Soulpack

Status
Not open for further replies.
A cute emerald hunt, though I'm worried that it might be a little Sonic un-friendly. I found no simple way of getting up to the cliff at the start, and had to spindash jump from the cave area and hope not to overshoot.

Still though, it's fine for a "first-stage" difficulty level!

Uploaded it for you. MB is having some issues with uploading attachments directly, but doing it from a URL still works, so I just staged it on dropbox first.

I was kinda expecting this to be pretty "meh", but hey, this was actually a pretty alright (first?) level. I appreciate your choice of textures and aesthetics. I noticed that you mixed in a bunch of different sector specials such as fake floors, teleports and FOFs in your level. You also managed to avoid putting "water floors" in, which is a first timer trap that many new mappers fall into. There's multiple paths And is that a skybox I see? It's a pretty good one.

It's true that this is a flat level. However, I'm not overly bothered by it, especially considering this could very well be your very first level. I'm not really a fan of 2D in most cases, but I can easily forgive it for being as such because you at least tried to make it compelling to play. The only gripe is that in the first 2D section, while I do applaud you for trying to balance risk/reward, the turret might be a little bit overkill for the sake of a single ring box item. Either make it worth it to go after those difficult to reach things, or tone down the hazard so that going for the thing doesn't just result in a net loss of rings. That being said, the method for getting the special stage token was very clever, and I love that you understand why and how and why it's supposed to work. I'd suggest that you keep experimenting with linedef executors in the future, you seem to have the basics down and then some.

Amateur or not, this was very well crafted, and I'd like to see more from you!

If you're making levels for the sole purpose of an arbitrary rating on these boards, then I've got bad news for you bud...Standards for levels these days are a lot higher than they used to be back in 2006, and you arent going to get a 4 or 5 star unless you are doing something truly unique with your level. If I were you, I wouldnt worry about ratings from invisible people and would instead practice more with 'builder and have fun with it. Goodness knows this board could use more of it.

The match/tag level idea is a great idea, but the execution ain't great. Ring panels are few and far between.

Updated the match level layout a little and added a bit of some previews to my next levels so people could guide me in making a good second/third act.

And sorry I couldn't get the link to work again, Prime. I didn't want to bother you to do it again for me.
Upload it somewhere that provides a direct download link, like dropbox, and then use the upload from URL option in the attachments.

Hey, great skybox. Really gives the setting an awesome sense of depth.

The aesthetics in general are pretty nice, but the level layout leaves a lot to be desired. There's a lot of running and not a lot of doing. Easy fix to this is to just add more platforming and scatter a few obstacles here and there. Anyway, keep at it.

Personally, my suggestion is to make the type of level you'd want to play. That might be difficult at first because it requires you to understand what elements of level design really inspire you, but if you play some level packs and make a note of what's fun and what isn't, that's a good first step to making the kind of experience you're aiming for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back