SRB2 MD2 installer interactive LOLOLOL UPDATE WHEE COME HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conic

This is my SRB2 MD2 model installer, which is interactive. I'll just quote my post from this forum post.

NEW VERSION!!!

I'd check the link for updates.

Conicpp said:
Since I just LOVE outdoing Sky_Ninja in every way possible, I present my md2 model installer.

This one is not a WinRAR sfx, but a full C# .NET application.

As the title states, this is a Pre Pre Pre Alpha.

Expect to find lots of bugs. :grin:

Basically this is an installer for MD2 models that downloads them from a MD2 model repository. I'm currently hosting one, but it doesn't have very many MD2s in it. As in, 5. The bushes, the alarm, and sonic. (Ashnal's sonic. <-- Will eventually change to wizard sonic.)

It deletes your md2.dat, so I'd make a backup of your MD2 folder and md2.dat before trying this.

Here is how you make a repository:

In a directory on your website, make a file called models.txt

Despite the extension, this file is a csv file, which means you can use excel to edit it, but I would recommend using notepad. Here's the syntax:

<name>,<file>,<text>
...more...
eof

Name of model: This is the message in the message box that pops up, "Would you like to install the <nameofmodel> model?"

File name: This is the RELATIVE path of the model ZIP FILE. (It NEEDS to be a zip file. NO RARs OR ANYTHING ELSE.) If you have model files in another folder, MOVE THEM. They need to be in the same folder as models.txt. There should only be a file name, no '/' or 'http"//'. This would cause problems with EVERYTHING. The zip file needs to have two files. <whatever>.md2 and <whatever>.png. NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS.

Text file containing code: This is a text file that has the code to be inserted in md2.dat. This follows the same rules as the zip file.

YOU NEED THE COMMAS.
NO SPACES BEFORE OR AFTER A FIELD.

as an example of models.txt, this is mine.

alarm,alrm.zip,arlm.txt
Sonic,play.zip,play.txt
rings,bon1.zip,bon1.txt
bushes,bush.zip,bush.txt
eof

THE 'eof' IS CRITICAL!

also, for example, play.txt would have this in it:

PLAY PLAY.MD2 3.0 0.0

Post a link to that directory and tell people to use it in the program.

And that is how you make a repository.

New in Pre Pre Pre Alpha:
Menu strip
Random code cleanup (That you can't see)
new models.txt system
general awesomeness.
Automatic update checker

Post your suggestions, constructive criticism, mindless complements, etc. here.

Alright, bye.

Oh, yeah.

download Pre Pre Pre Alpha, the latest version.

.:.:Older Versions:.:.

These are out of date, so don't download them for anything other than Testing purposes.

download UBER PRE PRE PRE ALPHA.

Download Super Uber Pre Pre Pre Alpha. (In the installer for this one, it says "Pre Alpha", but it isn't.)

Impressive. A nice easier way to load MD2's that you want to, or not want to load. :)

Ok this is needed
SkyNinja said:
I absolutely hate you.
A model repository sounds great, though.
Anyways i have already tried this and seems really good but what about a status bar?

Conicpp said:
Status bar? What do you mean by that?
statusbarie9.jpg

Okay, I need a much more simple explanation of what this is for. What does this do that the old fashioned MD2.dat file doesn't do?

Silent_Snipe, you mean progress bar. I have one of those in the latest version. Download the latest one!

Fawfulfan, this downloads models from the internet and installs them, automatically creating md2.dat.

Conicpp said:
Fawfulfan, this downloads models from the internet and installs them, automatically creating md2.dat.

Wow...what site does it get the md2 files from?

Yes, there is a way. I'll get right to work on it.

EDIT: This may take longer than I thought. When I make it automatically check for updates in visual studio, it completely messes up and does tons of ugly things. I think I don't really need to to that, right?

Conicpp said:
Sky Ninja is making one of his own with ALL the models.
Not ALL of them... All the ones I have, which is most of them. Anyway, some wouldn't be possible. Tails and Knuckles, which both still use PLAY sprites for this, would cause conflicts, so those won't be in models.txt, and I'm lacking some... although I don't know exactly what...

If only there was a way for this thing to hack the source code of SRB2 and have this thing have a code in it that can tell SRB2 to load player models exclusively for a skin specified. :/

EDIT: by hacking the source code I mean a way that allows the model-for-skin thing to work.

Ideally, you should be able to download all the player character models and switch them out whenever you want them installed.

I will think about all these suggestions. Maybe add kind of an "MD2 Launcher" onto this? Oh, when it's installed, it asks you if you want to extract the MD2 Launcher to your srb2 folder. How's that sound?

Could you add a feature so users can upload their own custom md2 models and other users can browse the ones people have uploaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back