Official Level Design Contest Voting: May/June 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was using the contest as an example for those who thought it was ban evasion.
Anyway, does it matter? The level was only a beta anyway....

I would think it would because of unenforced contest rule 2.

What Mystic wrote in the post that was linked to was
Mystic said:
All you need to do is say "Test my contest entry" and it's fine.

The "unreleased" restriction is in place to prevent people from taking ancient maps, changing something, and entering them into the contest. It is not there to prevent you from properly testing your map, and it is not there to cause forum drama. The entire purpose is to prevent me from taking something like AGZ, changing something, and entering it into the contest.

You never even said that the level was for the contest.

Blue Warrior said:
BlueZero4 said:
Limestone Ruin Zone by Chaos - 0/10
Already been released, lazy.

This is not a valid score. Mystic has already stated that the entry is qualified, as the previous release of Chaos's map was only for beta testing.
Well, blarg. There's a score there anyway. However, I would just like to note that there's a big difference between private testing and public beta. :X

Gosh, and I thought I was going to get some reviews for my map.

Match Division

Hyrule Temple 3/10

It was far too small, I spawned right next to the only rail ring too. The more important items were too close together and the scenery got in the way when trying to shoot some one. I expected better from you.

Plumber's Tower 3/10

It was interesting at first, but it got old really fast. Two of the areas are too small to fight in, only the above ground is large enough. The Idea of a Mario Themed Match level is a good idea, but this needs a lot of work.

Gritzy Gultch O_o/10

I only played my own level once in a netgame, but it played differently than I thought it would, maybe a few more playthroughs would change that.

Ok...Time to rate!
Coop/Single player ratings:
Elemental Mansion Zone 1(EMZ1)By SonicMaster - 10/10
Awesome man!It's funny the spambot(Whatever it's called)At 1 of the plataforms in the lava part...The ice and sand parts were aslo too...I'll have to test the another part soon.
EDIT:Both another parts are fine...
Arid Oasis Zone(AOZ)By Hyperknux - Rule/Breaking
This has been released before...Exactly on this Message Board...
EDIT:Here
Limestone Ruin Zone(LRZ)By Chaos - 8/10
I was gonna put a 9/10 but i think this map is rule-Breaking...
Awesome!Almost like EMZ1!The only problem:The traps aren't noted...Maybe if you get out the colormap...It could work?
EDIT:Lowered 1 point...Because i was in sb's server and we got stuck there!
Another EDIT:Since the map isn't rule-breaking...I gave 1 point on.
Techno Meadows Zone(TMZ)By gaiamegu64@yahoo.com (Unknown) - 1/10
You're a begginer...You shouldn't try to get into the OLDC if you're a starter...I noted it because most of the levels are based of this type...
Limestone Lake Zone(LLZ)By Zanyhead - 9/10
The music is awesome...All is awesome!The only problem...The detons;Why the hell do you put such an enemy like that in this map?
Magma Core Zone(MCZ)By Blade T. Hedgehog - 10/10!
Awesome Blade!You gave the RVZ gimmicks a new world!This is challenging!I aslo loved the turret at the beggining in hard mode!
Coop/Single Player notes:Wow...Alot of Coop maps this time!It's a challenge to get to the exit on them!The only one that didn't made it was Hyperknux's Arid Oasis Zone...
Match/Tag ratings
Grittzy Gultch Zone(GGZ)By Chrome The Hedgehog - 5/10
The Earth part was a little small...That gets 2 points out.
The water part was huge.That gets 2 points out.
The pit on the water is not notable...That gets 1 point out.
Not"Awesome"A bit boring...
Hyrule Temple(HT)By N. Cenz - 1/10
Are you a begginer?If so...You shouldn't try to get into the OLDC if you're a starter...I noted it because this is too flat...Without 32 Deathmatch starts...And no places to hide(In Hide'n Seek)
Plumber's Tower Zone(PTZ)By SonicMaster - 10/10
This should took you alot...A FOFOF...It's a bit hard to do...Alot of SFXs and teleports...This is perfect!
Match/Tag notes:Not alot of match maps...But this maps are totally fun!
Race ratings:
Backwards Race Zone(BRZ)By SonicMaster - 4/10
I liked the gimmicks of this map but too many obstacles...
Cosmic Caves Zone(CCZ)By Simsmagic - 0/10
Too flat...A bland thokfest level...Thok,Thok,Thok and win!!!Is that fun?No...Aslo...Why that sped pads?That speed pad ways are for lazy persons!Not alot of bottomless pits obstacles to stop the player from thoking...
Race notes:Suckish and suckish world!
CTF ratings:
Jagged Valley Zone(JVZ)By Roy - 0/10
It's easy to get to the flags...Both ways...Like that Super Mario CTF Zone...In other words...Too flat.
Scorching Ice Floe Zone(SIFZ)By Oogaland - 5/10
Too hard...It's not easy to get to the other base if you have Control Lag...That gets 2 points out...The lake had only springs at the sides...Meanwhile i searching them meanwhile drowning in Blade's Server(Mostly all of this was tested in said server)Blade told me that they were at the sides...That gets 1 point out...The parts aren't the same...If it's with lava,Both sides must be with lava.If it's with Ice,Both sides must be with Ice.That took 2 points out.
CTF Notes:See race notes...

Um, yes, Backwards Race Zone is backwards. Most NiGHTS races have you go right; this one made you go left. The left arrow right at the start, as well as the name, should have hinted you.

Elemental Mansion Zone, Act 1 by SonicMaster - 8/10
This level is really good. I like how explorable, and detailed it is, and the theme was blended in rather well. One thing I didn't like, however, was how most every room played exactly like the other. Like someone previously stated, it was usually just one unchallenging clockwise platforming room after the other. I also didn't know why the heck you put an invisible floor in the air themed part, it just didn't fit in. However, I really liked the easter eggs, and the big secret. Overall, the map was pretty solid.

Arid Oasis Zone by Hyperknux - 6/10
I don't know if this is disqualified, so I'll give this a rating anyway. I really liked the scenery in the background, and the level design was pretty nice. However, I don't think the themes mixed together well. Temple-ish theme +Sonic+Mario didn't feel too good. Also, I didn't like how suddenly you're on a ledge, with no visibility to what's ahead or below. It messed with the flow a bit. Also, the level was rather short, but I don't think of that as a major flaw.

Limestone Ruin Zone by Chaos - 6/10
The level was good as far as looks go, but it was somewhat strange in terms of gameplay. I liked how you put scenery on either side of the entrance, but the shading didn't fit in well. And as I have said before, it's pretty much impossible to dodge the things inside the water current place without knowing it was there before. There were also some areas which were kind of flat and bland in terms of gameplay. Nevertheless, the map was enjoyable, and I can tell that you put some effort into the map.

Techno Meadows Zone by gaiamegu64 - 1/10
1 point for knowledge of basic mapping. I can't think of much criticism for this map beyond "KEEP PRACTICING"
I have to disagree with Superusuario, I think it's a good idea to enter your first map into the contest. It's a great way to get criticism and see how your map can improve.

Limestone Lake Zone by Zanyhead - 4/10
Good on the eyes, but bad in terms of gameplay. I kept going in circles for a long time until I found the uncanny place where the exit sector lay. I also didn't like how small that bridge was, or how it did a 90 degree turn. I don't exactly know why, but 90 degree turns just don't work in SRB2, unless there is some space to turn. Also, enemy placement was horrendous. There were too many bunched up on just one platform, and that made it hard to get anywhere without getting overly annoyed.

Magma Core Zone by Blade T. Hedgehog - 8/10
It has improved since I last beta tested it. I like the falling rocks gimmick, but it wasn't implemented in a very good manner. Also, I didn't like the music very much. I had to switch the tunes to RVZ to make it through the map. Even though I knew about the spindash platforming trick, I have to say that I still don't like it. It makes it hard to get to the next platform without jumping over it, or going back down. Also, Sonic suffers from a huge disadvantage in this level. It's a cakewalk with tails or knuckles. Nevertheless, I still liked the map a lot. It seems you have put a lot of work into it, and it payed off. Quite a fun map.

Nice work guys, this is much better than the last months pack...

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
Now that he's been banned for evasion, do Rekk's votes still count? His review of my level seemed like total garbage and nonsense to me.
No, they don't count. But it hit home on several points that I thought needed to be addressed.

Someone, please tell me they backed that up. Please? ;_;

Sega does the invisible floor thing sometimes. One example I can think of is Hang Castle from Sonic Heroes.
I thought we agreed that Sega does some things that are very bad. Saying "oh well sega did it so it must be graet" isn't a valid excuse.

Yes, Sega makes lots of mistakes. I can find quite a few cheap areas in SatSR, for example. But they also do some things that were right, and I thought the invisible floor was one of them. You see, the pillars define the edge of the invisible floor, and the presence of Crawlas and Rings show that it's actually invisible.

Well, it's the air section, and it looks like you're standing on air, so...I thought it did fit. Ah, well.

And please, people, we need multiplayer votes, really badly.

I'll vote as soon as I play a netgame that rotates through at least one whole division.

The only multilayer I value lately has been offline, so I don't see the point of me reviewing verses levels.

Elemental Mansion Zone Act 1 by SonicMaster 1/10

WOW. I really disliked this level. Here's why:

1) Unintuitive. Everything I'd seen before in either blue haven or Mystic Realm.
2) Bland. Uninteresting to look at, and repetitive to play.
3) Big. Size wouldn't have been such a problem, except that you didn't do anything with it. At all.
4) Boring. An entire level composed of large square platforms is just as interesting as it sounds.
5) Ugly. Skipping from generic theme to generic theme is bad, simply put. One simple, fleshed out theme would've worked better than only using one texture a room.
6) Gamedata. How important do you think you are? Seriously? This is a joke, right?

Try working from a smaller scale, working slower and adding detail, or just don't put out so much space that you can't use it well. Whatever you change, your next level needs to be built from a completely different perspective.

Mind you that these are only suggestions, but if all you're going to achieve is basic running and jumping, at least add some visual entertainment.

Arid Oasis Zone by Hyperknux 7/10

Very good. I have only two complaints. Firstly, Srb2's 2d mode isn't worth playing/designing for most of the time, as it uses 3d physics that aren't suited for 2d gameplay. Secondly, I died a LOT. That's not necessarily your fault, but you could have added an FOF guard here and there when I spin across red springs. Also, most of your red springs looked like yellow ones would've worked fine.

Limestone Ruin Zone by Chaos 2/10

You get a 2 because of the first 20 seconds of game play. After that, what the crap? Crushers in a "room" with under 64 unit height and current? Common sense, please! On the flip side, the first 2 rooms were kinda nice.

Techno Meadows Zone by gaiamegu64 3/10

Do 2 things to help this level.
1) Cange the music, textures, and flats so it isn't so ridiculously generic.
2) Mix up the heights and give the player (me) something interesting to do.

Limestone Lake Zone by Zanyhead 5/10

The difficulty was too high, and the caves were slightly cramped and uninteresting. Don't put deton's in water, and make falling in the water less punishing. Backtracking so far so many times is boring. Also, change around some heights to make game play more exiting, or something.

Advice: Privately release the level to get some feedback before you send it to the contest. Some simple changes would've made this level a lot more fun.

Magma Core Zone
by Blade T. Hedgehog 6/10
Good level. I'd have given it an 8, but the extreme difficulty of it. At a bare minimum, lower the rising speed of the lava.

I said already; gamedata is simply to reset the emeralds. I started doing it after BlueZero4 complained about turning Super Sonic in Super Special Stage Zone, and giving gamedata is really what he suggested. I didn't want people to turn Super Sonic in any of my stages, actually. This was before I knew that you can use ScriptIsLump and such to achieve the same effect. But I do it this way, anyway.

Unfortunately, I really am not going to listen to your suggestions, simply because your opinion is basically the polar opposite of the majority.

Woah, these are the most varied results I've seen in a contest.

Well, it's the air section, and it looks like you're standing on air, so...I thought it did fit. Ah, well.

Honestly, I think it would, if done right. At times when you can't tell what's ground and what's a bottomless pit, however, you'd best make it a transparent floor and not a blank floor.

I don't know if any of you have played Star Fox Assault, but the simple stages in VS mode show a good example of how an invisible floor can actually look good and not just be obstructive.

And please, people, we need multiplayer votes, really badly.

You expect a bunch of non-noob people to play the maps on a noob master server.

...Well, okay, I plan on it. It's going to take a while, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back