Official Level Design Contest: March/April 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Welcome to the official level design contest topic. Please read the following if you're interested in entering the contest or are just curious as to what the rules and regulations are.

There are three divisions, match, capture the flag and single player. Here are the important parts of each type, for those who would like the specifics:

Match stages are arenas for players to fight. 32 deathmatch starts are necessary to randomize the spawning, but if the stage loads and runs okay, it’s an acceptable entry for the match contest. You should also have a Player 1 Start to keep the level from crashing if loaded improperly.

Capture the Flag stages are arenas for two teams to battle it out. They must include a red team and blue team base with a flag, and should include 32 deathmatch and 16 red and blue team starts. There should also be a Player 1 Start to keep the level from crashing if loaded improperly. It is generally better to make the map symmetrical to be absolutely sure that it is fair for both teams.

Single Player stages are designed to play in 1 player, and have to include a start and end, and obstacles in the way. Generally, it’s a good idea to give the map support for Cooperative and Race mode, but it’s not necessary.

The full rules of the contest are as follows:

1. All levels must work correctly in their selected mode. Support for other modes is suggested, but not required. Levels will be judged in Match, Capture the Flag or Single Player, depending on the contest you’re entering.
2. The map may not have been publicly released before. In other words, if you have released the level on the Addons section or on the forums or IRC channel, you may not enter it. However, if it’s unreleased, that is just as good as being completely new, and is a legal entry.
3. The map has to be your own work. If you base it on another map, that's fine, but a straight port or slight modifications are against the rules.

For the match and capture the flag contest, there is another rule in place:

4. Custom textures, music, SOCs, and other lumps other than a header and the map itself are not allowed in the Match and Capture the Flag contests. Match levels are going to be combined into a single WAD file, so in the interest in getting the entries out on time, you have to be creative with what you have.

Submissions are to be sent to my e-mail at mystic@srb2.org.

Submissions need to have "Contest Submission - March/April" as the subject line, and contain the name of the stage, your nickname, and the contest you are submitting the map to. For multiple maps in one e-mail, make sure to put the information for each map included. I prefer attachments, but links in the body of the e-mail are also alright. Note that maps that are considered unplayable will be rejected.

The contest submissions period ends on May 1st, 2006 at 12:00 AM GMT. (April 30th, 2006 at 7:00 PM EST). Any submissions that are late will be possible to get in if you get them to me before the judging starts, but if you’re late, you’re taking a risk that you might have to wait for the next contest, so please get your file in on time.

Judging will consist of voting on the message board. Any member can vote, giving a number for each map from 0 to 10, zero being the most abysmal piece of crap ever, and ten being total perfection. You cannot vote on your own map. To encourage voting, if an entrant votes on everyone else’s map in the contest they are entered in, the lowest score on all of their entries will be dropped. (Example: If someone enters a single player map and votes on all the other single player maps, their lowest score is dropped.)

Judging will start the instant the files are uploaded, and continue until a week after they were uploaded. The exact time when voting will end will be shown when the files are uploaded. At that point, all votes will be averaged and the map with the highest average in each category will be declared the winner.

The section on the Addons section for showing contest winners is under revision, but the winners will get special treatment on the website.

All entries are welcome, from beginners to advanced level designers. Even if you don’t win, this is an excellent way to get feedback on your stage to help improve. Collaborations are allowed, and testing is encouraged strongly.

Last contest was quite good, so hopefully we'll get some interesting entries this time as well. Maybe even without overuse of Homing!

^.^
Finally I get to submit to a contest! yay!

*sends the RAR file with his levels in it*

Thats 4 wads ^.^

1x Co-op/Race
2x CTF/match
1x Match

It's fine as long as it runs. However, you can always resubmit before the deadline. The last version I receive is the version that gets used.

Umm.... lol, I edited my post before you replied... or while you replied... meh. Whatever. The maps run perfectly fine reguardless of the number of starts. I have at least 8 starts per map anyway, and thats random enough for most people (except those who allow 32 people in a netgame :P)

Maybe I'll enter the contest this time....

Anyway, why are you rewriting the whole story about contest rules and stuff all over again?

In case you havent notaced, Noobs have invaded SRB2 forums and don't seem to want to leave ... :P

ZTaimat said:
In case you havent notaced, Noobs have invaded SRB2 forums and don't seem to want to leave ... :P

I have a sneaking suspicion you are talking about me.

This is the first contest I have competed in so far.

ZTaimat said:
In case you havent noticed, Noobs have invaded SRB2 forums and don't seem to leave ... :P

What do you think as a NOob?

[1] He doesn't even know know how to play netgames
[2] He doesn't know how to make wads
[3] He asks questions that were ansered a long time ago
[4] He's a bad player
[5] He has bad spelling

He who has everything of above is a NOob in my opion. So you won't see me saying Noob that quick.

Super mystic sonic said:
Super mystic sonic said:
Why CTF? I suck in these levels! Always those obstacels that stand in your way! :evil:

Super mystic sonic said:
Super mystic sonic said:
I'm not too familar with map making. They always look weird and have tons of bugs. I only have 2 levels without major bugs. I never seem to get the nodebuilder to work correctly. So don't go ask me to make a level,cause it won't look normally and will have some major bugs.

Super mystic sonic said:
Super mystic sonic said:
Why do you think it is called sonic.PRL? because it is another filetype than a wad.

Super mystic sonic said:
[4] He's a bad player
Super mystic sonic said:
Damn Silver cascade.....

It takes too many time to get back and if you are there you probably get hit because of the defenses. Also there was someone playing a trick on me when got in my base with the flag! They were on my team, but when i got there they changed red and shot me! Damn defences........

Super mystic sonic said:
[5] He has bad spelling
Super mystic sonic said:
Lately I played a netgame with 3 players in Sa-city, it was really laggy, but then Prime 2.0 came to the server and all the lagg was gone. Then he got kicked because of a consisety faillure. How did that lagg just dissapeared in second?

Neo just won.
Anyways, I will be entering this contest (:O) with a wad, that I believe, beats all others.
Want a preview pic?

xd5nn.png

Seriously, it rocks! *shot*

Neo Chaotikal said:
Super mystic sonic said:
Super mystic sonic said:
Why CTF? I suck in these levels! Always those obstacels that stand in your way! :evil:

Lots of people saw me in netgames. What does netgames has to do with that post anyway?

Super mystic sonic said:
Super mystic sonic said:
I'm not too familar with map making. They always look weird and have tons of bugs. I only have 2 levels without major bugs. I never seem to get the nodebuilder to work correctly. So don't go ask me to make a level,cause it won't look normally and will have some major bugs.

I said I had 2 levels without big bugs. Plus I have 2 characters, SMS and Super Shadow. As well as 4 ongoing projects.

Super mystic sonic said:
Super mystic sonic said:
Why do you think it is called sonic.PRL? because it is another filetype than a wad.

Okay, i'll admit that was stupid.

Super mystic sonic said:
[4] He's a bad player
Super mystic sonic said:
Damn Silver cascade.....

It takes too many time to get back and if you are there you probably get hit because of the defenses. Also there was someone playing a trick on me when got in my base with the flag! They were on my team, but when i got there they changed red and shot me! Damn defences........

He played a trick on me! Thats not my fault!

Super mystic sonic said:
[5] He has bad spelling
Super mystic sonic said:
Lately I played a netgame with 3 players in Sa-city, it was really laggy, but then Prime 2.0 came to the server and all the lagg was gone. Then he got kicked because of a consisety faillure. How did that lagg just dissapeared in second?
The spelling isn't that bad.

Anyway, lot of quoting. I quess you got me on 1 point though.

I don't know which contest I'll enter but I doubt I'll enter the single player contest. I've been very busy lately so my wadding skills have been resting a lot lately. >.>

The correct definition of a noob would be:

n00b, (N-oOo-B) Noun,
1. A person which uses an online game or forum account to spam and flame constantly about how much better said person things he/she is, reguardless of their actual status.

2. A person who submits tidbits of work that are truely horible expecting a positive responce or said person will spam the topic into a lock.

3. Chaoman

(Made the above dictionary entry up :P)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back