March/April 2011 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, grow up. Infractions have been given to many of you, and those that didn't get one should count yourself as lucky.

Glaber's inability to make good maps was discussed months ago, and is not immediately relevant in this OLDC voting.

I figured I'd step in and tally up the current scores. Can't guarantee 100% accuracy, but it should give you a very good idea of the current standings in any case.

SINGLE PLAYER:

Lakeside Hill Zone --------------- 2 3 3 4 1 4 2 1 1 1 2 - 1 1 2 2 2 --- 2.066666667
Outerspace Threat Zone ---------- 1 2 1 2 2 3 1 2 0 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 2 --- 1.411764706

MATCH:

Forst Rush Zon Zone -------------- 2 1 2 - 1 1 1 3 5 1 2 4 --- 2.2
Sandstorm Zone ------------------ 4 4 2 4 3 6 3 2 7 3 4 3 --- 3.75
Zero Effort Flower Zone Act 12 ---- 1 8 - 5 6 7 3 5 6 5 4 7 --- 5.6
AccursedDonut.wad --------------- 5 6 3 2 1 1 1 3 6 1 4 - --- 3.2
Egg Hanger Zone ---------------- 9 9 4 5 8 9 - 6 8 7 6 4 --- 7.1

CAPTURE THE FLAG:

Frozen Destruction Zone ----------- 3 7 2 - 3 3 6 5 2 3 4 --- 4
Angle Forest Zone ----------------- 1 0 1 3 1 2 0 3 - 1 7 --- 2.111111111
Mossy Mushroom Zone ----------- 7 4 4 6 - 6 8 8 4 6 8 --- 6.333333333

RACE:

Lost Feelings Island
-------------- 8 8 8 8 7 8 - 6 5 X --- 7.875
Burned Mystic Desert Zone --------- 3 2 1 3 3 1 3 1 1 2 --- 2

And by the way, guys, you might want to check your spelling. It seems like almost everyone except me is calling Miles Knuckles Power "Miles Knuckle Prower" - even, rather shockingly, Mystic himself, in the list of entries. I seem to recall asking him once in a Private Message whether he misspelled his name when creating his account, and he told me that he really did call himself "Miles Knuckle Power" deliberately. So, yeah, you might want to actually check the name of the author next time.

Last edited:
Fawfulfan, the voting period is not over. Or did you just want to give a temporary overview?

And by the way, guys, you might want to check your spelling. It seems like almost everyone except me is calling Miles Knuckles Power "Miles Knuckle Prower" - even, rather shockingly, Mystic himself, in the list of entries. I seem to recall asking him once in a Private Message whether he misspelled his name when creating his account, and he told me that he really did call himself "Miles Knuckle Power" deliberately. So, yeah, you might want to actually check the name of the author next time.
Actually, I think most people just copied Mystic's list. I know I always do that.

The average is currently 3.92. Ouch! Then again, some past contests from around 2006 would have received similar scores if people hadn't given much more generous score in general back then. If we could have a 6.35 two years ago, we can have a 3.92 now.

Last edited:
Lakeside Hill Zone ----------------- 2 3 3 4 1 4 2 1 1 1 2 - 1 1 2 2 2 --- 2.066666667
Mossy Mushroom Zone ------------- 7 4 4 6 - 6 8 8 4 6 8 --- 6.333333333

Egg Hanger Zone ------------------ 9 9 4 5 8 9 - 6 8 7 6 4 --- 6.5

This is not the role of a admin to give the results ?

Ah, in fact ... Lakeside Hill and Mossy Mushroom, let's just round up to 2 and 6.3 respectively ...

Egg Hanger : 6.5 ? It's strange ! I've seen only very large notes as 7-8-9 !
You're sure you have well counted ?

I know the waiting period isn't over. I wanted to show how it was going so far, that's all.

Also, thanks for pointing that out, IE. It's 7.1, not 6.5. There's a strike through the first 4, but it's almost impossible to see.

Desided to give the race maps a spin.

Lost Feelings Island : 5/10
Looked nice, but was quite a thok-fest, and the laps were too long.

Burned Mystic Desert Zone : 2/10
More thok-fests, along with boring detail and a zoom tube that looked like I could walk into it, but instead I have to spin into it.

May or may not vote on the over divisions.

I was just thinking, I know Angle Forest got a 0 from someone. Should that even be allowed? I mean, people are allowed their opinions and all, but 0 is meant for unplayable maps, not bad maps. It certainly wasn't unplayable at all. Just because someone stinks so bad they can't get over a spring pit doesn't mean they can rate the thing a 0, does it? I could even understand, if it lagged like Cherry Canyon did in the one contest, but it doesn't, no, not at all.

I was just thinking, I know Angle Forest got a 0 from someone. Should that even be allowed? I mean, people are allowed their opinions and all, but 0 is meant for unplayable maps, not bad maps. It certainly wasn't unplayable at all. Just because someone stinks so bad they can't get over a spring pit doesn't mean they can rate the thing a 0, does it? I could even understand, if it lagged like Cherry Canyon did in the one contest, but it doesn't, no, not at all.
People can give any vote that they want if they feel that it deserves such a score. If someone thinks Angle Forest deserves a 0, then they are allowed to give it a 0.

People can give any vote that they want if they feel that it deserves such a score. If someone thinks Angle Forest deserves a 0, then they are allowed to give it a 0.
Isn't that a bit unfair? Like Chary said, I think 0's should be reserved for unplayable maps only.(Like the OP scale) The map was not unplayable and it was just someone not being able to pass an obstacle.

Edit: This post is going off Chary's post that the map is playable, if this map is really unplayable then ignore this post.

Last edited:
I think that Angle Forest could be reasonably construed as unplayable. It's nearly impossible to get the flag, particularly in a large netgame.

Isn't that a bit unfair? Like Chary said, I think 0's should be reserved for unplayable maps only.(Like the OP scale) The map was not unplayable and it was just someone not being able to pass an obstacle.

Edit: This post is going off Chary's post that the map is playable, if this map is really unplayable then ignore this post.
It's playable IMO, but my point was is that 0 isn't exclusively reserved for unplayable maps. After all, EVERY map could be construed as unplayable if the person is bad enough at the game.

I think that Angle Forest could be reasonably construed as unplayable. It's nearly impossible to get the flag, particularly in a large netgame.

...Not true. I captured the flag 3 times easy as pie, even with a number of good players in the game. And I'm not even anywhere near as good as a lot of people out there. And even if having to avoid fire that whole way IS in issue, it's incredibly easy to dodge out of view, what with all the protruding obstacles. I think the fact of the matter is, the flag may not be easy to get in the sense of the word, but it certainly isn't anywhere near impossible. It just takes a tiny bit of skill, and perhaps a little strategy if the fire is heavy enough.

Hey, guys, voting in the OLDC is going to involve the personal opinions of those playing the round. This means that what you may like or dislike are going to conflict with those of the other voters. This is NORMAL, and in fact is a good thing because it provides a large range of feedback to authors, not just a unified message. Don't worry about it.

Ok, I understand. I was just under the impression that 0 was for maps that were literally unplayable, like Grassy Cliffs, or, *snicker* Misty Mire.

I finished voting, check back to my earlier post to see them!

On a side note, I thought Egg Hangar we going to get a lower score then what it has now. o.o'

Define "unplayable". That term will have different meanings to different people.

Impossible to complete.

Oh, and I redid my score for Egg Hangar Zone. After KOTE gave me a little tour around, I feel I have to give it a little boost just for the creativity and love that was put into it. Even if it's not the funnest map to play in Match, it's still an awesome map. I didn't take the time to actually give it a good look around before.

Last edited:
Impossible to complete.

Unplayable does not mean "Unable to complete". If the guy who has made ​​EGG ROCK ZONE put his level to the competition and remove the sector where is the flag, I do not think we will put 0.

For me, unplayable means "the level does not work".
A 0 can be applied only if the creator has made the level in two-three minutes ... or if he is "unplayable".
If a designer spending time on a wad, and the wad is pretty bad, he will still spend time working on it. I surely can not put him a zero, he worked.

In A. Forest, "bad level design" does certainly not unplayable. It is simply linked to the difficulty of the level.

In other words, a level where the player can play on in is a level that works.

Last edited:
"Unplayable" means unplayable. Whoever gave Angle Forest a 0 was unable to complete a round of CTF in it because it's as good as impossible under a certain amount of lag (I can imagine it becoming impossible around the 150ms mark already) or with certain teams of players (for example ones who can shoot very accurately and quickly so that you have practically no chance to ever make it across the springs alive). If it's not possible to complete a round of CTF in a reasonable amount of time (like, less than one hour), the map is literally unplayable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back