Call for Testing: SRB2SDL2 Round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the new update, the game runs at 35 FPS when nothing complicated is happening on-screen, but it can slow down to about 20 FPS in the more complicated sections of ERZ2 (all of which run at full speed on srb2win). The game also consistently slows down to 20 FPS whenever I open a menu or the console. Mouse move doesn't seem to work at all anymore.

Specs: Windows 7 64-bit, Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.5GHz, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 560Ti

Software: Seems to run at 32-35 FPS in clear areas in GFZ1, but drops to around 29-32 FPS around water. I still have issues with the camera being very shaky in comparison to OpenGL. -softblit doesn't seem to make a difference.

OpenGL: Doesn't launch at all. Crash log: http://pastebin.com/SvxLC6Bw

Yes. I like this new build. Perfect crisp 35 FPS through all of ERZ2, mmmhmm. Here's one vote to push the SDL version as the official client for the next release (or at the very least a tandem version, assuming you guys can wrangle the mismatched network packet stuff).

Oh, and -softblit causes the game to slow to a crawl so I guess my computer's really old huh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vanilla - 35/35 throughout THZ2, 1280x720. SDL2 - 35/35 throughout THZ2, for the most part. There were lots of lag spikes, though. Most of them only being 1-5 FPS drops, but a few of them dropped to 20 FPS and one even dropped it to 10 FPS. Staying in these areas fixed itself over a little time, though. 1280x720 as well. Just tried -softblit, it's choppy but claims to be 35/35 anyways. Same resolution, same level. Specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium CPU B940 2.00 GHZ
GPU: Integrated
RAM: 4 GB

Last edited:
Same joystick problem I listen in the previous thread, where the "Z Axis" is considered the right thumbstick's X axis instead of the triggers, and for some reason hitting alt-tab quickly doesn't free my mouse...

Other than that, works like a charm like always.

The mouselook got ridiculously sensitive after you removed warpmouse. It was working fine before.

Vanilla:
PerfectDelightfulBanteng.gif

SDL:
WideTeemingKusimanse.gif

I took a bunch of FPS benchmark screenshots throughout ERZ2's left path and compiled the results into an image, if that helps with any performance indicators. If you want the screenshots in question or a recheck of any section, lemme know. Green is normal build, red is SDL2. All taken in 1280x800w, facing the general direction of progress in the stage.

4unKhYV.png

As for other things:

• Mouse support is ridiculously sensitive, as others have said. Adjusting sensitivity in-game is always an option if this becomes default, though, so it's not a huge priority.
  • The game doesn't lose focus well. If the mouse goes over the window, it snaps to the center of the window.
  • Some of the sound effects sound tinnier on SDL2 than on vanilla. Notable ones include the death sound and whichever of the bounce sounds I used in Clock Towers.
CPU: AMD Phenom N850 Triple-Core 2.20GHz
GPU: ATI Mobility 4200 Series (integrated gfx) (320MB dedicated graphics memory, 1661MB shared with system)
4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (running on High Performance power settings, if that means anything to you guys)

Last edited:
Recently compiled a build of Fury's uncapped SDL2 branch, now that Alam's sorted out all the issues. For those of you who weren't in IRC, it does wonderful, wonderful things. Like uncapping SRB2's FPS and super smooth interpolation!

A bit buggy, but amazing. You can grab my precompiled build here. WARNING: Software is broken with this and will probably crash. Use OpenGL, thank you~
Source: https://github.com/Furyhunter/SRB2/tree/uncapped

the sdl2 build works really well on my computer, both in ogl and software. -softblit makes it really slow though maybe even slower than it does for me on srb2win.

Windows 8.1 64-bit
Intel Core i5 3330 @ 3.00GHz
6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 625

For whatever reason, the SDL2 build compiled by Wolfy from your work in the uncapped FPS thread works a lot better than the latest update of this does, even when the cap is set to on.

Somehow...

I can't seem to run the uncapped build,

when I run it in the vanilla srb2 launcher it tells me "Run-time error '5': Invalid call or argument."

When I run it in StartSRB2, it says "The specified executable is not a valid application for this OS platform."

And when I try to run it by itself, it says "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an X86 (32-bit) or an X64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

My system specs are in the spoiler below:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2.5 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 6.00 GB

Please do not make bug reports about the uncapped build. That is experimental. This thread is for the sdl2 builds only.

So...

Software:
I basically always have 35/35 FPS, but some drops occurs on THZ2 and big maps, this also happens on vanilla for me, IDK why. So, no problems in there.

OGL:
No more large FPS drops in THZ2, ERZ2 etc. with MD2s, yes, I had this problem X), but some mini-freezes occurs sometimes, those are not annoying but you should manage to fix them.

SoftBlit:
The FPS meter is showing the same number than in software and OGL but... the game is fucking unplayable, it looks like I was playing with less than 5 FPS!

-Can't test netgaming, the router we have at my hotel only allows connection for Internet :|
-Can't test joystick, my controller is... hum... broken *cough*

Shameless bump. Initial build URL updated for SRB2 2.1.9, also includes experimental uncapped framerate code for you lucky schmucks. Have fun.

mvGKis7.png

MD2 are horribly broken.

Also, precipitation doesn't work with the framerate cap off.

Last edited:
CPU: Intel Pentium CPU 2117U 1.8 GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics (that's all I found :3)
RAM: 4 GB

The game works perfectly, with exception of netgaming. I can't seem to be able to join any server at all, as the game freezes just as it starts downloading stuff from the server. It doesnt happen when using Srb2win. Also, it is shown that each server has ridiculously high ping (several milions, or something like that).

Specs:

CPU: Intel core I7 4770K
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX780

In software mode works now with 35 fps (before works with 25 fps).
In openGL mode Texture filter works now with nearest_mipmap and i have the same problem with MD2.

Is this ready for a working port for Android since OpenGL works now?

I would like ANY version of SRB2 on Android,even the really old final demo.
I'm sick of the memory constraints of the PSP version on PPSSPP for Android since it can't have music and crashes when loading larger levels.

I'd be really interested in trying this out, but it unfortunately silently exits with nothing printed to log, other than the following in srb2log.txt:
Compiled for SDL version: 2.0.3
Linked with SDL version: 2.0.3
Setting up SRB2...
M_StartupLocale...
Looking for WADs in: SRB2WADDIR,.
Z_Init(): Init zone memory allocation daemon.
System memory: 4095MB - Free: 4095MB
I_StartupTimer()...
W_InitMultipleFiles(): Adding IWAD and main PWADs.
Added file C:\Games\Sonic Robo Blast 2\srb2.srb (6190 lumps)
Loading main config from C:\Games\Sonic Robo Blast 2\srb2.srb
Added file C:\Games\Sonic Robo Blast 2\zones.dta (960 lumps)
Loading main config from C:\Games\Sonic Robo Blast 2\zones.dta
Added file C:\Games\Sonic Robo Blast 2\player.dta (526 lumps)
Added file C:\Games\Sonic Robo Blast 2\rings.dta (444 lumps)
Added file C:\Games\Sonic Robo Blast 2\patch.dta (232 lumps)
Loading main config from C:\Games\Sonic Robo Blast 2\patch.dta
Added file C:\Games\Sonic Robo Blast 2\music.dta (171 lumps)
Examing it in IDA, it seems it hits a software breakpoint exception shortly after loading ws2_32.dll. Any thoughts? I can send along anything that might be useful - dxdiags, whatever.

Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind, see http://mb.srb2.org/showpost.php?p=759193&postcount=41. This is amazing!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back