2014, the Year of 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dark City Zone: Brak Eggman is actually Dark City's boss. It has been moved to Egg Rock Zone Act 3 for 2.0, but will be incorporated into Dark City Zone once the first two acts are made. Brak Eggman's missiles will be used in the first two acts as standalone objects

I think 2.1 won't have Dark City; Black Eggman will have new sprites and to continue in EGZ3.

2.1 won't have Dark City, nobody confirmed that.

So, this new NiGHTS Mode is going to be just Record Attack under a different name and with a different selection of levels, right? What if a mod that only uses old-style Special Stages is added? Would this new NiGHTS Mode get a different name or something?

What about the new grading system? Will it work in 2.0 style Special Stages?

So, this new NiGHTS Mode is going to be just Record Attack under a different name and with a different selection of levels, right?
It's not exactly the same as Record Attack, but otherwise yes.
What if a mod that only uses old-style Special Stages is added? Would this new NiGHTS Mode get a different name or something?
No, because it's not actually automatic which stages go in or not. You will be able to determine which levels go in yourself with their level headers (like how "TimeAttack" exists in 2.0 for deciding which levels go in Time Attack).
What about the new grading system? Will it work in 2.0 style Special Stages?
Again, no. The grading system is designed for NiGHTS levels only currently.

All emblems are set up in the main config file, and the A emblem isn't hard coded or anything. If you want to have an emblem for getting a C in your mod's special stages, you can totally do this.

Old style special stages are exactly the same as they are in 2.0, and therefore don't have any emblem types assigned to them, although I suspect that you could probably put hidden emblems into them like you could in any other normal stage.

Thanks for all the answers so far!

Last question: Let's say I remove all the native game's level header data from the MAINCFG lump and add my own, without adding any NiGHTS stages. What happens with NiGHTS Mode in that case?

The game refuses to load because you can't do that.

Well, that's kind of bullshit that the game won't load if there are no NiGHTS stages at all. Why would it be like that? Can't NiGHTS Mode just be disabled?

...Unless you meant the "remove all level header data" part. I dunno, the Wiki page says that it'll be possible to do that.

SRB2 Wiki said:
SRB2's default settings regarding emblems, unlockables and level headers can now be erased in the MAINCFG.

My English is not perfect, so it's possible I misunderstood this, but I really can't see how.

EDIT: Reading it again, maybe I phrased my question really badly. I meant it like: You add a mod with a MAINCFG lump that tells the game to erase all the vanilla level header data and then read what's on the mod's MAINCFG lump. If this newly added lump has no NiGHTS stages [insert rest of the question here]. If this was the issue, then please excuse my sucky English!

Last edited:
Not that I'm against the idea of being optional on this and that, but why on Earth would anyone want the old special stage system back?

... You add a mod with a MAINCFG lump that tells the game to erase all the vanilla level header data and then read what's on the mod's MAINCFG lump. If this newly added lump has no NiGHTS stages [insert rest of the question here].

You can do this.

You can do this.

...Yes. So, OK, I do this, then what happens when I try to enter NiGHTS Mode? In the situation I previously mentioned, there would be none, so... does the game disable the menu? Does the game crash or lock up if I try to enter? Does it just kick me out saying there are no maps that can be used in that mode? Does it go "screw this" and show all the levels? Or no levels at all, rendering the menu useless?

What would be the consequences of going into NiGHTS Mode when there are no NiGHTS maps at all loaded in the game?

Nah, probably not. Should just display a message box saying there aren't any loaded I presume.

EDIT: Just checked, it won't crash the game, so don't worry about that.

Last edited:
[18:37]Prime_2: It just turns out that we couldn't stick to our original schedule of releasing 2.1 when it's done... we have to wait for about 2 weeks or so until after it's done to release, as it turns out
[18:37]Prime_2: by the way, 2.1 is coming out in 2 weeks

I'm so happy right now guys... I really am. ;ω;
I'm also frustrated because now I can't release Sonic or Shadow on the same day as 2.1

I'm so happy right now guys... I really am. ;ω;
I'm also frustrated because now I can't release Sonic or Shadow on the same day as 2.1
Oh come on, you can't just repeat the punchline without the setup!
[20:34:53] <XSpeedGodX> https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?p=741164#post741164 <-- WAIT WAIT WAIT...WHAT?
[20:35:16] <Torgo> huh
[20:35:22] <XSpeedGodX> 2.1.x?
[20:35:33] <D00D64-X> ITS COMING
[20:35:34] <XSpeedGodX> Does that mean 2.1 will be released before the oldc?
[20:35:44] <D00D64-X> ITS COMING TOO
[20:35:52] <Prime_2> It's delayed, actually
[20:35:53] <Badz> "Mystic is an ass and posts 2.1 topics"
[20:35:56] <MrMystery> lol
[20:36:03] <XSpeedGodX> Swear to god
[20:36:05] <Prime_2> No joke, it really is
[20:36:06] <Torgo> It will be 3.0, because the dev team is afraid of x.1
[20:36:20] <XSpeedGodX> Aw okay ;-;
[20:36:21] <XSpeedGodX> I mean
[20:36:23] <Badz> Heh, whatever
[20:36:26] <XSpeedGodX> I'm stoked for 2.1 and all
[20:36:27] <XSpeedGodX> but
[20:36:32] <Torgo> terrible joke
[20:36:36] <Prime_2> it's a dick move, and we apologize for sending the wrong message with the re-opening of the OLDC.
[20:36:36] <XSpeedGodX> I want to at least get Sonic and Shadow done ;_;
[20:36:51] <MrMystery> didn't you guys allow a couple months of leeway between 2.0 and the first contest for it
[20:37:02] <XSpeedGodX> I guess I'll finish Sonic first since Shadow requires Lua
[20:37:11] <Prime_2> It just turns out that we couldn't stick to our original schedule of releasing 2.1 when it's done... we have to wait for about 2 weeks or so after it's done to release, as it turns out
[20:37:16] <Prime_2> by the way, 2.1 is coming out in 2 weeks
Four years of preparation, and the joke is ruined in one fell swoop. Low blow man, low blow. ;-;

*shot*

EDIT: Joking aside, direct further discussion of the impending release here, if you would.

Last edited:
So... Any news about 2.1's testing? (SORRY THE HYPE IS CONTROLLING MY MIND. Derp).
Nah-but-really. Any news? I'm so excited.

SUPER HYPE ACTIVATED

Welcome to Releases, 2.1. Man i can't wait for ya. 2.1 is coming in at least 2 or 1 more day exact, and man i am so hyped about it. I wanted to get this so hard, I told my father i am hyped about it, and he said (Cant Believe it) That he was hyped to. Is it me, or does he check my history?

Boomshakalaka! Here comes 2.1!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back