Contest Discussion Topic (2.1.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a reminder guys, there is only one week left until OLDC voting starts now. All submissions should be entered by 7PM (Eastern US Time, or GMT-4) on October 31st.

srb20236.png

Don't worry, I just started with a level!

It looks like. And I really don't wanna see an ugly round FOF Moon floating in the sky :S
Also, I wish you luck to finish your level, Spherallic.
You guys are gonna blame me again in the voting section, but my entry is a NewHorizons related level. Tough, it's not as boring as FRZ1!

2rmqvqg.png

Obvious path split and... Oh look top right of the image :O
54vfcj.png

OMFG LAT' YOU'VE PUT VERTICAL PLATFORMING. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!?
2573hmo.png

What if I tell you this red thing is bouncy mud?

Well, I have to say from both screenshots that the shadows look pretty damn realistic compared to where the Moon is in the sky. Tough, the water seems a big too big, you should manage to put a smaller texture because it looks weird to have a water texture so big compared of the eventual water that could be used in the level.

You're both wrong, no midtextures or FOFs at all! It is situated in the skybox though, so Neo's half-right I guess?
I was asking you to tell me that they're midtextures because that would be the proper lightweight way to do it. FOFs are overkill, and you don't need planes, so you don't need sectors either. The only other options I can think of are midtextures and mobjs, and you're not using mobjs.

My conclusion? You're either a liar, using an unoptimal method, or a magician.

I point out that Sphere's entry is for a multiplayer level, which kinda prevents him from using midtextures themselves in a sane way (since custom textures aren't allowed in Match/CTF divisions).

i point out that sphere's entry is for a multiplayer level, which kinda prevents him from using midtextures themselves in a sane way (since custom textures aren't allowed in match/ctf divisions).

*snip deleted comment*

Last edited:
So you mean the moon is actually made out of... Floating blocks...? :S

Nope, the moon is made out of a floating circle. SRB2DB/DB2 has a tool which you can use to make a circle.

This is rather a custom texture for me, which would mean it is once again a single player level.
It's a multiplayer entry, you can see a bounce ring panel in the circle of flowers.

Okay, blame me for this awful misstake ><
Anyways, here is more veritical platforming in a unfinished section I started like 30 minutes ago.

2djb80h.png

I point out that Sphere's entry is for a multiplayer level, which kinda prevents him from using midtextures themselves in a sane way (since custom textures aren't allowed in Match/CTF divisions).
64x64 snow texture
"Tile midtextures X times" linedef flag trick
Y offsets
Profit

That still limits you to multiples of 64 or whatever texture's height for heights of various parts of the structure. Using offset sectors (as he does in the level, according to a DB screenshot he shared) may be less efficient, but the difference is negligible and allows for greater flexibility in the situations where it works. The difference in performance will hardly affect framerate unless a similar effect is used for many things that are visible at once.

Last edited:
That still limits you to multiples of 64 or whatever texture's height for heights of various parts of the structure.
Well the original picture had it much blockier, so it was definitely doable there!

I'm not discrediting the way it looks now or how it's implemented -- it looks great -- but I'm just saying, if I had the first one as the target image to reproduce, I would've used the repeating midtexture trick.

Looking at the screenshot, I am pretty sure that is a cannon ball colored white....

CBLLA0.png

I am guessing he used a super thick color map to change it from black to white though.

EDIT: And if it's not that, then it could also be the disco ball.

DBALA0.png

Last edited:
So... we only have one submission for this OLDC contest voting coming up tomorrow.

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out whether we'll have a contest this time or not, don't you think?

That's probably because literally nobody has been discussing their ideas for the December OLDC, which makes it seem like there's nothing to do. I'm just saying, if there would've been more discussion, map screenshots, whatever, perhaps more people would've been inspired to make a map in time for the OLDC themselves.

Then again, there's also a good possibility that people just didn't finish their maps in time, so I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back