SRB2DVD - Updated for 2.1.15!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see SRB2DVD expand to Match/CTF someday.
Problem is; as Mosaic Mario said, time travel in such maps would just make it so players are harder to find and fight in general, plus, I don't care about Ringslinger at all, and especially since 2.1 where it's borderline impossible to play a full match without a "tactical synch nuke".However, I can confirm you will be able to play Special Stages more... "competitively" using the competition mode with them in the next update-like thingy that will come with fixes of dumb leftovers of mine... hooray.

Last edited:
Like Timeflower Zone, can you recreate more zones with the time travel feature?

Due to SRB2's map size limitations it is not possible to do any other time travel maps as these will exceed the map limits (you need to have 4 copies of the same level in one map). It might be possible with the method I've mentioned earlier but it will cause lots of trouble in netgames and is also a headache to code I guess.

You could always make your own stages with the feature in mind. After all, the official SRB2 stages aren't really planned for having four copies of the level in a single map.

Hm. Just an idea, but how about making the stages change through linedefs? iirc there is a linedef that allows you to change textures, change sector height, and change flats, so, this could be used to not really send the player to another copy of the level, but ultimately change the level to be like a past present or future. You could make the linedefs be activated through the lua once 88 miles per hour is reached. Just an idea though, not a luaist so I wouldn't know much about it.

Hm. Just an idea, but how about making the stages change through linedefs? iirc there is a linedef that allows you to change textures, change sector height, and change flats, so, this could be used to not really send the player to another copy of the level, but ultimately change the level to be like a past present or future. You could make the linedefs be activated through the lua once 88 miles per hour is reached. Just an idea though, not a luaist so I wouldn't know much about it.
Then again you get the same issue than with level changing, it'd affect all players in a netgame. Time travel won't be a thing in vanilla, and I can't do anything about it.

As far as I can see this was the only way to make the map without other players triggering certain things or making other players proceed faster. And I know Lat wanted to prevent that beforehand. I don't blame him I would have made it the same way.

Also If you just change the textures and not the level layout it just makes it feel boring and plain as if you were playing the same level with recolored textures just slapped on it.

Last edited:
@deadpool well that's why I also included the sector height changing with the possible linedefs that could be used. Simply by changing floor and ceiling heights of sectors and fofs you could have a different level.

@lat ah, wasn't thinking of netgames, I can see where the problem with that would be.

ElementaryUnpleasantHorseshoebat.gif

thank you LJ!

Notes I gathered from playing this:

Special stages' bumper walls are too tall, making it difficult to see where your going and to jump over as Knuckles. Changing them to be half-tall (but same width, like the colored blocks in SRB2 Kart) should fix this. I also feel like some of the designs don't take full advantage of the three dimensions. Feels kinda flat at times. You did add some big towering platforms in some stages that require springs to get up to, but I'd imagine you could do more with it.

Timeflower Zone is a decent showcase of the technology, but it so needs a zone designed with it in mind to do the gimmick justice. All the time zones blend in together for me because there's not enough variation between them. I can't even remember if the Good Future did anything besides change the grass and remove the enemies. Looking at one screenshot of one zones' time periods in CD, they are very distinct with completely different graphics and music.

lNuLzEE.png

These screenshots are all from one zone!

Just my thoughts on this. c:
Tons of potential is here, it just need some expansion to the ideas. I'm actually thinking of making a level to do just that.

Last edited:
Hope you don't mind me taking a look at the time stone sprites.

soniccdstones.PNG

Did a cleanup on the sprite and applying the selected palette to them. Now since this palette is in use the time stone will change color depending on the stage.

Now for some screenshots of the emerald falling as well as showing other colors in the order that Sonic CD has. Some colors may be off or too light but it's the way it gets recolored due to the palette that the sprite uses. Can be fixed by altering the colors a bit.
timestonefalling.gif

timestonecolors.PNG

SKINCOLOR_???

1. NEONGREEN
2. ORANGE
3. YELLOW
4. BLUE
5. TEAL
6. PURPLE
7. RED
8. SILVER

The sprite used was from Graphicx8000 and I figure I see how it would fit in here. I know it isn't time stony enough since the pointy bits on the top & bottom were shaved off but eh.

Overall I enjoyed the Special Stages in this and it is a good recreation of them from Sonic CD. Haven't tried Time Flower yet but I'll get to it.

Last edited:
Oh, thanks! Yeah, they do look better than the actual ones I totally didn't steal on DeviantArt out of my usual lazyness.. This said, they aren't Time Stones either, due to the game always writing "CHAOS EMERALD" anyway, had to improvise and find CD styled emeralds on DA I just talked about.

Also the un-exact colors were completly intentional, can still change to the old CD scheme, though.

I hope you restore the unused title screen animations that i found on the wad's files thanks to slade. also it needs to disable the analog control automatically.

So, I entered the Special Stage Ring from Timeflower Future (I did not grab a Special Stage token either) and I got stuck here:

http://gfycat.com/DistinctSnarlingJaeger (I dunno how to make gifs work)

The music that played was also GFZ1's music instead of the Special Stage music (which played briefly before and after the timer started and ended).

...Thaaat's not supposed to even happen, did the map switch in the middle of a Time Travel?

I hope you restore the unused title screen animations that i found on the wad's files thanks to slade. also it needs to disable the analog control automatically.

Leaving the sprites in the wad was intended on purpose since the original title screen can't modify the speed of the sprites (or at least we can't find a way). What actually happened was the sprites was going faster than what we actually wanted, thus leaving it cut for now until we find a way to make it work.

And now that I noticed it the little blue pixels on top of sonic's head is bothering me now.

So, I entered the Special Stage Ring from Timeflower Future (I did not grab a Special Stage token either) and I got stuck here:

http://gfycat.com/DistinctSnarlingJaeger (I dunno how to make gifs work)

The music that played was also GFZ1's music instead of the Special Stage music (which played briefly before and after the timer started and ended).

You must have time traveled as lat said, though I find it strange it didn't say error on the console an teleport you to the last time post, but I guess since there aren't time post in special stages it just leaves you there teleporting you out of the sector.

Last edited:
Sadly no, I was playing by myself, so no one could have time travel occur. No other wads were added, either.

So I did noticed an error that makes the player go outside the sector but it might not relate so much to what Serenity101 is talking about. The error occured in singleplayer when I got a timepost for the future, I teleported to the future (The Bad Future) and I forced myelf to suicide but strangely enough after I respawned I was out of the sector and it forced me to die with the halls of mirrors glitch on the screen. I respawned again and it was fine.

I have a clip to show you what I mean.
Note: No wads were added at the time.
HandsomeScalyCopperhead.gif

If you do the same glitch in muiltiplayer you will be in present GFZ with the bad future skytexture.

I did the same thing again but with another custom level wad I made and the same result happened. I'm guessing that's what's Serenity101 is talking about. I don't know how no one noticed that before.

Last edited:
Due to the changes in 2.1.15, the big gold ring no longer appears over the signpost if you have 50 rings or more.

Yes I have been warned about that yesterday, it will be fixed along with cool additions for the next release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back