HUD Time value is frozen in netgames during player death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sizzle

xT4uQsXbz7nnZx2QLK.gif

The value snaps back to normal once you come back to life. Notice how the timelimit is still decreasing in the background. Shouldn't the HUD value ALWAYS reflect the timelimit in multiplayer?

This also occurs in 2P mode, which doubles the confusion - you can have two players with two unique time values displayed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I... think this also occurs in single player as well, and is intentional to reflect the timers behavior in the original Sonic games. I'd check but this computer doesn't have SRB2 on it to try it with. It's a fair point to suggest multiplayer games disable this feature just for the sake of seeing how much time is left in the match, but I doubt this is a bug.

Last edited:
AEQJgOc.gif
I can confirm that this happens. Although I'm not sure whether it's intentional or not. It seems to be replicating the behavior of the timer of the original games as Jasper said, or it could simply be a (small) bug.

U2QDFKq.gif
Welp, that solves that. Totally not a bug, but something intentionally put in that also takes effect in multiplayer games. It's not that big of a deal in the first place since you're only dead for roughly three seconds (unless someone edits the timer).

I sort of can't believe I had to self-confirm that... I've been playing SRB2 for like at least four years now...?

It's not that big of a deal in the first place since you're only dead for roughly three seconds (unless someone edits the timer).

There are plenty of fringe cases. Take switching to a spectator, for example:

3o7qDSD9tEomwZYhKE.gif

Way longer than three seconds. Here's death by pit in 2P mode:

l0K3Z09FtPozfjT6U.gif

I'm sure there are plenty of others both within Match/CTF and the other game modes. I totally agree with freezing the timer on death in singleplayer, don't get me wrong - that's logical and serves a practical purpose. Freezing it in multiplayer games seems to be a holdover of that same logic and serves to confuse players who assume that value is equal to the timelimit.

Last edited:
Think about the people who want to know what time they died. It makes sense then

But no one really cares what time they died(?) Unless its SP.

This is indeed intentional behavior, and not a bug. As to whether or not it SHOULD be the behavior is another argument, but it's very much on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back