[Open Assets] Virtual's MD2 Parade - Sonic 2006 travels to Srb2!

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
New Update:
Sonic 06 MD2 Pack - 27/6/2017

6f0f71f207.png

New update brings a new Sonic model, no other than '06 Sonic himself! Scream darn to the skies and speed up to the not-so speed of light to chase your enemies and flying ships that for no reason wait for you to catch up!

As Always I've included a "Recommended Sizes" text files so you can save the trouble of telling me how lazy I am to resize my models!

This is quite the particular MD2 Pack, it's not finished, but to not keep you waiting, I'll be releasing every individual model I finish and I'll update it to the general MD2 pack I added to attachments, so yeah, expect more in the future, this MD2 pack will bring a lot of models from 06 from itemboxes to rings, to springs, to eggman models and etc

Enjoy!

Dude, those animations are on point! It looks acts exactly the way 06 Sonic does. He even does the little shoe-bang tap in his idle animation. Can't wait to see more!

Dude, those animations are on point! It looks acts exactly the way 06 Sonic does. He even does the little shoe-bang tap in his idle animation. Can't wait to see more!

Thanks dude! I'm so glad you liked it, since this is my first MD2 I've REALLY put all my effort in since the last MD2 I made (SAB2 Sonic). And I made this MD2 in just 3-4 days, since I've found out new ways of setting up MD2s and various other shortcuts that let me make MD2s a lot faster than before, I can't wait to get to work on Tails and Knuckles, I LOVE their models in Sonic 2006!

So for the includes, I've got a kind of set up for the camera that will give you even a more closer feeling to 06 in Srb2:
  • I suggest you use the Analog Controls, that's the closest to the 06 camera yet!
  • Use a "cam_speed 1" to get the camera stiffness like in 06!
  • Use a "cam_height 10" to have a camera height close to 06!
And with this you should be ready to have the 06 feeling complete in Srb2!

Good work on that MD2 ! 06 Sonic might be my favorite Sonic, with his funny running animation, that idle animation makes him look cooler, I'm glad this is released, Nice work.

Have you thought about doing the other characters from Sonic 06, such as Amy, Silver, Shadow, Blaze, Rouge, and Omega? You'd be the first person to do an Omega MD2 if you did.

Have you thought about doing the other characters from Sonic 06, such as Amy, Silver, Shadow, Blaze, Rouge, and Omega? You'd be the first person to do an Omega MD2 if you did.

https://mb.srb2.org/showpost.php?p=793807&postcount=192
https://mb.srb2.org/showpost.php?p=793908&postcount=200
https://mb.srb2.org/showpost.php?p=793924&postcount=202

Are there any other posts that can answer your question?

Anyways, yeah good stuff man, with you being able to use fragmotion to use proper game animations and convert them to frames, the possibilities are endless as to what you could make.

Anyways, yeah good stuff man, with you being able to use fragmotion to use proper game animations and convert them to frames, the possibilities are endless as to what you could make.

Nuff said, this 06 Sonic MD2 doesn't have animations straight from the game, since right now it's not possible for me to port them to fragMotion, so for this MD2, I replicated as much as I could the animations from 06. My first MD2 ever that has hand made animations xD

Last edited:
I think we can safely say that you have the superior Sonic 06 md2.
Mine looks like garbage compared to yours.

But you were the first one to try and port this particular model, and you even made the item frames for it! in which I didn't cause I didn't know how to make them without the model looking all weird, so let's not do comparisons, making an MD2 for Srb2 is very hard, and both of us gave our best for our models!

Sorry for being inconsistent with the new models, it's true that I said I would "release each individual model as I go finishing them", buuuut I got carried away and made a lot more models than I anticipated without releasing them, those being the *Chaos Emeralds*, *Item Boxes*, *Springs*, and Characters like Knuckles (already finished!), and the WIP Tails MD2, once I finish Tails I promise I will update the thread with the usual update on the General MD2 pack with all the MD2s released in here and as well a brand new RAR file specifically for the 06 MD2s I've recently made, making this new upcoming pack the second RAR attachment dedicated to a MD2 pack (the first one being the SADX MD2 pack).

So yeah, I'll be posting new screenshots of the somewhat finished Sonic 06 MD2s I've already finished real soon, stay tuned!

This has been your boi, VirtualBlitz546 (AKA ChaosX79, waiting for that name change requested decades ago, pls b0ss), and I'm out!

**EDIT:** So there has been some issues with the Tails model, fragMotion crashes when I try to import it to MD2 oddly enough, I'm trying to fix this somehow, I'll update ya if I find a fix.

Last edited:
Definitely keep doing it by doing several models at once before updating the pack. I'd love to receive the content as it is finished, but I would rather update my folder less often. Besides, having more content makes every release that much better! So don't be afraid of completing more models before you update the pack. :)

Definitely keep doing it by doing several models at once before updating the pack. I'd love to receive the content as it is finished, but I would rather update my folder less often. Besides, having more content makes every release that much better! So don't be afraid of completing more models before you update the pack. :)

Yes sorry about that haha, I'll make sure to keep my word next time.

So moving to the accidental Tails MD2 model, the reason of fragMotion crashing was no other than exceeding vertice limits, seems that this MD2 exporter detects when there's too many detail on models for this specific format, so it soft crashes the program in the moment.

This is how the Tails model was originally going to look like in SRB2 in my point of view:
6ac77828de.png
To fix this problem I've decided to reduce the faces count on the Tails model, but as fragMotion being a cheap indie program, it doesn't have a lot of options to handle face reduction methods.
Therefore the model won't have any proper UV texture handling for the new reduced faces of the model, making the model look like this:

This is how the model looks with reduced faces (this matches perfectly with the limits of SRB2):
19e51159f7.png
As you may already be thinking, this looks like plain crap, so I tried a LOT of ways to fix this, I even downloaded blender and see if I could fix the vertices limits like TheDoctor once told me, but I found myself not being able to do jack shat with it, so I had no other option than to sacrifice the quality of the textures for plain colors, making the model look like this as the final result:

fa792e787e.png
KEEP IN MIND that not the whole model has been flattened in texture quality, a few of the parts of the model got ignored by the face reducer, so i was able to salvage some of the texture being used in the model such as this:

af24c43615.png
I just hope you can bear with it, I don't like how the texture quality turned out too, but I don't want to leave Tails behind, I made possibly some of the best animations I've ever done for my MD2s for this Tails model, so once I fully finish all of his animations, I'll be releasing this model too.

Last edited:
The changes are completely fine by me—though, if you go ahead with them, perhaps you could update the other characters to fit the same style? It would be weird if Sonic had all those detailed textures and Tails didn't, so I'd rather you do the same thing to Sonic as you did with Tails, to keep it consistent. But that's up to you of course! They're still coming along great. :D

New Major Update!:
New Sonic 06 MD2 Pack - 3/7/2017

76c154c72e.png

This new major update to the Sonic 2k6 MD2 Pack brings a whole new set of models directly ported from Sonic 06! Incluiding from Rings, to Springs, Item Boxes and Characters!

For this update I've added a brand new RAR file dedicated to this new major MD2 Pack update with all the models including an already set MD2.dat file for easier set up! I've also included optional blend textures just in case you wanna use Sonic, Tails & Knuckles in Online MP with different colors (as well as Super Sonic in SP)!

I'll be updating the General MD2 Pack containing all the models released on this thread so far with this new model update!
A lot of effort has been put into this new release so I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed both making and playing with these models!

Here are a pack of screenshots of almost all the newly added models!:
7c25ac7422.png
38821cb98d.png
05a5db1350.png
1acf0acf7e.png
a2f31c33a5.png
0a75fae35a.png
6c387d5f78.png

Enjoy!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back