Suggestions

So, linedef action 7 allows you to either align/offset flats by the linedef's X and Y distance or rotate flats by the linedef's angle. These can be combined, but that requires at least two linedefs with the action.
And even then it's a little hard to, with Zone Builder as an example, go to visual mode, check the alignment offset, go to classic mode or such, move the vertice, go back to visual mode, check, go back to classic, move, and switch back and forth rapidly to see how the flat alignment looks.

Personally, I think it would be much easier and faster with a change to the linedef action such that when a specific linedef flag is checked, the front texture offsets are used instead of the linedef's X and Y distance to align the flats. This would additionally allow a single linedef to be used for both alignment and rotation, and also let you just select the linedef in visual mode in Zone Builder and use the arrow keys to get live previews of the changes.

One thing that bugs me is the transitions between Greenflower Act 1 and Greenflower Act 2, as well as Egg Rock Act 1 and Egg Rock Act 2.
For Greenflower, you're essentially going from the end of a grassy field to the start of a grassy canyon.
For Egg Rock, you go from a hallway to an upside-down elevator.

The transitions between Act 1 and Act 2 of other zones make a bit more sense:
  • Techno Hill Zone: Ends off in a factory, starts in said factory.
  • Deep Sea Zone: Ends off in a small tunnel, starts in basically what could be the end of said tunnel.
  • Castle Eggman Zone: Ends off by entering the castle, starts in the castle.

What I would recommend doing to make the transitions seem a bit more smooth:
  • Greenflower Zone: Make the walls at the end taller.
  • Techno Hill Zone: While I am already satisfied with the transiton between Act 1 and Act 2, it could be improved a bit. Perhaps add buildings in the background near the end?
  • Egg Rock Zone: Have Act 1 end in or just outside an elevator.

Last edited:
If I can recall correctly, DSZ1's exit sector would fall through and land in a pool upon entering it. Similarly, lava would push up RVZ1's exit sector to give the impression of leaving the volcano. ACZ1 would end with the player falling into the mine. I dunno if these were removed to make more sense in multiplayer, but it sure seems like a valid reason.

I wasn't trying to imply that we should go back to 2.0-esque transitions, just that Greenflower Act 1 and Techno Hill Act 1 should get tweaks to scenery near the end of the level.

Egg Rock Act 1 would be a tad bit more complicated as my proposed change would add to or tweak the very end of the level. But I'm not trying to suggest anything major there either, just have an area that looks like an elevator as the end of the level. Doesn't even have to move.

One thing that bugs me is the transitions between Greenflower Act 1 and Greenflower Act 2, as well as Egg Rock Act 1 and Egg Rock Act 2.
For Greenflower, you're essentially going from the end of a grassy field to the start of a grassy canyon.
For Egg Rock, you go from a hallway to an upside-down elevator.

The transitions between Act 1 and Act 2 of other zones make a bit more sense:
  • Techno Hill Zone: Ends off in a factory, starts in said factory.
  • Deep Sea Zone: Ends off in a small tunnel, starts in basically what could be the end of said tunnel.
  • Castle Eggman Zone: Ends off by entering the castle, starts in the castle.

What I would recommend doing to make the transitions seem a bit more smooth:
  • Greenflower Zone: Make the walls at the end taller.
  • Techno Hill Zone: While I am already satisfied with the transiton between Act 1 and Act 2, it could be improved a bit. Perhaps add buildings in the background near the end?
  • Egg Rock Zone: Have Act 1 end in or just outside an elevator.

I think your ideas for transitioning between maps looks like good ideas. I agree that the transition between Greenflower Zone Acts 1 and 2 and Egg Rock Zone Acts 1 and 2 should make more sense. I appreciate your transition ideas.

Transitions aren't a priority for our game, although we do have some. As our levels change over time, those transitions would need to be replaced over and over again. While we do like the concept for levels that have a significant design change between acts (THZ, CEZ), it's completely ignored for stages that don't have such differences between acts.

A simple way to think about it is that the next level is not necessarily starting immediately at the exit of the previous level.

I dunno if these were removed to make more sense in multiplayer, but it sure seems like a valid reason.
This was one of my big pet peeves about 2.0 and I'm the one who removed those. It wasn't just multiplayer as much as to help keep our game internally consistent. When you see an end-level sign, that's the end of the stage. There's no vague question about the game's rules and where the level will end anymore.

I understand it might be a pain to change the transitions every time a new zone or level is added, but if I may make a suggestion, I think you should do it like in ERZ act 1. You don't have to show bits of the next level but I'd like it if it weren't just closed off with no way of escape.

In most every level in the game if you can see it, you can usually get there yourself. When levels like GFZ 1 and 2 are closed off at the end and you enter the next level, the player thinks, "Oh, I'm in the next level now, but how did I get there? Did I run there or did I just teleport or something?" You don't have to specify exactly how they got there but just making a turn or a straight path with a cutoff that is just out of view to imply to the player that "yes, these destinations ARE connected and you're not just teleporting to the next level, these people could walk there." The boss arena for GFZ is one example because it's entirely closed off with no way out. The end of GFZ 2 is closed off so how did you get there outside of teleporting, and once you pop the Egg Capsule you end the level and are transported to the next level. The boss of THZ however is led up to by a vague dark passageway at the end of act 2 and you're suddenly on a train. Sonic and Tails could have fallen down, ran for a bit and got tired and caught a train to the next zone, or just happened upon a broken down trolley, but that's left up to the player's mind to decide.

Sonic 1 and 2 didn't have level transitions and cutscenes like Sonic 3 and I don't think people expect to have transitions like that game did, but at the end of every stage in Sonic 1 and 2, Sonic just walked off to the right of the stage off screen with the implication that he ran to the next zone, nobody explains how he got there but the level isn't closed off by a wall so he must've gotten there somehow, and that's for the player to decide.

I understand it might be a pain to change the transitions every time a new zone or level is added, but if I may make a suggestion, I think you should do it like in ERZ act 1. You don't have to show bits of the next level but I'd like it if it weren't just closed off with no way of escape.
ERZ1 also has a solid wall blocking you off. Spindash and it's easy to see it. That exit is a quirk of how we were planning on making an expansion there but decided against it.

This is running up against a hard engine limitation here. With technological areas we could use Doom's solution and have the level exit be a door texture, but that kind of logic doesn't make sense in natural areas. It's more important for us to have clear gameplay than worry about little things like video game fridge logic. For example, it's really important for boss arenas to be enclosed. If it looks like the character can pass down that way, then how would the player be blocked from going that way on their own? Invisible walls are terrible, so enclosed arenas that don't quite make sense are the simple solution.

You'll notice that a lot of early 3D games actually DID put in some kind of logical reason for the teleport for exactly this issue. There's a reason for the paintings in Super Mario 64, for example.

I'm probably making this very complicated but perhaps adding sort of a river just past where the end sign just far enough away that they stop before hitting it normally, with a small gap that normally you'd be able to spin through in that area where it's normally closed off? I feel it makes sense because the boss arena has waterfalls that you can't go back through, and I have a feeling you won't be majorly changing the boss arena or GFZ2 any time soon. Again, I could just be overthinking things.

Alright: I might have posted these in the past, and I know I have for the latter, but I'm pretty sure I didn't describe it in decent detail before, so...

Modify player height without changing scale.
I have seen a decent amount of character wads lately that have characters the size of a spinball, and yet are not capable of passing through those areas regardless. Allowing for certain skins to have smaller heights than others would allow for skins such as kirby, gargoyle, crawlas, and many others to simply walk under the spaces without getting crushed when SRB2 constantly resets the player height.
Allow certain transparent objects to overwrite other transparent objects
This might seem to be a complicated suggestion, but hear me out. this would allow for spin trails to be of a constant opacity instead of building up to points where it occasionally makes the player invisible, like that Gif of tails rolling down a slope in the new DSZ. It would also allow for cape chase objects such as hats or shoe color switches to be rendered correctly when a player has afterimages due to speedshoes. Something like this could probably be pulled off using z-buffering, considering the rendering order, but I'm not sure as to the specifics. I have provided a proof of concept for this in the spoiler below.
5P274l5.png

Suggestions : Servers refusing connections should not force the game to load wad,lua or SOC files before checking whether server allows joining or not, This makes players restart the whole game just to join another server .

I agree, it's pretty stupid to add files if server has disabled joining.

Last edited:
Alright, here is a suggestion I went over on the IRC today.

Support for Lua to create variables/tables to be used and modified by other scripts
This might sound odd, but this would allow for cross mod compatibility. To use my own wad, second color, as an example, other people would be able to include a snippet of code in their own character wads that would allow it to function without the primary second color, while still being compatible with both it and any other character wads that would do the same thing. Another example would be adding tables containing enemies in levels so that if something like Kirby is added, it can use those abilities.

edit: got another suggestion so

Support for continuing a wad download from where you left off.
...by looking for a file that matches the name of the file, with .partial at the end of the entension, which contains the MD5 and file size in the header of the file before the actual data.
Essentially: add support for the partial extension, or something similar so there is less download attempts from servers eating up bandwidth.

Last edited:
Alright, here is a suggestion I went over on the IRC today.

Support for Lua to create variables/tables to be used and modified by other scripts
This might sound odd, but this would allow for cross mod compatibility. To use my own wad, second color, as an example, other people would be able to include a snippet of code in their own character wads that would allow it to function without the primary second color, while still being compatible with both it and any other character wads that would do the same thing. Another example would be adding tables containing enemies in levels so that if something like Kirby is added, it can use those abilities.

This is already possible. Just store your data in a place that all scripts have access to, like a mobjinfo table.

Add a secondary playtime timer that keeps track of your total playtime regardless of the games modified state. I easily have spent over 1000 if not even over 2000 or more hours of playtime if I take all played versions of SRB2 with all modifications into account. But the problem is that each mod with save function has its own timer and that the timer stops counting as soon as the game is registered as modified which can easily happen if you play online a bunch or mess around with certain commands in the console. On this way its really hard to tell how much time you really have spent into the game.

Get rid of this asshole. I've been trying to record a decent run of ERZ for the last three days and I still can't get past this without getting shot. It's not even funny. (yes I re-did this level so many times it made me complain on the forum)
hslw85.jpg

And shorten Metal Sonic's pinch phase, it's plain ridiculous.

These suggestions seriously aren't crying to make something easier, considering this has nothing to do with difficulty at all, it's just plain cheap and unfair. This game seriously needs more anti-frustration mechanisms.

A Wads Interface,example: fsonic.wad on/off any player is using fsonic will turn into the skin 1 or the last that he is using

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back