves.

• Be sure to start the game as Sonic & Tails, or else you won't have a bot that you can swap with.
  • Swap character with the "Toss Flag" button.
  • Any power-ups you have will swap to the new character.
  • You cannot swap if your follower is dead or missing. You also cannot swap while super.
  • When you die, you will have a 3 second grace period where you cannot take damage. If you die again within this grace period, you will be taken back to the last starpost, but you will not lose your current character. This is so you don't lose 2 lives every time you get crushed or fall in a pit.
  • When you run out of characters, it's game over. If you have any continues, you will restart from the beginning of the level with the last 2 characters that were living.

This script is intended solely for single-player mode. It likely will not work in any of the multi-player modes.

CHANGELOG:

v1.0
Initial Release

v1.1
Added SFX for switching characters
Fixed a problem that prevented the script from running at startup
Fixed a problem that caused dying characters to immediately disappear

v1.2
Added SFX for being unable to change characters
Added a shuffle monitor, which randomizes your party order
Shuffle monitors currently only appears in 1UP monitors when you have all characters
Fixed the player's skin immediately switching on death when unable to switch to your bot
Player flags now swap as well, which should fix several bugs people have noticed
Fixed a problem that caused Analog Mode to stop working after switching characters

Attachments

• srb20032.gif
    srb20032.gif
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,560
  • srb20033.gif
    srb20033.gif
    3.4 MB · Views: 1,533
  • srb20034.gif
    srb20034.gif
    8 MB · Views: 1,500
  • srb20044.gif
    srb20044.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,541
  • srb20019.jpg
    srb20019.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,620
  • Encore.lua
    9.6 KB · Views: 4,260
Last edited:
Complains

Here are 2 minor flaws I would point out.

1: The CPU and the Player have different ring counts, but the HUD only shows the combined ring count, leading to at times unfair deaths because your CPU has all the rings

2: if you switch the character while having the shield, it becomes invisible, even if you switch back, granted you can see the shield if you go First Person but it can be easy to forget that you have on

Otherwise, fantastic stuff!

Edit: This might be I have the "Plus.wad" enabled but i'm not sure

Last edited:
I can't test those two right now, but I'm almost certain that the shield stuff was fixed before I released. If you have other scripts such as plus.wad loaded, that could be causing interference.

EDIT: Yeah, I just checked. I'm not able to recreate either of those problems.

Last edited:
Thanks! also i'm not curtain this even works for me, because having the script alone doesn't work (without plus.wad)

What files are you loading when you play?

If you can, open log.txt, then copy and paste it into pastebin.com. Then give me the link to it.

Okay, I think I see the problem. Since you're loading the addons at start-up, I guess the skins list hasn't been created yet, so it throws an error in my script when I try to set some things up. This is something I'll need to fix, but in the meantime just use the in-game console to load the script after the game has started.

Ok got it, Thanks!

just saying you might want to edit the front page to say that

Last edited:
I've uploaded a new version that should work when loaded from a launcher or command line now. This new version also adds a sound effect when switching characters, and makes it so that the dying character actually goes through their death animation instead of just disappearing.

There's still a few other things I need to fix, but I'll have to get to them later.

I just uploaded another version.

Added SFX for being unable to change characters
Added a shuffle monitor, which randomizes your party order
Shuffle monitors currently only appear in 1UP monitors when you have all characters
Fixed the player's skin immediately switching on death when unable to switch to your bot
Player flags now swap as well, which should fix several bugs people have noticed
Fixed a problem that caused Analog Mode to stop working after switching characters

Last edited:
Well, all new encore mod to srb2? people knew that this would be a wad, but amazing one

Im only getting a girlfriend when srb2.2 gets released...
bye relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back