Thread: [Character] CD Sonic
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018   #7
Lach
nanananananananananananan a

Thank y'all very much for the feedback so far!
Spoiler: Responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumbo View Post
2. Sonic's front-facing running (not dashing) sprites look very odd, mostly because they aren't facing completely forward and seem a bit messy. Also, one of the frames seems to have an ugly dark outline, for some reason. The standing and running sprites are fine, though, but I think they look a bit unpolished. And about the Super Sonic sprites, I don't know if it was the best choice to use Sonic 3's sprites as a base. I mean, they do look good, but it would look a bit more fitting with Sonic 2-styled sprites instead of Sonic 3-styled ones.
All the sprites in this wad are imported either directly from sprite sheets or downsized versions of them. As I mentioned in the OP, it was originally a skeleton for making my first custom Lua abilities, and the only reason I pushed this up for a release at all is because of its popularity. I'd much rather save spriting effort for something that isn't a sprite rip Sonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumbo View Post
3. I've noticed a glitch with the 7th emerald's power. If you throw the emerald at the floor instead of at a ceiling or wall, you will teleport successfully, but you'll be stuck in one of the falling frames until you switch your ability, jump, or do pretty much anything that can get you out of the running/dashing frames
I actually did account for that, but there's a slight semantic error on my part that causes it not to work while the seventh emerald is selected. Whoops! Thank you for catching that for me! I'll include it in an update once there are other things to patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenhog View Post
The Emerald stuff is all clunky and not really fun to use, in my opinion. And I was never fond of being given both a spindash and the peel-out since it always seems that one ability makes the other redundant (in this case, the spindash or just plain mashing jump makes the peelout worthless). Had a blast beating the SP campaign with the spring though, having both a pseudo-thok and a double jump at the same time is great.
I agree—the emerald powers are difficult to use unless you have your controls set up nicely for them. Most of them are actually made out of leftover code from scrapped concepts worked on for other character WADs I'm helping to create. I tried to set them up so that they're fun and powerful if you can control them, but also entirely optional in case you deem them unwieldy. As for the peelout—it's most useful if you don't have springs as your emerald ability and need to get some speed in a tight situation, since the spindash restricts your movement ability until you jump and land on the ground again. Using the spindash in this case also requires you to commit to the action since you can't cancel it with a jump. The usefulness of the peelout is definitely mitigated if you prefer the horizontal spring, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenhog View Post
You should mention the inclusion of extra shield abilities in your post. I guess this is just player error but I jumped into the game straight away without checking the in-game character description since I figured it wouldn't mention anything that wasn't covered in the release post, then got confused about why jump + spin was making me bounce all of a sudden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lach
While jumping in mid-air, you can press either jump or spin to spawn a spring that will propel CD Sonic either forwards or upwards, respectively. (Note that if CD Sonic is wearing a shield, pressing spin will perform a shield maneuver instead.)
Lach is offline   Reply With Quote