Skybound Rapids 1 (sc_SRZ1b6.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblahbal

Act 3 FTW!!
Hello all, this is the first act in the third zone of Mystical Heavens. It may have a few glitches in it, but I haven't run into any yet. If you find one, please let me know.

Oh, by the way, it's MAP05.

Here're a few screenshots:
wvv1p0.jpg

2hgg687.jpg

idvlaw.jpg

Attachments

• sc_SRZ1b6.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 567
Last edited:
Well, this level works, but isn't all that good. I had a hard time figuring out exactly where to go which was kind of strange since the level looked like it had no openness. Speaking of, you need to open up some of the areas so it doesn't feel like you are just running through hallways throughout the entire level.

Ok, thanks. I'm going to work on this on Monday, so I'll fix that then. And it's meant to be a little confusing, if that's what you're getting at.

And it's meant to be a little confusing, if that's what you're getting at.
It shouldn't be. Even if you're aiming for it, it's not really fun. There are several spots where two paths merge and you don't know which goes back and which forth.

That being said, this level pretty much consists of running forward and taking a spring when there is one. The player doesn't have anything to do apart from that short platforming sequence.

Seriously, I meant it when I said I need to know which water texture would look better in this level. Seriously. Also, it'd be nice if somebody'd actually give me some suggestions.

Use Find/Replace, try all the options, and figure it out yourself. That's how the rest of us do it.

Some of the water blocks are opaque and others are translucent. Make it consistent. I think BWATER01 is a better flat for them. Most of the water blocks have sides, causing graphical errors when going from one Sector to the one next to it. Where the ground falls, the water has a rocky flat (when it should be a waterfall), and several areas don't have a colormap applied.
Overall, as the others said, it's too flat. It's possible to get lost (I went on the upper, middle path and wound up going in circles. It's hallway after hallway, simply jumping when it's needed or taking a Spring. There were no gimmicks and points of interest, and the Elemental Shield removes all the challenge (as the enemies underwater aren't a threat).
The scenery is really bland. It's random scenery Things thrown everywhere.
It's cramped, for the most part, but gets far too open near the end of the level. Especially considering that it's all empty space, it feels barren near the end.
There's multiple paths, but they branch together sorta quickly and none of them are interesting to warrant another playthrough in the first place. Other than the Elemental Shield, I don't remember seeing any bonuses.

3.8/10

This level has a good start, but it needs a lot of work. When I played the level, it looked like blue was the only color I saw. Just about everything was blue. The whole level felt the same, too, with no change in gameplay or graphics. Speaking of gameplay, I ended up going around in circles several times only to find out I was going the wrong direction. If you're going to have multiple paths, make sure that when the paths merge, have players know where to go.

As for the water, try to make the surface texture more noticeable as I didn't know whether I was underwater or not. Also, be consistent with the colormap for every body of water. I noticed that some bodies of water had one colormap and others had a different colormap.

Overall, This map has some potential. It just needs a lot of work. Score: 5/10 (Would have been a 6 if it was a little tougher. It's a little too easy and too short for a third zone.)

Okay, bro, this level needs some work. First, like SpiritCrusher said, it shouldn't be confusing. Second, it needs more floor variation. A lot more. It also should have more water, as the level is a water level. Third, it needs a slight bit more rings in certain places. Should have some more FOFs here and there, an the single spikes at the end should be fleshed out a bit, so there're more of them in each section. And I agree with JFG107 on the shortness and easiness part; it needs to be longer and a little harder. Fourth and last, this level needs more enemies. All in all, about a 5.5/10.

Right, I think it's time I give my feedback with this stage.

First of all, the level design is fairly flat & linear in some areas. The paths are cramped and because they are quite a few in a small area, this can result in confusing the player and getting them lost. You also have water where they don't have a water flat when they should and some do, but you need to apply them to all sectors which use water. The elemental shield ruins the challenge so that should be removed. and also the scenery is fairly bland in some places and not in others, but it's kind of messy so it needs a bit of tidying up.

The only thing I liked in the level is the types of textures used near the end with the blue rocks & the white texture which I think suits well.

Whilst you are getting better slowly, you have a lot of work to do before it can reach it's potential.

3/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back