[Open Assets] Sonic Colors/Lost World Wisps Plus The jump abilities *V0.9 UPDATE*

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Sorry for not updating for so long, but I've been working on a graphical update for the wisps, HUD-wise. If anyone is willing to give me the horizontal, vertical and diagonal drill sprites that I need, I'd be willing to use them in the next update.

V0.5 is out. Check the changelog for details.

You may notice that the HUD isn't updated. I decided against an update for that, so the HUD is staying as is.

Last edited:
V0.5.1 Bugfix is out. Credits to MotdSpork for finding the bug relating to interacting with spikes. Check the changelog for details.

I LOVE this wad. The wisps work as they should and the boost is the best one I've used so far (because it doesn't break analog controls, heh)

I have a rip of the Sonic Colors boost HUD if you need it (for making the wisp timer or changing the sprite when a wisp is active)
G0EXsbb.png

Also, I have to say, the Roger voice is a nice touch. You don't see stuff like that very often.

I LOVE this wad. The wisps work as they should and the boost is the best one I've used so far (because it doesn't break analog controls, heh)
Why, thank you! I'm considering increasing the max speed of boost a bit, so stay on your feet. (Get it? Because the boost will be faster and harder to control?)

I have a rip of the Sonic Colors boost HUD if you need it (for making the wisp timer or changing the sprite when a wisp is active)
G0EXsbb.png
Thanks for your contribution, but I think the current hud works perfectly fine tbh. I might consider using this, though...

Also, I have to say, the Roger voice is a nice touch. You don't see stuff like that very often.
Oh, I just love to add the feel of colours where I can, and I'm considering making drill usable in the ground. I'll keep updating as regularly as I can.

also something you might want to fix, the asteroid debris can hurt other players in coop...kinda annoying when killed by it on last life :l

That's intended, not a bug. I might consider nerfing that if it gets on other players' nerves.

It's spawn in a map?

I'm taking your advice on that one. Not so long now until V7 gets published, since I'm about 80% done with the updates.

Speaking of updates, the next update will include:
-Respawning Wisp Boxes
-Wisps incorporated in the vanilla co-op maps
-Others that I'm not gonna give spoilers to, since they're so secret, even the guys at #srb2fun don't know what it is. But I can hint it by saying this: "It's the wisp you've all been waiting for..."

Golden rays of the glorious sunshine; setting down such a blood-red light

Alright, first thing's first, when I added your script in the middle of a netgame I got two errors on lines 37 and 73 of the HUD lump regarding arithmetic being performed on nil variables. Please initialize your variables properly. Moving on.

I don't like how you included your Colors abilities in as the default. Your post stated that you included wisps, not complete Colors gameplay. I highly suggest making a command to turn this off, especially since your double jump/homing thok implementation is imperfect and somewhat buggy.

So, I first tried out your rocket wisp and... eh, it works. The controls are extremely awkward in comparison. In Colors, you hold down the activation button to charge rocket and release to blast off. Why do I have to hold jump here? I was stuck for a good ten minutes trying to make this wisp work. Along with that, the animation (or lack of one) is kind of screwed up as well. Wisps don't work instantly at all in the original game, each one of them has a slight delay before activating. That's not good for a mod attempting to recreate the game. Another thing that really irks me is how the charge bar fills up the complete wrong way. Ideally, the bar should start filled, and drain from right to left as a clear indicator. You did it right with boost, why not here?

Next, I tried the drill wisp. This one was better than rocket, but it's kinda lame since you can only use it underwater. I'm not gonna blame you for that, there's nothing you can do about it really. I will say that it would have been cool to have drill specific sprites instead of super frames, but sprites are indeed a pain to draw.

I gave asteroid a shot after. Not much to say here. It was pretty damn lame. Essentially just Sonic or whoever you're playing as with two asteroids surrounding them, plus the Super Sonic float. I'm not a fan of Sonic Lost World and thought the wisps added there were pretty damn bad, so if I were you I wouldn't have included this at all.

I tried burst next. That was... interesting, to say the least. Kind of overpowered since you can't take damage and essentially get a moon jump, but better than asteroid by a long shot. I have no idea if it's accurate to the original game though, as I haven't played the DS version of Sonic Colors.

I decided to experiment around with the standard modern Sonic abilities you made as well, and was pretty disappointed. The boost only works when you hold down a direction, which is behavior completely different from the original game. Not to mention the boost is supposed to expire shortly after using it in mid air. You also made it so that collecting rings could add to your boost gauge, which is exactly the opposite of how boost works in Colors. The only ways to gain boost in Colors are through white wisp capsules or destroying badniks. In other words, not rings. Destroying badniks here doesn't give you anything. In regards to speed, it feels fine. Controllable, but not too fast. At the same time, the lack of speed also makes it nowhere near as fun, which kind of makes me wonder why it's here. You also have something in there that seems to increase the player's jumpfactor when boosting which is... not accurate to any Sonic game I've ever played. Was this done to overpower the player even more? They already have a double jump to begin with, not to mention running on water while using it! I dunno, I can't find this kind of boost enjoyable. It might be overpowered but using it just isn't nearly fluid enough to be fun.

Most of my post focused on accuracy to Sonic Colors, I'm aware. If you want to do your own thing with this mod rather than emulate the game (as it appears you wanted to do), then that's great! Mention the fact that you're deviating though, as many will expect this to work identically to the original game (see: inu's rocket script) whereas this is far from it. There are parts of this mod that are better than others and it isn't buggy for the most part, but this just... isn't fun. I really liked the wisp abilities in Colors but I couldn't enjoy a single one of them here, nor could I enjoy the modern Sonic abilities. The gifs made me want to stay away from this mod for a while, and now I see why. I dunno, maybe if you ironed out all the kinks, I could see myself coming back to this, but in its current state? Not at all. There was potential here, but it wasn't met, and that seriously disappointed me.

Last edited:
Like I said to other people in my server before, I've tried to replicate these as much as my lua knowledge can get me, so some aspects aren't perfect... Nonetheless, people seem to enjoy it. And about that... initialising variables thing... those lines ARE the initialisers, as they're declared as local variables, something I can't really fix without help.

Also,
ZigzagMadeupDogwoodclubgall.gif

It's coming.... soon!

And about that... initialising variables thing... those lines ARE the initialisers, as they're declared as local variables, something I can't really fix without help.
Yes, they're being initialized. No, you're not doing it properly. There are plenty of examples of how to do it the right way here on the message board. Take a look at those and give it another shot. Good examples are Shadow, Badz' LightDash script, and FSX's Vampirism Challenge.

There are plenty of examples of how to do it the right way here on the message board. Take a look at those and give it another shot.

I'll try, but you'll have to put up with this for now until V7 is out, ok?

Why do I have to hold jump here?

Well, how else would players control their flight path? I made it easier for them to not overshoot their target by controlling it to a degree . Also, I tried the original colours, you don't have to hold the wisp use button to charge up. I was trying to get that more accurate to its behavior in Sonic Generations.

Wisps don't work instantly at all in the original game, each one of them has a slight delay before activating. That's not good for a mod attempting to recreate the game.

Objection! DS Sonic Colours activated theirs immediately upon use, which is what I recreated here. Please, no offence, but think twice before posting.

Well, how else would players control their flight path? I made it easier for them to not overshoot their target by controlling it to a degree . Also, I tried the original colours, you don't have to hold the wisp use button to charge up. I was trying to get that more accurate to its behavior in Sonic Generations.

Objection! DS Sonic Colours activated theirs immediately upon use, which is what I recreated here. Please, no offence, but think twice before posting.

Using 'no offense' to take jabs at people is a really bad policy. Don't do that.

Sonic Colors DS was not 3D whereas Sonic Colors Wii is, so you should use the latter as a reference for the wisps (considering SRB2 is... also in 3D)

As a side note, you should stop taking people's advice as if it was meant to insult you. I've done that before, it's not smart. Trust me.

Using 'no offense' to take jabs at people is a really bad policy. Don't do that.

Sonic Colors DS was not 3D whereas Sonic Colors Wii is, so you should use the latter as a reference for the wisps (considering SRB2 is... also in 3D)

As a side note, you should stop taking people's advice as if it was meant to insult you. I've done that before, it's not smart. Trust me.

Lost World 3DS activated wisps instantly, though.

Also, I tried the original colours, you don't have to hold the wisp use button to charge up. I was trying to get that more accurate to its behavior in Sonic Generations.
Yeah, my mistake. Though, either way, the degree of movement you get is practically useless.

Wolfy said:
I have no idea if it's accurate to the original game though, as I haven't played the DS version of Sonic Colors.

Please, read my post before you complain.

In Generations, you had to hold the button to store up power, the longer you held, the faster and higher you'd shoot up. If you held for too long, the wisp would run out before blasting off. In Colors, it's all automated.

Gotcha. I'll try not to react to something like this that bad next time.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back