Suggestions

YwwBnvT.gif

You don't even have to thok, as MI said, a low jump is enough for most characters to clear it.

Yeah I tried it too and I can't see the issue either

Just give the jump button a quick gentle tap and with a running start you'll make it

It looks way more intimidating than it should be because we don't have any drop shadows in this game, so it's hard to get a good sense of perspective on what kind of jump you're supposed to make.

I think the real suggestion here is that we need drop shadows.

I'd like to suggest discussing "internally" the pros and cons of depleting rings while super at leveltime % TICRATE == 0 compared to (player->powers[pw_super] - 43) % TICRATE == 0.
(The "minus 43" is to take the transformation time into account, as at the moment (in 2.1), ring drain is deliberately ignored until the transformation is complete. Yes, 43 is a "magic number" here, but it's much prettier than adding together the durations of all the transformation states in-line... Also note that it may have to be one tic more or less to get or avoid a ring being drained immediately after the transformation is done, depending on what the intention is for that.)

It currently bases it on leveltime, which means one can have up to roughly 0.971 seconds (34 out of 35 of a second) more of super time, depending on whether one transforms to super on leveltime % TICRATE == 7 (drains ring 0 tics after transforming is finished) or 8 (drains ring 34 tics after transforming). (The timings here may be one tic too low or high, not quite sure.) From what I can tell, this can be an objective con about using leveltime.

However, basing it on player->powers[pw_super] will result in the ring counter going down at a different tic than the timer goes up, which may look annoying to some people, especially if it's 1-3 tics off. This may be a subjective con for some people. Though, Sonic 2, 3, & Knuckles on the Genesis/Mega Drive do it this way (according to two general play-through videos I just found), so that's another argument that could be used against leveltime.

Somewhere in P_DoSuperStuff:
Code:
        // Deplete one ring every second while super
        if (([U][I][B]leveltime[/B][/I][/U] % TICRATE == 0) && !(player->exiting))
        {
            player->health--;
            player->mo->health--;
        }

Somewhere in P_PlayerThink:
Code:
    //pw_super acts as a timer now
    if (player->powers[pw_super])
        player->powers[pw_super]++;
It may be a possibility to change the above to increment only when the transformation is done (but still keep it at 1 while transforming), so the "minus 43" thing isn't going to be needed, however I'm not sure how much other stuff doing that would mess with.

SRB2 should have objects that act like SA2's Demo cameras rather than the base game just using its bad demo cameras for all maps that are recorded for attract mode.
what may look good for the base game may not for a mod.

Demo Camera default should be the player camera from the time of recording. Demo cameras should trigger once the player character hits the radius (determined the same way as a Nights Track part)

I think the real suggestion here is that we need drop shadows.

Seconded.

IMO the lack of shadows is what make ERZ3 so difficult. I can't get a sense of "where" I am.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe allowing a little bit of control when rolling? Not a lot, just enough to slightly alter your momentum. The way it is, it feels uncomfortable and unnatural, at least to me. Just giving the player slight control over the angle you travel at would feel a little more natural.

Nnnnevermind -_-'

Last edited:
- The only other thing I can think of is maybe allowing a little bit of control when rolling? Not a lot, just enough to slightly alter your momentum. The way it is, it feels uncomfortable and unnatural, at least to me. Just giving the player slight control over the angle you travel at would feel a little more natural.
You already do have some control over rolling, though. It's easier to notice it when not rolling super fast, but it's definitely there when going fast, too.

Can you make it so that turning the camera can be controlled by triggers in analog mode? I'm running out of buttons on my DS4 to control Katmint's Rosy simply because I can not use the triggers for anything at the moment.

That actually brings up another point: we should probably change the way strafing works. I think partly the reason why the game feels so slippery to newcomers is that you can move full-speed in all directions when it's probably only intuitive to move full speed when pressing forward. I realize what I'm suggesting here fundamentally changes the way the game's played, but it could be worth it if it makes the game more intuitive for newcomers. The single player campaign isn't really designed around strafing anyway, so...

I'm not accounting for all variables here, but I thought I'd throw the idea on the table.

Last edited:
The single player campaign isn't really designed around strafing anyway, so...
Actually, turns out this is probably a lot more complicated than you think. It turns out that it is designed with strafe in mind, because the entire dev team uses strafe while playing. It's just not consciously designed with strafe in mind. This leads to massive problems when players try to play without it, as for the most part the game isn't tested without strafing and therefore massive difficulty spikes randomly show up because of that.

For 2.1 I actually made a conscious effort to make sure strafing wasn't required to beat the game. There are a lot of minor changes that got made to that end, because I wasn't sure how far down that rabbit hole we wanted to go. At this point I'm pretty sure that was a mistake, and instead of deleting strafing, we need to emphasize it as a basic movement key. We have a few ideas for this, but if you have more, by all means. Strafing is a huge part of what makes this game control so well, but when players aren't aware of how important it is, it's part of the reason SRB2's controls are so maligned by the Sonic fan game community at large.

Well, I'm not talking about just knowing what strafing is; actually controlling your strafing isn't completely intuitive either. It's probably less the fact that you can go full speed while strafing and more that you can change your momentum really fast that way. I think ideally there should be a curve where you keep your forward momentum the moment you press strafe, then your speed direction slowly biases toward the strafe direction.

But as for knowing that strafing is a thing, we just need to emphasize that SRB2 uses traditional FPS controls. Literally all you need to do is add a splash screen to the game startup which shows the WASD keys and the mouse, and that would immediately get the message across.

I think the Robotnik boss sprites should be scale a little bigger. Also, the title remix should be the default at the menu.

Last edited:
I think the Robotnik boss sprites should be scale a little bigger. Also, the title remix should be the default at the menu.

What do you mean by title remix? If you mean the credits music, that's actually a snip of the original music SRB2's theme itself was based on, the Sonic & Knuckles theme track from the Virtual Sonic music CD.

If/when a secrets checklist gets too big for one screen to handle, the screen should be able to scroll just like the one for emblem totals.
the screen already beeps like it can when using the arrow keys on it.

We're already planning on doing that because 2.2 will have a bigger secrets checklist than the current system can handle.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Back