Sonic Forces

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the official theme for the main villain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKjOJuPjiu4

It's........... something.

I'll admit, my opinion for Park Avenue and a majority of Sonic Forces' music has made a complete 180 and I'm not too bugged by most of the tracks we've heard so far anymore. In fact, I find myself turning on Park Avenue's theme and kind of jamming out to it from time to time lol.

But Infinite's theme...very 2007ish. Like the edgy stuff people used to listen to.

The more I see of this game, the more I think I'll pass on it.

It almost seems like Sega is pitting Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania against each other, both representing the two extreme universes, and seeing which one wins out.

I honestly think Forces is just suffering from bad timing. If Sonic Team had expected Sonic Mania while Forces was in development, they would have removed classic Sonic entirely and just focused on Modern and the new kid on the block. At least then it would have been clear what the game is being marketed to. The classic sections are ultimately going to clash with the rest of the game's focus and end up feeling like a knockoff of Mania's gameplay. Sales-wise, I'm partly expecting Mania to kick Forces' ass.

Honestly, even if Mania wasn't being developed right now, and there was only Forces to look forward to, it'd still be pretty much the "obligatory Sonic game of the year". I felt the same way towards Lost World, and I feel the same way towards this game.

Coincidentally, both Lost World and Forces pretend to understand why people liked the classic games by just nostalgia pandering as pathetically as they can.

I'm actually 100% okay with it. I just think it's incredibly sloppy of them to keep padding it out with non-boost Classic Sonic.

I'm actually 100% okay with it. I just think it's incredibly sloppy of them to keep padding it out with non-boost Classic Sonic.

Oh, I think there's nothing wrong at all with the boost gameplay. But the videos of the very first level give away what this game is... you having Sonic's Shitty FriendsTM talk to you every 8 seconds telling you to watch out, when to jump, where a powerup is... it's like Megaman X5's Alia on steroids.

I mean, isn't that standard procedure for a lot of modern games, especially games aimed at children? I mean, maybe it's just me, but I know I'm not the target audience for this game and that's fine with me. There are other games in the world that ARE targeting me. Sonic was targeting me in my youth, and despite their seemingly desperate attempts to appeal to me with classic visual designs, I know that the new games are strictly aimed at younger children and I should look elsewhere despite my nostalgia for the franchise.

I mean, isn't that standard procedure for a lot of modern games, especially games aimed at children? I mean, maybe it's just me, but I know I'm not the target audience for this game and that's fine with me. There are other games in the world that ARE targeting me. Sonic was targeting me in my youth, and despite their seemingly desperate attempts to appeal to me with classic visual designs, I know that the new games are strictly aimed at younger children and I should look elsewhere despite my nostalgia for the franchise.

I don't keep up with titles in its target demographic, so maybe I'm out of touch. But I thought Sonic Generations did it well (except for the Time Eater battle). Infinite, and the old edgy music, etc. doesn't quite bother me so much as being told what to do over and over again.

Oh, I think there's nothing wrong at all with the boost gameplay. But the videos of the very first level give away what this game is... you having Sonic's Shitty FriendsTM talk to you every 8 seconds telling you to watch out, when to jump, where a powerup is... it's like Megaman X5's Alia on steroids.
I can relate with this gripe, but the situation here seems to be a bit different as the characters in Forces don't actually tell you, the player, what to do. Instead, they show up and tell Sonic what to do. So far it all seems to just be world building as opposed to hand holding.

Doesn't stops it from being annoying and at the same time pointless. Maybe I just want to have a normal boss fight without having Tails and Eggman pointlessly bickering at each other.

Alright, Here's something :

Sonic Forces [hands on]

Also shows a new type of level called "Tag Team", where you can team up with your custom character, and pull out Special Moves, Faster Boost.

Also it looks like the whole stage is full 3D, I Hope there's lot of those, It's been awhile since we had a proper 3D Sonic game.

EDIT : Cleaner gameplay.

EDIT #2 : New (shorter) showcase uploaded on the official youtube page.

Last edited:
REALLY looking forward to forces. I hope they expand upon the tag team gameplay so we can finally have fully 3D stages again.

I honestly think Forces is just suffering from bad timing. If Sonic Team had expected Sonic Mania while Forces was in development, they would have removed classic Sonic entirely and just focused on Modern and the new kid on the block. At least then it would have been clear what the game is being marketed to. The classic sections are ultimately going to clash with the rest of the game's focus and end up feeling like a knockoff of Mania's gameplay. Sales-wise, I'm partly expecting Mania to kick Forces' ass.

Absolutely agree with this. It almost feels like this was timed poorly; at a time where Mania was generating so much hype (And pulling it off as well, which for today's standards of gaming, is very rare), it almost feels this game has been given a ton of pressure to live up to that standard and hype. Having Classic Sonic in this game almost feels like a panic button incase the Modern and OC Fan Character gameplay doesn't live up to standards.

It's like I stated in a previous post several months back; having three different gameplay styles in one game engine is running the risk of clashing with one another, in which could either make or break the game. It's a dicey risk and because of this and I think it should been a fully 3D from the start without the 2D formula to emphasise on what makes Modern Sonic great. It would be much more important to max out Modern Sonic's potential and get a great 3D Sonic game out of it. The Classics and potentially the Mania route should be strictly 2D only. Mind you only time will tell though.

Last edited:
Having Classic Sonic in this game almost feels like a panic button incase the Modern and OC Fan Character gameplay doesn't live up to standards.

And yet this is nothing new, either. SEGA is always pushing conflicting gameplay styles into a single box in nearly every mainline Sonic title, dating back to Sonic Adventure 2. Sonic '06 with its nine characters; Unleashed with the werehog, even Colors was half sidescroller. It's like they just don't have enough confidence in their core mechanics to make a game with one central gameplay mechanic.

I feel like Sonic Team thinks they can get away with it now because "IT'S LITERALLY SONIC", but classic and modern are still two completely different formulas, even if they're thematically similar. The third character at least links with the boost gameplay in some fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back