• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Question about ringslinger...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hooray for all those people that abused character wads!
And hooray for whoevers idea it was to nerf the characters!

Hooray for all those people that abused character wads!
And hooray for whoevers idea it was to nerf the characters!

this.

Unfortunately, I think the reason that Ringslinger was taken out was because people abused it. That's the reason characters were nerfed. In my opinion, that was a stupid move. I mean, the fourm's release system was modified, so why nerf good characters? >_>

I mean, the fourm's release system was modified, so why nerf good characters? >_>

Because Cream and Eggrobo were in a sad, small minority. Sonic OVERDRIVE (or whatever his make was) had an op as hell ability, and it was what the Murderball was based off of. Other characters had similar op ringlinger projectiles.

More to the point, Sonic has never been about projectile weapons, instead relying on jumps and the spin attack to do damage. All of our enemies in single player are completely trivialized by projectile weapons. While it's entirely possible to design a mod around projectile weapons and enemies that aren't trivialized by them, at that point you might as well make an EXE modification to make it work better.

While projectiles sound cool in theory, they just don't actually play very well in SRB2's single player modes. The cheat code is of course there for those that want to mess around with it, but it is a cheat code for a reason.

Yeah but that cheat is boring cause they are always going to shoot rings. Not fun projectiles like icicles that spawn ice cubes, or a boomerang, or a missile that explodes on contact with anything, or even something like a short ranged fake melee attack.

I have the game.

And I agree with Senku on this. Even though there was a bunch of overpowered characters, as I said the release system is meant to PREVENT those idiotic manafestations from comming back, is it not?

While Sonic isn't meant for projectile weapons, explain match mode. Okay, that's not co-op or single player, but it would be pretty cool if slingitem was brought back for characters that work better in match mode.

In fact I'm putting that in the suggestions thread.

Well, I'm curious. So what if people make super overpowered characters. I'm sure true official DM servers won't allow such character wads anyways. I mean the only reason to take out that option is to harm anyone who wishes to make a mod which, as you stated Mystic, Could in fact be based around enemies that don't get dominated by ranged 'shooting' attacks.
I mean... why take it out? Why not just let it sit there, maybe make it a levelheader option or something. While yes you can always just make a custom Exe, I always like that 'look what I did with soccing alone' approach. Anyways there are my two cents, and yes someone can always just make a custom exe I suppose.

But then people have to rely on that custom .EXE to have it happen, which isn't the best thing usually. If someone else makes a mod everyone loves, then that feature is stripped from the player, and thus that player is bound to that .EXE. However, that isn't so bad in some cases, but still. :P

Well, I'm curious. So what if people make super overpowered characters. I'm sure true official DM servers won't allow such character wads anyways.
Surely you played netgames with 1.X. Surely you remember how hard it was to find a netgame with characters that were remotely fair and balanced. Anyone casually trying out SRB2's netplay would end up joining a server with 500 recolor WADs, all of which were terribly overpowered.

We don't have many official servers. We have lots of casual players setting up casual games. I want to make sure that newbies joining said casual games will at least be able to play something that resembles SRB2, instead of SMS every ability in the game with maxed values glowing really bright so he doesn't need shading robo blast 2.

You can have your ugly recolor characters, but let's keep them in sane values so people who aren't retarded can play as Sonic against you and actually have a chance, please.

I mean the only reason to take out that option is to harm anyone who wishes to make a mod which, as you stated Mystic, Could in fact be based around enemies that don't get dominated by ranged 'shooting' attacks.
You say that, but nobody did that back in 1.X when it was entirely possible to do so with pure SOCs. Honestly, our enemy soccing capabilities are too limited to make a real FPS design out of it anyways. In order to do such a thing properly, you'd need a custom EXE to make challenging enemies and enable the match weapon system in single player with some kind of damage values or something. The amount of changes you'd need to make to SRB2 to turn it into a real FPS essentially makes it impossible to do it properly with just SOCs. Hence, everyone just made overpowered recolors instead.

I mean... why take it out? Why not just let it sit there, maybe make it a levelheader option or something. While yes you can always just make a custom Exe, I always like that 'look what I did with soccing alone' approach. Anyways there are my two cents, and yes someone can always just make a custom exe I suppose.
The main advantage of gimping the official EXE for this kind of thing is that the vast majority of players, and pretty much every newbie, uses the official EXE. This means a player attempting to join a game on the master server with the official EXE will always find a game with characters that abide by these standards, and someone joining a Coop game will find people playing a Sonic platformer, not some weird alternate universe where everyone can shoot projectiles at enemies that are so outgunned you might as well be shooting fish in a barrel.

Mystic it also doesn't help that back in 1.09 people made "recolors" of ANYTHING and i mean even as simple as changing start/prefcolor and maxing the stats out of the character and calling it "new" as well as even giving say sonic.plr flying and calling it a wad. No real way to fix that. We fixed that for 2.0, so I'm kinda lost now. :x

Or just have a option where just 1 character has 1 ring that is normal and have it have its own sprites.

what i dont get is why the sprites are not customizable but ringslinger is gone altogether it wont work in single player neither is camera rotate unless i did something wrong. also i for one liked the custom ringslinger sprites but sonic overdrives multi-ring toss was unnecessary
remember this?
srb20003.png

also i agree with mystic there were to many overpowered recolors in the 1.0 days

Last edited:
And do you realize that's one of them?
yes but i dont get whats the big deal yes thier flashy but the only one i found overpowered was sonic overdrives and i just used sms as an example for his ringtoss which i thought what was being discussed :P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back