Cavernous Canyon Zone, a race map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrTapeworm

Midnight Abyss did nothing wrong
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
This is a simple race map that I made. M-hm. It's fairly self-explanatory, a rocky canyon with some caves and stuff. There are some pit traps and flame jets to add a bit of challenge, but otherwise, this map isn't that tough.

As of the most recent version (as of 4.20.2012), you can now jump over the fences!

Enjoy.

Attachments

• srb20039.png
    srb20039.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 678
  • srb20040.png
    srb20040.png
    50 KB · Views: 549
  • srb20041.png
    srb20041.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 589
  • srb20042.png
    srb20042.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 548
  • r_cavernouscanyonzone_v2.rar
    37.3 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
This is a nice and simple race map, but there were a few things that weren't so good IMO. The first problem is that some turns felt a bit cramped which is especially noticeable if you play as Sonic and thok, unless this was intentional to prevent thok-fests. The second problem was the yellow springs at the end of the second cave, I think you should change them to blue springs since the yellow ones launch you into the ceiling. But overall the map was good.

This place is similar to the layout in one of the OLDC maps, but if you really want a cave-like area, try adding some stalagmites that match the color of the cave.

Played this level in a netgame today, and I had quite a bit of fun in it. Although the lay out is a bit generic it still was fun, although the fences that blocked the player from falling off got a bit annoying I can see why they was added. Besides that, I don't really know what else to say, the level is quite good for a short and easy race.

Having played this in the same netgame KOTE mentioned earlier. I must say, either the fences should be high enough to block the player naturally or they shouldn't be there at all. When the player sees a waist high fence, they assume they can jump over it due to the nature of Sonic the Hedgehog as a platformer and they loose valuable time after crashing into an invisible wall.

ALSO having played this, I have a different suggestion about the fences. I think you should remove the invisible wall, and put something in the center of the chasm that makes it harder to thok or fly over it. Perhaps just a big spire of rock sticking up? That would do the trick, and break the direct path across.

I did enjoy the level quite a bit. Short, but sweet. You had just the right balance of each type of obstacle, especially in regards to the springs. They provided a nice break to the action, yet weren't disruptive, like they often are in race maps.

Guys, are you doing like the Old Multiplayer Maps Task Force or something? Not that I have anything against it. :)

Guys, are you doing like the Old Multiplayer Maps Task Force or something? Not that I have anything against it. :)

Yeah, you could put it that way. We are mostly trying to shed some light on the old levels that was ignored. That way they can be noticed again, and if the mapper is still around, can be updated.

Thanks for the critique, everyone!

It's been over a year since the last release of this level. And so, I present to you, Cavernous Canyon Zone v2. For real this time!*

Changes in this version:
-The wire fence no longer has an invisible wall! I definitely had too much Mario Kart in mind when I first added that thing... Rocks and stuff were added in the pit, and the invisowall itself was pushed back so you can't fly over. (it shouldn't disrupt the actual race now.)
-Checkpoints were slightly modified to fix some annoying respawn glitches.
-Last set of springs no longer launches you into the ceiling.
-Some minor details were added and changed.

*forgot to put the new version in the .rar I uploaded! it should be fixed now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back