Question about wad releasing and permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I had an idea today: merge lots of good/above average/popular maps of a variety of gametypes onto only one wad, so when we host a netgame we don't need to add craploads of wads, just only one wad with craploads of maps, so the host would have lots of options of maps without having to use addfile loads of times. <Messed up paragraph, isn't it? :)

So, the problem is: Can I just put "credit goes to the original creators of the respective maps" or do I have to ask permission to EVERY SINGLE creator of every single map for using the maps?
Well, it doesn't matter the answer, but I may relese this... sometime, depending on the circustances.

Another question: Could it cause lag? .-. Idk

A massive file with loads of awesome maps would either be too big, or be too hard to download from servers.

Yes, you would have to ask permission to every single author, and no, it wouldn't cause much lag while playing, but the file would be excessively huge and nobody would allow it to be downloadable from a server.

Yeah. Plus. What if a good portion of the maps are full of crap? These type of packs never work out.

Lots of servers, (aamof, most) have their wad downloading disabled.
So I wouldn't really care if it was too big.
You'd have to get it from the internet anyway.
Cue said:
Please don't.

Really.
sure...

If the map is popular and it doesn't require any SOCs, it will likely be borgified into 1.1 as part of a 'community' section.

SSNTails said:
If the map is popular and it doesn't require any SOCs, it will likely be borgified into 1.1 as part of a 'community' section.

A 1.1 Community Section?!! That's a bit of interest to me.

Besides, I think there are plenty of popular levels that don't require SOCs.

SSNTails said:
As long as you don't add Emerald Park Zone. That one's overrated and causes a lot of lag. And it's flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back