View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012   #30
Fred
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime 2.0 View Post
Yeah, that's all there is. I'm bothered by that a bit too, to be honest...
Speaking of, how does the trigger work, anyway?

Quote:
That said, if nothing except the puzzle gargoyles could be moved, the player would have zero reason to believe that the puzzle gargoyles were moveable, contributing to another problem with the stage you mentioned earlier, which is that it's easy to not notice that the puzzle path split exists at all.
Nay, I said that it's HARD to not notice the lone gargoyle firing at the wall! The fact that it's all alone and seems to be aimed rather uselessly is enough to warrant investigation on the player's behalf, I think. Adding to that, being on a small enclosed trench immediately gave away that you're supposed to push it, and I don't think being able to push other gargoyles in the level had anything to do with that realization. Too late to make sure now, though!

Quote:
Even so, it seems I underestimated how easy it is to write off an unusual shield color as being the result of a colormap, even if you have a color(the purple walls, which are the same color as the shield) to compare it to.
What "unusual" shield color? Everything turns blue because of the colormap! I definitely could not tell the sprites had been changed, though I did notice the animation cycle was different, but didn't know what to attribute it to. There's no point in changing the appearance of the shield when you can't tell that that such appearance has changed, and it's much easier to come to the conclusion that "gargoyle fireballs hit through the elemental shield" than "this is a different kind of shield that also allows breathing underwater but doesn't protect against fire".

Quote:
In all seriousness though, there's no way for me to put fire underwater; the projectiles use a fire graphic, but they're not technically fire.
Then SRB2 2.1 would benefit from separating "sizzling in water" and "elemental damage". Can you even make electric/water damage objects?

Last edited by Fred; 07-05-2012 at 08:13 PM.