zSRB2 - SRB2 for Zandronum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sluggard

Formerly "RomioTheBadass"
zSRB2 is my recreation of Sonic Robo Blast 2 on the Zandronum engine, the goal for v1 was to recreate the Multiplayer portion of the game, It currently features 3 New Game Modes, Match, a new type CTF and Race, Check out the list below for key features of the game:

Screenshots
Screenshot_Doom_20170204_135210.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170202_122003.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170202_122503.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170219_142447.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170202_122054.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170216_163141.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170216_163449.png

DOWNLOAD LINK : http://www.mediafire.com/file/t6cp3ybzv8t6tb3/zSRB2.zip (Requires Zandronum v3.0, OpenGL Mode Recommended but not necessary)

Features
  • New Type of Capture the Flag.
  • New Race mode, ready to be played, finish 3 Laps and try to get the highest score.
  • Breakable Monitors with Proper bouncing physics, Jump on them or spin into them to Break.
  • New SRB2-ish Chasecam based on "TheArmyGuy's code" (Great thanks to him for allowing me to use it), Which will be enabled if Coop or Survival modes are on.
  • Added additional options under options menu to let you configure it the way you want.
  • 3 Playable Characters, Sonic, Knuckles and Tails, Sonic can perform a fast and Strong Jump dash ability, making him hard to hunt down, Knuckles can Glide and Climb, and Tails can fly and reach places that Sonic and Knuckles can't reach by Normal Means.
  • Extended Player class states with New Spring, Gasp and Running animations.
  • Spindash, Press your Alt fire key to spin.
  • 4 Shield Powerups, Force Shield, Elemental Shield, WhirlWind Shield and Armageddon Shield, each with their unique abilities, Press Spindash in air to activate their abilities.
  • Underwater system with low gravity, Elemental Shield allows you to breath Underwater, alternatively you can breath from air bubbles (don't drown !)
  • Elemental Shield will protect you from Fire damagetype.
  • All new SRB2 weapon rings recreated in DECORATE, complete with their features and ammo style.
  • New ammo system, you need at least 1 Ring to fire a projectile from your current weapon, a shot costs 1 ring and bit of that weapon ammo type.
  • Over 15 Maps fully ported to Doom in Hexen Format, complete with their gimmicks.
  • over 50 Thing types recreated in DECORATE Format, with their original DoomedNums to make porting other SRB2 maps easier in the future.
  • New Score system, you get 50 Points for damaging an opponent and 100 for killing him.
  • New Health system, you need at least 1 Ring to not die, you get a thrust after getting hit and you lose control of your character and rings until you land again (though you will still be able to fire projectiles), If you have a shield you don't lose or drop rings.
  • Player acceleration.

How do I host this ?
Load the included Batch file, If you would like to use TSPG Painkiller to host it, start it with the megagame.wad, You can also change Maximum points before round ends using the next console command via RCON :
  • RCON Maxpoints "VALUE"
Once you're ingame, Head to Customize Controls and Bind keys for :
  • Spindash.
  • Scoreboard.
  • Ability (very bottom of controls list).
  • Third Persone Mode (Coop only).

Last edited:
Ok, but what is this all for, if its for a wad, lua or something you should've posted it in the editing section, or are you changing some mechanics in the game.

I thought the editing section is for SRB2 Mods, this isn't a mod for SRB2 but still related to SRB2.

Woah, so are you only focusing on multiplayer or are you bringing the entire game into ZDoom??

Depends, If i ever get time to port rest of maps, I sure will, but that would require alot more work and recreating the enemies on a different actors format isn't so easy.

I got the shields to work and they will follow the player's location now, No secondary effects for them yet though, they just block shots and disappear after getting hit (the shields have health and are designed to remove on shot).

Last edited:
Indeed, but i'm making it mainly for Zandronum, I always wanted a better netcode and better FPS, Should still work on rest of ZDoom's children ports.

Not even kidding, using all textures converted to .png True color so they are not affected by palette

aw, you removed my favorite thing to experiment with :c

Regardless, I'll believe it when I see it. I don't even know which port you're making this for (Zandronum or GZDoom? They are juuust far enough apart that you can't "do both" without actively maintaining two versions), nor if this is hardcoded or just done with DECORATE/ACS. Just very vague details all around :V

EDIT: Oh, you actively tried hiding the video link. It's neat I guess, but it's pretty much just a "skin over Doom" rather than a "as close to the original port" as the topic makes it out to be honestly

Last edited:
The video doesn't showcase all changes i have made mind you, I have updated pretty much all weapons to behave just like SRB2 weapons, I'm thinking about uploading a beta version for you guys to test and see.

The player class was also updated to play the Jumping and Spindash animations, and will also update the movement system to Play proper running and walking animations using the sqrt.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about weapon accuracy, since ZDoom already supplies a lot of actions to make all of that easily. I'm talking more about difficult things, like making accurate physics; none of the special acceleration stuff SRB2 does seems to be there at all, it just looks like normal Doom movement but with thok.

Don't get me wrong, I still find some charm in it (it reminds me a little bit of those old videos of people running 1.09.4 in Skulltag), but I can't help but feel the topic is somewhat misleading :p

Last edited:
I Agree, I'm not trying to accurately recreate it, I'm just doing all i can to at least bring the taste of SRB2's Match madness to ZDoom, there may be few things that ZDoom can't recreate, But so far i'm glad i could recreate at least Sonic's animation states in DECORATE form, along with weapon physics and the thok ability lol.

Last edited:
Wait, are you sure you can't do teetering? I would think you would be able to, if two objects locked on the ground, one behind the player, and one infront, were to have a large vertical difference while the player was standing? Infact, I dare say something like that might be able to be used to recreate slope physics. I'm not quite sure, though. You could measure that sort of thing with GetActorFloorZ, though.

Wouldn't that basically make teetering on more than just on edges ?

EDIT : ok I have to admit it's definitely possible, Also..

Last edited:
Probably if i find use of it, once i learn the basics of that format, though it shares some similarities with DECORATE it is still an incomplete feature so i'd rather stick with DECORATE and ACS Combination.

Last edited:
Alright folks, Since i don't want to lose my work and i'm in real need of feedback i'm uploading a test version here, Compatible with Zandronum 3.0 or higher, it still requires the Doom2.wad right now, make sure to enable chasecam to see all player animation frames ;)

Bind a key for spindash in options, It's the alt fire, and a key for Jumpdash (so you can thok after pressing it mid-air), It's on very bottom of controls list under "Customize controls".

Link #2 (Fixed a Small player animation bug) : https://www.mediafire.com/?81l93d65hip4kii

* All weapons don't require rings as Primary ammo yet, but each uses it's own ammo.
* Current weapon and Rings counter huds are absent, they will be added later.
* There's no running animation yet because speed value is set and unchanged during movement, this is gonna require a movement system overhaul which i'm planning to do later.
How to : Load it in Deathmatch mode on either MAP01 or MAP02, and add few bots, and throw some rings.

* Video link.

Waiting for feedback...

Last edited:
UPDATE : The game is now standalone and no longer requires Doom2, I also made some nice changes, it's shaping up nicely...

• Monitors are now breakable if Spun into or Jumped on.
  • Status bar replaced with rings counter on top left of screen and current weapon on bottom Pretty much like SRB2.
  • Idle Animation (took shit load of lines to get it working right).

Keep sv_monsters true because few items on maps need it, (EDIT : Updated with correct file) Get it right meow.

I'm also renaming the project to zSRB2, works better IMO.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

• Fixed Some decorate Jumps that were clientsided and only worked offline (they should work online now).
  • Improved online perfomance and decreased packet sends by switching minor script types to CLIENTSIDED.
  • Improved Monitor breaking, should be less glitchy now.

EDIT : Ugh, wrong file again, Link updated in the OP, Mediafire is driving me nuts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back