Dirk The Husky

I can't use the Ice Surf through the air when Super
Can you fix it?

Ice surf has always been usable when super. We did recently fix an issue where Dirk would sometimes fall off though. Make sure you have the latest version!

Great Sprites!

Dirk has so many "COOL" sprites and animations that it just makes me want to chuckle!

tougher_than_leather_by_motorroach-d8ikbdr.gif

Wad Rate: 8/10

While not truely a bug, this has raised a question in my head, to the point of madness.

How is it that Dirk's Ice platforms are not affected by Monitors Plus, while any other wad that happens to use the ICET sprite set will affect them? Like, this behavior seems to be exclusive to Monitors Plus in regards to Dirk, and it just... doesn't make a lick of sense. I've looked through the code, and I can't find anything that would result in this special behavior.

Please, someone explain this.

While not truely a bug, this has raised a question in my head, to the point of madness.

How is it that Dirk's Ice platforms are not affected by Monitors Plus, while any other wad that happens to use the ICET sprite set will affect them? Like, this behavior seems to be exclusive to Monitors Plus in regards to Dirk, and it just... doesn't make a lick of sense. I've looked through the code, and I can't find anything that would result in this special behavior.

Please, someone explain this.

I can't seem to get MonitorsPlus to affect Dirk either, and I too am definitely confused. However, I have seen it affect him before, strangely. The sprite issue has already been resolved for the next patch (if there ever is one) in any case.

10.5/10
One of the best character wad I've ever seen. Loved that it doesn't just walk on water but walks on ice trail made when running on water.
Would love to see super form... Infinite ice platforms.. ice surfing.. perma ice?... automatic frozen ring...

Last edited:
10.5/10
One of the best character wad I've ever seen. Loved that it doesn't just walk on water but walks on ice trail made when running on water.
Would love to see super form... Infinite ice platforms.. ice surfing.. perma ice?... automatic frozen ring...

Just open it with any WAD editor and add this to his S_SKIN lump:

Code:
flags = SF_SUPER

Happy Halloween everyone! Dirk got an update that fixes more bugs and adds in a new command, as well as being 100% compatible for Top Down!

1.1.0 Changes

• Ice surfing over moving FOFs is more reliable (it still freaks out in some cases, but most floors can be stably surfed over)
• Walking and running on rising water is much less spazzy
• Spawning ice platforms while at high speeds is much safer
• The tail of Dirk's ice trail becomes intangible while fading away, making it much less of an obstruction
• Dirk no longer regenerates ice surf while standing on an ice platform
• Ice surfing from an ice platform no longer resets Dirk's ice platform count
• Added lots of checks to the ice ring script to reduce the number of warnings that can appear
• Modified the way the ice shards are positioned when players are frozen; they should not disconnect from moving players anymore
• Fixed a small issue regarding aerial ice surf rising upwards slightly when not holding jump
• Dirk now has full compatibility with SRB2 Top Down, as well as a victory sound effect!
• Dirk has a new dusk blue coloration! If you want to play as Dirk in the regular black, you can use the "specialcolor" command to turn it off or back on again

Oh boy, a patch fix that fixes more bugs.

1.1.1 Changes

• Fixed an issue where Dirk was invulnerable to certain projectiles (e.g. eggman's laser in GFZ3)
• Players using ice surf in analog mode now face the direction of their momentum

Oh boy, a patch fix that fixes more bugs.

1.1.1 Changes

• Fixed an issue where Dirk was invulnerable to certain projectiles (e.g. eggman's laser in GFZ3)
• Players using ice surf in analog mode now face the direction of their momentum
Yay!
I have an idea: Make Dirk slide faster when on ice (also, Super sprites when? :P)

I may be thinking about making my own character mod. This one has inspired me quite a lot so thank you DirkTH. I might make my avatar first. I don't know. Please support me. I'm no the best spriter. I can edit base sprites or sonic sprites to kind of how I want him but it isn't the best. When I first upload my sprite I would like you to be honest with me. Also add your own adaptations to the sprite. Thank you.

If i could describe this WAD in a single word
It would be Amazing.
This is such an creative and fresh character to play as, the sprites, the character itself and the visuals are so great to look at, the abilities are so fun to use and play around with
I loved the Ice abilities, they're pretty unique to SRB2 in my opinion as i've didn't see any kind of Ice Based characters anytime around SRB2.

Anyways
This is an amazing character
I'm happy this got released at MB
Keep up your work great work.

I've never thought I'd like a custom character so much after I happened to find Dirk on a server. He's so consistent and charismatic design-wise and his abilities make him so versatile it baffles me that SRB2 has been missing him for so long.

Since I've had my share of experience with him in some Multiplayer game modes, I guess it wouldn't hurt to contribute, starting with the fact that Dirk is a complete - too complete - character and thus... pretty much "broken" in Competition and Circuit.

Bodies of water are an almost universal challenge in SRB2 for vanilla characters as much as for most of the custom characters but Dirk is able to almost completely brush them off by simply running over them when convenient, maybe second only to Tails, who can fly over them (and out of them when not completely submerged), but will eventually fall into them if the length excedes their flight span.

Vertical variation, which can be overcome by Tails and Knuckles but only with extreme time penalties, are almost nothing for Dirk with virtually no loss in momentum or pace, and while he might not be a match to Sonic in horizontal variation (which I don't believe) Sonic loses to him in almost every other aspect. Picking Dirk with enough practice in every Coop and Circuit map will almost certainly give him the victory.

Of course, that doesn't mean the problem is in Dirk himself. Most Circuit maps and the vanilla Coop rotation are made thinking of the vanilla characters and thus most of them aren't a challenge to Dirk and his solid set of abilities and their possible combinations - which is why I think Dirk deserves levels made for him, thinking of how he can use his full potential. At the moment I can't conceive a way to bring the vanilla characters to Dirk's level in terms of skill sets, and the most I can do is congratulate you for such a creative character.

Oh, yeah, there are still a few problems with him - those being the ice trail. It's too long, takes too much time to disappear, and it's solid, meaning it's a real obstacle if any other player is close to Dirk - players can be knocked off track by it, bump into it, be slowed down by it, walk on it if running behind Dirk and eventually die from falling into a pit when it finally disappears, which is really annoying if we take into account how unbalanced he already is, and the fact that he can keep walking on water even if he loses speed or stops completely by bumping into a wall, although I think this was not intended. In fact, reducing any of those variables (trail length, trail duration, solidness) would already do him great service.

And finally, a suggestion - his ice ring really feels out of place in comparison to every other character's normal shooting. It doesn't look like he can kill or even hurt other players with it, so it's a huge handicap that can't be coped with by his mobility.

To not scrap the idea entirely, we could have Dirk shoot with normal red rings, but if he ever feels like he needs to just freeze someone, have him charge his rings with ice (by a button of choice) using a chunk of the same bar he uses for ice-skating, freezing his opponents and hurting them when the ice breaks, Ice Cap style. In the same way, Dirk could press a button and freeze himself into a block of ice, making himself invulnerable to damage for a short time, but unable to move, and could do the same to his allies. The blocks could slide and be pushable, so he could throw or be thrown in a pit... There a lot of things to explore.

But then again, I've talked for too long. Just wanted you to know how much I appreciate and grew fond of this character, and of course, want to see him being given the love he deserves. Keep doing a great job.

All we need now is to add Dirk to players.dta so we can save with him. We could even rework the game, give Dirk extra routes and add emblems!

This WAD is so awesome that I came up with a meaning for the end sign.

That face tells you not to nerf Dirk.

Or you could simply make a custom MainCFG SOC and add your own save file with emblems and other things.

Dirk is fun to play, Jeck Jims made an Md2 of him and it's cool but I use the Highpolys mostly and it cause him to glitch. I think he needs a model for Highpolys.

this character mod is that good, i cant stop using it now, its like dirk is now my new main character on srb2 (and somehow fits my personality)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back