Genesis 20th Anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the Mega Drive in Japan was released almost a year before in '88 and over a year later in '90 for Europe but I'm talking about the '89 release of the Genesis in the U.S. I'm surprised this topic wasn't created on the day of, sorta. Anyways, how did you guys spend your August 14th? Did anyone forget? I'm keeping my love for the console strong and upholding my collection. My day could've been better. Guests came so I couldn't veg out in front of my screen that day and I was out of the house for the weekend. Thank god I got my cousin a Genesis otherwise I'd have spent the weekend with nothing to do other than watch DVDs of the WWF Attitude Era which I've seen loads of times already. For the past 2 weeks I actually gave Genesis sports games a chance. While some sucked I actually enjoyed a bunch. This was surprising to me. I used to be one of those people who hated all the sport games (sans NBA Jam & Hangtime) without even giving them a chance but now I've turned around and enjoyed playing 3P with my cousin and bro (both of which are only 15 and 14, I got them into the console) on games such as Madden '96, College Football's National Championship which I recently played last night and recorded my gameplay, and what is considered to be one of the best if not the best sport game out there that even beat Punch Out in a poll, NHL '94. I don't like NHL '94 THAT much but it's still a pretty fun game.

Last edited:
I remember sitting next to the TV with the 4 Games in One Cartridge plugged into my good ol' Model 2 Genesis.
Sonic, Golden Axe, Columns, And Streets of Rage...
Good Times.

Ahh the old Genesis...I remember playing Sonic 2 in My Uncle's genesis...
Maybe the Genesis was and is one of the greatest Video game Consoles in History (My Opinion).

PD: Happy Birthday Sega Genesis (lol)

Freaking Streets of Rage, Golden Axe and Sonic, man! Dang, those were the best years of my childhood as a five year old. Before then, I was shortly (a few months to let you know, but then I learned of Sonic) attached to an SNES system.

But Genesis freaking dominated.

High five, Superflip! Awesome times!

EDIT: How dare I forget Earthworm Jim?! That game was the bomb.

Last edited:
YEA Altered Beast best game ever eat that super mario bros. you sorry excuse of a packin game! SEGA DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T!!!!!

So, the Genesis is 20 now? Cool.
Now Look at this:
megadrive4_logo.jpg

megadrive4.jpg

megadrive_guitar.jpg

Includes 87 games and the game Guitar Idol >.>
Tectoy never wants the Genesis to die. REMAKE THE DREAMCAST ALREADY.

Depending on the price, that can be "****ing *"

If price is greater than or equal to $50, * = Stupid

If price is less than $50, * = Awesome

In my opinion, the NES had more memorable games then the Genesis. Not to say the Genesis wasn't awesome though. Streets of Rage, Sonic, and the Genesis version of Mortal Kombat were all epic.

Well, you shouldn't compare the Genesis with the NES.
You should compare the NES/Master System/Game Gear and Genesis/SNES

I also think that the SNES had better games, but Genesis is a really close call.

You're right Sonic Shadow ,but, the Sega Master system failed so hard in comparison with the NES that it isn't worth mentioning. Or maybe thats just me talking too much crap before even playing the damn thing.

I play the NES and other systems from it's era via emulators so my knowledge is limited.

The SMS had some pretty awesome games too, like both Sonics, Alexx Kidd (SP? =P), Dinamyte Dux, Tails Adventure... That's about it.

You're right Sonic Shadow ,but, the Sega Master system failed so hard in comparison with the NES that it isn't worth mentioning. Or maybe thats just me talking too much crap before even playing the damn thing.

I play the NES and other systems from it's era via emulators so my knowledge is limited.

I wouldn't say it isn't worth mentioning. There really were some cool games on it. The SMS is in fact techonologically superior to the NES in the graphics & sound department. However, it failed to sell well because of lack of third party developers at the time and because the NES already took the U.S. market by storm. However, the SMS did beat the NES in Europe. Brazil is also SMS & Genesis crazy... still. Considering the position SEGA was in at the time, they launched the Genesis at a good time. Pitting it against the NES before the Super NES even came to be (believe it or not, Nintendo wasn't even thinking about making a sequel console until the Genesis came onto the market and posed a threat) gave the more powerful console the key to third party developers. As for the Genesis library, everyone ought to try and dig through the fullset (provided you have one) and find those hidden gems. I found a bunch myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back