We're Not Dead Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, so you mean actually putting characters in the Slade or XWE editor that are more than 255 pixels tall won't act funny and have cut off in game now? Well this just came in god damn handy at the perfect time.
No, the 255 pixel restriction is part of the Doom picture specification and can't be "fixed", short of adding support for a different picture format such as PNG.

So that's the question you should be asking instead.

No, the 255 pixel restriction is part of the Doom picture specification and can't be "fixed", short of adding support for a different picture format such as PNG.

So that's the question you should be asking instead.

... No, I fixed that too. It's called tall patches. http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Picture_format#Tall_patches I've implimented this for sprites, mid textures, wall textures, and even sky textures. You can make a single 1024x1024 patch to use as the entire sky if you want now.

Eeek! Looks awesome! Release it NAO!
I especially like the sound of the new slime physics. Could make for some very interesting new gameplay mechanics :o

While I do like the new gimmick they're giving to the slime (because, ya know, slime is gelatinous), I'm not extremely surprised of it as I've played some other maps with the same gimmick.

For those that still don't understand the concept, let me give you a picture:
Imagine a huge level, with no ground to land on, and half the map is covered with water with this gimmick. You start right at the surface. It doesn't look like it at the beginning, but you're eventually going to reach the roof of the level and hit the bottomless pit.

What this gimmick does is it takes the amount of height you did before you stopped height-wise, then launches you the opposing direction with the same height multiplied by a number between 1 and 2 (as in "x" being the multiplier: "1<x<2"). If you land on the ground however, you won't be launched.

If I'm wrong, by all means correct me.

Last edited:
While I do like the new gimmick they're giving to the slime (because, ya know, slime is gelatinous), I'm not extremely surprised of it as I've played some other maps with the same gimmick.
In SRB2? I'm not aware of any map that has tried to do this gimmick.

Awesome!! As always, those improvements are mind blowing!!

I can´t wait to see all the other features and gimmicks that haven´t been shown, last time ACZ and ERZ were totally awesome and this seems to put THZ and CEZ on par (although I personally have always enjoyed THZ, specially act 2).

So, I gotta ask, could you further explain that THZ slime to me? Like, is it its own FOF type/sector effect, is it still a water FOF, and what happens if you hit monitors and such in it? Oh, and does it work properly with reversed gravity?

...By the way, freakin' awesome skyboxes. Especially since you don't need OpenGL to have them.

Just wondering, in the first screenie is that a bot or another player? Another question is that will the netcode be a problem in later versions of the game?

EDIT: Also I just saw some of Blade's enemies from his project in Techno Hill Zone. Kinda excited! *giggles and claps*

Last edited:
Water with negative gravity applied to it is much different from what this new THZ slime appears to be.

It doesn't work anything like the vertical current water in Dumbventure. Water physics in SRB2 have an intentional quirk that cause you to gain significant momentum when you leave the water, most obviously visible when you hit a spring and leave the water, often going triple the height you normally would. In the context of Dumbventure's implementation, this means that if you just jump into a pool of water, you'll bounce higher and higher until you eventually hit the bottom of the water pool and can't get any more height. This is why most of Dumbventure's current water is shallow, because otherwise you could launch yourself to the ceiling (and you totally can with the waterfall in that area, I'll note).

This slime disables that entirely, and in fact causes you to LOSE momentum each time you cross the surface, eventually making you lose enough vertical momentum that you actually walk on the surface of the slime. A good way to visualize how it works is dropping a marble into a bowl. The marble will roll back and forth, losing speed due to friction, until it eventually stops in the center of the bowl.

Ah, so it will be gelatinous.
Now I can't wait what sort of puzzles and tricks you've added to THZ with this new gimmick.

By the way, I haven't played SRB2 in a long while so I can't remember exactly, but there's this vertical slime tunnel that leads to the 2nd special stage token in the current THZ2. Is it Dumbventure current water?

I can't wait! The Sky boxes look awesome! and the edges look a lot more rounded and in one picture it look's like Sonic will be getting new animation's.

Asking for actual sprite effort so we can get new player interactions and whatnot that aren't 10+ years old seems like a bit of a stretch. Don't count on it.

Inb4 simsmagic links my post

Last edited:
You say that like new player sprites are required to add new gameplay gimmicks, which I'd say the information presented this topic pretty clearly demonstrates is not the case.

Besides, shiny new shield graphics <3

Sonic not being able to simply hold things horizontally has really set back a lot of ideas or designs I could've had: like holding Knuckles while gliding, grabbing poles or crumbling structures against water currents (Hydrocity Zone style ohlookit'srightthere!), or spinning around while floating above fans (like most of the other games do it). The sprites may not limit anything but they can cause big workarounds to certain player interactables, or just make things turn out totally odd looking overall (The only sprite I can think of for when a player uses ANYTHING is that hanging sprite, which has long since been permanently burned into my retinas because of it's overuse).

If anything, I'd at least expect those over the course of 10+ years, hell anyone could just make them if it's an issue of sprite making really. I usually get the response that the current sprites are functional and can be used, but this is one of the things I've just been eager to see for ages that could ALSO be beneficial as more than a visual quirk. It's more than a mere waste-of-space sprite (hi balancing frames which will be finished never).

And the shields are okay really, they look like they'd probably look better in motion. Especially the force shield there.

-------------------------------------------------------

In any case, will 2.1 ever get new textures? It doesn't even matter if it's from the Asset Pack or original, but people without spriting knowledge have no means to make levels that look visually distinctive anymore; and IIRC that's quite a huge chunk of this place.

I'd say this in IRC but the lack of adequate moderation in there leads to constant shit-posting, trolling, and complete torture of anyone who has an opposing opinion before they can even get their point across coherently. I bet my post is quickly being linked and mocked right now!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back