Edge's question topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

on Edge

Mint's idea wins. 'Neyway, I have some questions I'd like to ask, and think this is the best way to ask them.

1) What type of controll sectors cause lag?

2) Are there any states that can be used to gain elevation in Midair? A_BubleRise seems to only work underwater, and A_BunnyHop requires you to touch the ground, meaning things like detons will explode.

3) What's the difference bettween overpowered characters and good ones? For HMS and Tails, it's easy to tell, but what about Senku?

POINTS FOR USING MY NAME AND EPIC WIN FOR USING MY IDEA

1) I'm not sure about this, but to my knowledge, no specific control sector causes lag. If anything, FOFs probably will lag the map (especially if they're moving platforms). Of course, having the least amount of linedefs in your control sector (3) will probably help a bit, considering overdoing linedefs actually causes more lag. Sadly, some control sectors need more than 3 linedefs (usually if it has more than one tag requiring a linedef direction).

2) I suck at SOCs, so I don't know.

3) Overpowered characters are unbalanced, maxed out, and totally lopsided in stats. Usually a good character will have some sort of balance. Like, reducing speed but increasing jump height. If you think about that certain character's abilities, it should become clear to you. Let's use SRB2's characters for example. Sonic is fast, but can't fly or swim, or get out of places easily without some sort of support. He is also very hard to control. Tails can fly to any height (as long as he doesn't run out of "physical energy"), but is very slow, yet easy to control. Knuckles is at a medium speed, and can glide. He can grab onto most walls, and is fairly easy to control, thus making him the most well-balanced character.

Although non-overpowered characters DO have some sort of balance, a well-balanced character will probably have an average of all available stats.

Ok.....

What if I want to use A_Bublerise in and out of water? How much is the difference?

And Segmint, I kind-a understand, but kind-a don't.

First, SMS. He has worse handling than Sonic, his slingitem is slow, waying him down in FPS modes, he can't accelerate well, and he isn't totally maxed out. Homing and lightdash are disabled, and both are stereo-type overpowered "red flags."

Should he not be overpowered, than he'll still be classified as an ugly recolor with bad SOCs and overall desighn, but still...

And secondly, the character I plan to make with multi-doublejump, and multi glide. Double jumping uses rings. Overpowered? (Otherwize, though, his stats will be identicall to 1094 Sonic, with a lower Normallspeed, and run-on-water.)

Btw, you won't see any of him tell I can actually sprite, but I thought I'd through it out there.

On Edge, work on your spelling. It's truly painful to read you're posts sometimes.

Okay, so SMS is a crappy recolor. Although even though he might not be totally maxed out, he still has certain stats totally throwing him off of the whole character balance thing, making him more than what he should be.

About your character; if double jumping uses rings, it might not be TOO overpowering, but if it's multi-double jump, you could grab a handful of rings and reach higher than normal. But still, you'd need 410 rings to be able to reach up to 4096 anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem. As for multi glide, I'm not really sure.

You'd probably have to release it and get some responses before you can be sure if it's overpowered or not. I mean, if you take advice from a bunch of people rather than just one (ME), you're bound to have a better idea of what to do with it next.

(btw, spriting isn't hard once you get the hang of it)

SMS might have removed the homing and lightdash, but he added a flight script, which is even worse.

And the difference is exactly what it is with springs and stuff, A_BubbleRise isn't some special "Underwater" function, it behaves just fine above water.

I guess I'll post here and ask my dumb questions, instead of making a new topic about it...hope on Edge doesn't mind.

1)Does sector type 973 (trigger linedef- floor touch all players) still work in coop if there are three people playing, one dies, and the other two make it to the sector?

2)What the heck is thing type 51 used for (laser)

3)How do you change the sound from the mario thwomp block like in NSZ2?

4)Are you supposed to die if you jump against an crusher wall as it's going up?

that's it for now..any help is appreciated.

-.hack

Um, why can't you just make your own topic? I mean, this is Edge's topic to ask his OWN questions, not for everyone else to ask inside. Wouldn't that kill the point of having an "Editing Help" section?

Well..sorry, but if everyone made their own topic, then wouldn't the board get really cluttered up? That's just my thought...

Actually, the forum would be more organized. This way, if someone has any extra questions, they could go to their personalized topic and just post away.

For hack's questions since they didnt get answered anyways...
1. I believe so.
2. Not sure.
3. It's a sound file name to the thwomp sfx.
4. Collision bug.

Actually, Kayasakado, Doom Builder has outdated NiGHTS item stuff. Some things ARE used, but they have different names in SRB2 Doom Builder. I can't be sure if the function actually changed between when the DB config was wrote compared to SRB2DB, because they could've been named acording according to how they were programmed as opposed to how they were placed on a map.

AHEM. How do you quote the following properly in the AutoExec?

Code:
alias lol name sttttoned reeylhfe ba

Segmint said:
On Edge, work on your spelling. It's truly painful to read you're posts sometimes.
O, the irony!

FOFs are probably the laggiest special, I think. I've personally had some trouble with pulsating lights in certain levels, though.

Shuffle said:
Segmint said:
O, the irony!

FOFs are probably the laggiest special, I think. I've personally had some trouble with pulsating lights in certain levels, though.

THE WON MYSTAKE I MAKE, AND EVEROYNE NOTICES

But seriously, floating platforms with ANY block will cause lag, if overused in one area.

I'm sure you all know what a functioning pallet looks like. Whenever I upload a pallet to XWE, I get this:
PalleteIck.jpg

Here's an in-game screenie. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back