3D TV sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have my 10 year old Tatung Green TV in my room and I'm happy with that as that still works.

...This is just like the whole 4 different DSes thing again. :(
Except DSes are actually affordable.

Just wait a year or so, the price will drop a lot by then, as soon as they find an better version the origanal will decreese in size (Look at PC's, the new "high tech" ones are easily replaced by the next best thing)

I have to admit i am curious to see what these are like, and what playing some games on them will be like, hell maybe there will be some games made just for these types of TVs in the next few years.

Do you realize how fast prices drop on new display technology? Five years ago, a good (for the time) LCD monitor would cost about $700. Now you can get a similar model or better for, like, 1/8 of that price.

I say wait several years, grab a TV, enjoy the leap in technology over your old set, then wait 5-10 years before getting a new set. You don't have to buy a new TV every time one new little feature comes out, but it's nice to at least kinda stay on top of technology.

Last edited:
When I saw this, I honestly thought "what's the point?" But then I remembered that 3D is getting annoyingly popular in movies again and they probably either:
a) thought that people would say "OH COOL!!" and jet to spend all of their hard earned cash on a stupid TV, because 3D movies are so "cool".
b) the people who made these thought, "well, some people may not like leaving their homes to experience a 3D movie, so let's give mankind another reason to sit on their couches and stay home, because 3D movies are so cool."

Either one speaks to the gratuitousness of the whole thing.

Do you remember how expensive VHS tapes were when they came out?

Moore's law would equalize the prices like it always does. Hopefully you'll be stable enough to live long to see the price of a big 3D HDTV to be $150.

I hope 3D TVs don't suffer from the headache issue VR glasses has had in the past.
If it doesn't backfire and lives up to the hype, then this is the road map to 2010's 'next gen'.

The problem with VHS is that VHS tapes were expensive throughout their effective lifespan. The cost of creating all that film, the plastic spools, the plastic case, and all the moving parts greatly outweighs the cost of pressing a compact or digital video disc. I'm sure that the process of recording a film onto a VHS tape was also more complex.
The only reason the price for them has gone down is that nobody cares about VHS anymore. There is very little demand, and thus the price must be set low in order to garner any sales at all.

I'm sure that they'll get polarized glasses that look and feel more like "real" glasses, and you could get comfortable wearing them. When 3D TVs become a household occurrence, all of the manufacturing companies will jump on selling different ranges and qualities.
Of course, having glasses already, wearing polarized glasses just looks silly on me.

...This is just like the whole 4 different DSes thing again. :(

This statement is false.

The different DS has absolutely no significant change (okay one has a weak camera). 3D TV is a new way of immersing yourself in an experience, it's not very widely adopted.

Also, this is a network, not a TV, read the article before you start calling $10k.

Still waiting for transparent screens so I can replace my window glass though.

It's a novelty, not a future thing anyways, HDTV is the way of the future, 3D TV really isn't because it's not all that advanced, the future is in holograms and stuff.

Don't deny that it'll happen, you know it will.

I'm thinking that holograms might be subject to the same limitations as projectors - you'd need to have a solid color behind them or else picture quality would deteriorate.

But hey, holograms!

As for the 3D glasses, I imagine that they might be a pain for those who move about the house a lot, though they'd be great for stuff like movies, where you just grab food stuffs and sit in place for the duration of the feature. They better come in the clip-on shades variety, too, for us four-eyed freaks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back