Race Stage: Techno Castle Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyro the Magma Fox

Totally not using Hydreigon
This is the first race level I ever made!

This stage is set in a castle room with NO DOORS OUT! The only way out is to race out.

People like Ronic and Fuzz have tried this out before and believe me, they think this is hard as well.

SCREENSHOTS:

srb20030.png

srb20029.png

srb20028.png

srb20027.png

srb20025.png

srb20024.png

srb20023.png

srb20022.png

srb20021.png

srb20020.png

srb20031.png

PLUS My first custom object! Statues of my arch-enemy Dirge the Dominator!

srb20026.png

NOTE: This stage was initially a remake of Super Mario Kart's Bowser's Castle 3, but has been modified.

NOTE 2: If you want to, you can rate and review this wad file.

Stuff added:

V2

Conveyer-Speed-Changing Buttons
A part on top of the castle
My first object!
Techno CRUSHERS!!!
Some launching cannons

CREDITS:

Monster Iestyn - For his Example on how to change speed of conveyer belts using buttons

Dr.Pepper - For original TailsRE sprites

Attachments

• r_technocastle_v2.zip
    95.2 KB · Views: 853
  • r_technocastle.zip
    40.2 KB · Views: 637
Last edited:
This map technically meets the criteria to be accepted because it is fully functional and playable but there are still a lot of things wrong with your map that can be improved.

Ports of stages from other games very rarely, if ever, work in SRB2 and this map suffers greatly for it.

With this in mind, your texture use here is nothing short of hideous. If you want to place the stage in an enclosed area like this, I would suggest using larger textures with patterns that are still visually appealing at a distance, for example the walls in Sapphire Falls.

With regards to how the stage actually plays, the long empty pathways are not ideal and encourage mindless thokking. But there is an interesting dynamic with how the blue springs can be used to get a lot of distance with one thok, while also trying to avoid throwing yourself into the pit. You may also want to make your starpost sectors a little wider.

In closing, I would very strongly suggest creating original maps in future, instead of trying to port maps from other games. A map made specifically for SRB2 and designed around the mechanics of the game will play much better than a map designed for another game entirely.

I'm going to have to give this map a 7/10. It's a good map and all, but the racing part of the stage is really cramped.

The Blue Springs after the second Star Post serve no purpose but to make you fly into the pit after thokking on it.

Since there's no invisible sector, Tails and Knuckles players are more bound to clear this rage stage with ease.

The level was nothing but a complete thokfest.

Also, I'm going to have to agree with Whackjood on the ports. Ports of tracks from racing video games are rarely played these days and people are more focused on creating original levels.

My point is; you made a good level and I hope to play some more of your levels soon.

I give this WAD a 4/10. This is OK but it's extremely bland. The textures you used here look extremely ugly. That and it's an extreme thokfest (like almost every other race level made for SRB2).

I agree with all the texture critiques. Either this map should be outside or you need a bigger texture. Secondly, it's entirely too flat. Try putting some variation in the terrain. Thirdly, It's all gray. Floors, walls and background get all mashed up together, making it hard to see the track. I like the overall flow of the track. You have some fun twists and turns. I also enjoyed the springs. However, maybe try using a more powerful spring to send racers across wider gaps they can't jump over. 4/10. It makes a good beta. Lets see what else you can do!

Thanks Sparkz! I am working on a better version as we speak!

---------- Post added at 03:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 AM ----------

Oh, and this is my first race stage, and I never thought it would make it anyway, but I was sure the improvement I am working on might! lol

Just out of curiosity; why would you make a normal racing map based on a Mario Kart track when you could of made one for SRB2Kart? A Mario Kart level just wouldn't work as well on foot.

Thanks! I am adding new version now!

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------

Ports of stages from other games very rarely, if ever, work in SRB2 and this map suffers greatly for it.
Yeah, take a look at SWU.wad for a good example of bad porting.

This map is a good track just a total thokfest. If you had made it for Srb2 kart instead it might have turned out better. But then the textures I really think you should change the massive animated floor for a few reasons. First it hurts your eyes second it is slightly distracting and third it is very bright and flashy. 3/10

This map is okay but I can't find the checkpoints, make the checkpoint sectors bigger please because I can't finish one lap of this due to the always missing a checkpoint.
EDIT:Never mind just make the rising platform that takes you through easier to find, I had a lot of trouble finding it.

Last edited:
Version 3 Updates!

Stage will be slightly reformatted and renamed to Metal Courtyard Zone!

Some 'Techno' will be removed.

Top Layer to be made by floating FOFs above main stage.

Music will be changed to Mystic Realm Zone music

I played you 2nd version, Pyro. I like the direction it's going but you still have to do something about all those grey textures. The teleportation is cool but why do you have 2 star posts so close to each other? In my opinion, one of those would serve the racers far better if it were right at the start of that U turn. (the first major turn on the roof of the castle.) I'm happy to say that I didn't live to complete the course on my first try. You've definitely made it more interesting!

Thanks! The first version has been reviewed and a couple have said about making it a KART level. I am almost done with that! ;-)

Lava, you know this level has had bad reviews before and I am still working on Version 3 (Delayed because of making Mario Kart version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back