Super SRB2 Kart Z =NOT EXACTLY CANCELED=

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like this should at least be mentioned. So, for some reason my system's virus protection HATES SRB2Kart. At first when I would connect to the internet in anyway on it, it would be deleted as a virus threat. Of course I quickly fixed the constant annoyance by admitting it from scans in the future, it works fine now and I'm sure there are no viruses on it, but I feel this should be looked into as I have never had this problem with any other SRB2 mods. I don't care weather or not you do, just think It may be a good idea.

Aside from the fact that this is probably just a quirk of your virus software, you could have at least mentioned what virus software you're using. Your post is completely useless without that information.

Sorry, I was not sure if it was relevant or not, it's Norton. I believe its just it's quirk as well, its just that it has only happened with SRB2Kart, nothing else ever.

(Except Dry Dry Desert, which just needs to swap out the sandfall part with something)

This is the first time anyone as ever mentioned this, so I thought the better offroad fixed the problem. I'll re-adjust the course to make the top portion more helpful.

As for the removed levels, I was planning on making my own "Chrome Cup" anyway, this just gives me more reason to.

Now to ask a question that may have already been asked but I don't feel like checking.

Are you going to make AI? Y'know, CPU's? Just wondering...I was thinking Chaos Zero 64 was gonna do it, but...

I asked in the Riders thread about this, but that was way before this showed up.

I'd suggest making Lakitu follow the player's vertical position at the start of a race, as making a level start on a rising platform makes him go right through it. Another problem with him is that slipping on a banana peel just before finishing a race makes him spin along with you in the air, which is rather silly.
(Also, what's a doUnut?)

When SRB21.1 comes out, we could use ghosts as temporary makeshift bots at least, in theory anyway, since players don't collide with one-another in the first place anyway. You could probably then just put some item AI in, but IDK how you'd handle bots getting interrupted by items though. Another thought is that you could use multiple ghosts (or even our current replays) to calculate a path for bots, but that'd be harder to pull off.

Last edited:
This is the first time anyone as ever mentioned this, so I thought the better offroad fixed the problem. I'll re-adjust the course to make the top portion more helpful.

To be honest, I never thought too much about it until it turned up into discussion. Otherwise, I would have noted it.

Are you going to make AI? Y'know, CPU's? Just wondering...I was thinking Chaos Zero 64 was gonna do it, but...

Keep dreaming, it's not happening. ZarroTsu did a good job s far... for someone with very little knowledge of code, but he's certainly not going to whip up bots anytime soon. The only reason Riders' bots worked in 1.09 is because they were so simple (turn, boost, jump), and drifting wasn't even in 1.09. 2.0 Aded drifting for Riders, and for Kart, there's the matter of things like items. I doubt ZarroTsu is up to the task.

I'd suggest making Lakitu follow the player's vertical position at the start of a race, as making a level start on a rising platform makes him go right through it. Another problem with him is that slipping on a banana peel just before finishing a race makes him spin along with you in the air, which is rather silly.
(Also, what's a doUnut?)

Lakitu's movements are a simple capechase, but there are probably good technical reasons why he won't follow you. Mainly, he has to drop from above the screen, something I doubt is easily done with SOCs. Knowing CZ64, he probably hardcoded it. It might be fixable, but I'm not too sure. This also explains why Lakitu spins with you: he always is in front of you, and spinning does indeed flip your direction. It's not so much Lakitu's problem as it is the banana, but I doubt that'll be fixed.

When SRB21.1 comes out, we could use ghosts as temporary makeshift bots at least, in theory anyway, since players don't collide with one-another in the first place anyway. You could probably then just put some item AI in, but IDK how you'd handle bots getting interrupted by items though.

Ghosts are direct replications of what the players do, so:

1: They would need to be made for every single character, as they are all different, barring Knux sharing stats with Eggman... for some reason.
2: Items would mess them up HARD.

Though, having some Staff Ghosts wouldn't be out of the question... if Time Attack is re-added and fixed so Checkpoints work.

Last edited:
The only reason Riders' bots worked in 1.09 is because they were so simple (turn, boost, jump), and drifting wasn't even in 1.09. 2.0 Added drifting
Except that in every Mario kart game in existance has always had CPUs manually turn without drifting perfectly fine. Which nobody has found to be a problem for 20 years. So, I assume coding bots for kart would require a minor edit to the riders bots (which are still in the mod, only disabled).

1: They would need to be made for every single character, as they are all different, barring Knux sharing stats with Eggman... for some reason.
2: Items would mess them up HARD.
Except that in every Mario Kart game in existance has always had CPUs go at fixed speeds rather than what they do when they're actually being controlled by human players. Actually, Mario Kart games pick 2 CPU players at random (the old games depending on who you play) to keep up with you automatically depending on what place you're in. Like Super Circuit and Mario Kart 64's code, CPU's could randomly spawn items within a certain amount of tics after they hit an item box. The item would depend on their place, and they only use it when in radius of a HUMAN player. They also aim in the direction of the player.

Last edited:
But incase you haven't noticed, the AI is nigh nonexistent: They follow waypoints and that's about it. ZarroTsu would have to do almost ALL the work himself. He's not a magic programming genie you know. Even SRB2CB bots don't know how to use weapons.

Anyways, two things:

1: Sonic's new sprites were updated! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7986587/SonicNewPipeFrame.wad

jaJUk.png

Changes were made to front and back sprites, while all sprites have gained pitch black colors over the darkest color, and squash sprites were redone.

2: Blaze got new sprites too! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7986587/BlazeNewPipeFrame.wad

qZEVE.png

Made By Hinote/BlazeCake, Blaze finally receives that update she really REALLY needed. No more hideous color change sideburns! Dr. Pepper's sprites were going to be used, but it... REALLY didn't turn out well. At all. Do note that this wad does not replace Blaze, its a separate character... for now.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was not sure if it was relevant or not, it's Norton. I believe its just it's quirk as well, its just that it has only happened with SRB2Kart, nothing else ever.
If it's Norton 360, right click the EXE, click Norton File Insight from the dropdown menu, then click "Trust Now". This may work for other Norton products. I'm sure it works for Norton 360 though.

Keep dreaming, it's not happening. ZarroTsu did a good job s far... for someone with very little knowledge of code, but he's certainly not going to whip up bots anytime soon. The only reason Riders' bots worked in 1.09 is because they were so simple (turn, boost, jump), and drifting wasn't even in 1.09. 2.0 Aded drifting for Riders, and for Kart, there's the matter of things like items. I doubt ZarroTsu is up to the task.

I don't know about everyone else, but I really wouldn't mind if the bots were just as simple. To be blunt I just want bots. Bots that can drive around the designated course, use items when they get them (I wouldn't even mind not having that), and respawn when they die. Pretty much the required stuff. That shouldn't be too hard, right? And like I said, I can wait.

New sprites and stuff

Hate to stop you mid flow, but after seeing Metal Sonic's sprites, I noticed that each character having their own type of Kart would be much more interesting. (Like Sonic Drift or something.) I know it probably won't happen, and I don't really have the time (or spriting prowess) to get it done. But it would be pretty cool to see.

On a side note, the checkpoint next to the bridge in Delfino Square has the wrong flag set. Falling off there as it is now can pretty much kill the race for you.

As for AI, why don't we pull a MK7 when 2.1 comes out with ghost races. It could be the singleplayer mode, having various people using different characters on each track race, save a ghost, and add it to the exe or something. (I have no idea how the ghost thing works) That way, you can at least race against 7 ghosts, even if you won't be able to use any items.

Last edited:
I too like the idea of each character having their own kart, which is why I threw KO into a tank and not a normal kart. (And because I thought it would be funny to make a old tank race against karts)

The default characters have already been decided to all have Pipe Frames, and the new Pipe Frame when I'm done with it.
I hope this topic doesn't come up again, ZarroTsu added wad support for a REASON.

Last edited:
Hate to stop you mid flow, but after seeing Metal Sonic's sprites, I noticed that each character having their own type of Kart would be much more interesting. (Like Sonic Drift or something.) I know it probably won't happen, and I don't really have the time (or spriting prowess) to get it done. But it would be pretty cool to see.

Iceman404, our major sprite source, is quite sour towards the idea, believing it to be "fucking retarded", so he won't be making them. If any characters are getting their own karts, it'll most likely be from additional characters instead. The current kart, the Pipe Frame, should be considered the standard. As a result, everyone uses the Pipe Frame in the default character roster (unless Eggman has something to say about it).

And the Delfino Plaza bug shall be fixed.

Also, I will be remaking the items this weekend. My old sprites now look obsolete in my eyes. They will be a bit smaller, notably shells and banana peels.

PipeSpeedway2.png

PipeSpeedway4.png

Here is the revamped Pipe Speedway, which should be in the next version of SRB2 Kart. Features a size increase and more detail. The tar has also been replaced with oil, though it currently does nothing. (Go add spinout sectors Zarro :<)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back