Red House (REDXVI's house zone!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice

Pretty chill guy
Hello everyone!
This was my entry for the OLDC (can't remember which one D:), and I've decided to put it in releases, mainly because:

I wish more contest entrants would put their stuff in releases afterwards. Pretty much nobody releases stuff outside of the contest these days, so we're otherwise left with little that can be easily accessed or discussed.

So yeah. This level is what happens when I try to get productive with my dusty unfinished-levels folder. I knew I'd never finish any of the levels individually, so I pasted them all together as one level, and gave it a stupid mini-storyline for some coherency. I've tweaked a couple of things here and there, altered some level geometry, made the level transitions a little less jarring (I hope), but all-in-all nothing too major. If you didn't like the level in the contest, you probably won't like it here.

The level itself did alright in the contest. It averaged around a 6 (I think) so just slightly above average. Not my best work, but I'm still proud of it.

Regardless, there's a lot of work put into here, and it's actually quite fun when you try to speedrun it. Personally, my best time so far is 2:30. See if you can beat it!
Screenshots and the download link:

View attachment 3056

srb20004.png

srb20005.png

srb20006.png

srb20008.png

Feel free to leave comments/criticisms/praise!

Attachments

• s_redhouse.rar
    350.6 KB · Views: 880
Last edited:
Well, that was a fun little romp. I appreciate the new additions, though I'm left wondering if the new intro cutscene might be causing GFZ1's music to fail to loop later...

Not that I've seen such a bug before or taken any steps at all to determine that this would be the why it fails to loop, but that's just my gut feeling.

The level is awesome and very cool but i see two easter eggs:

* The GFZ Music stop loop at a random sector (Possibility made by the intro cutscene)
* The library room need to fix because some textures is missing

The level is awesome and very cool but i see two easter eggs:

* The GFZ Music stop loop at a random sector (Possibility made by the intro cutscene)
* The library room need to fix because some textures is missing

If you could take screenshots of the glitched area(s?), that would be wonderful!

The map works perfectly fine for coop besides the obvious Poly object library room. You should just provide an alternate path really, that thing even screws up in SP sometimes.

I take the screenshots for the glitchs
Look at this

Attachments

• srb20087.jpg
    srb20087.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 820
  • srb20088.jpg
    srb20088.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 792
  • srb20089.jpg
    srb20089.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 583
Hmm. I don't know how to fix the first glitch, especially since that sector doesn't have any flags or tags or anything special. Also, the visual glitches with the bookcases aren't a result of missing textures or anything that I can really fix like that. They're just SRB2 being glitchy :P
If anyone knows how to fix this, however, that would be grand.

Also, an alternate path around it makes sense, but meh. I have no drive to add anything else to this map aside from any easily-fixable bugs.

If you are willing to give me permission, I would be happy to look into your problems. Although it might take me some time since I have school.

Is there a way to make the book cases just stay open after opened once then, rather than closing?

^ Umm, perhaps. Honestly, it's been so long since I setup those polyobjects, I have no clue how they work anymore.

If you are willing to give me permission, I would be happy to look into your problems. Although it might take me some time since I have school.

Feel free to fix any problems you find. Less work for me! :D

That is most likely a simple SOC change if you want them to stay open, just by guessing anyway. But I don't know much about soccing so I can't help with that part.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

Feel free to fix any problems you find. Less work for me! :D
I'll get to work as soon as I have time to, thanks again!

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

Quick review I made this morning, just wanted it here while I could still add it.

Pros:
Good level design
creative mini-story
good separation, and good mixture of badniks
good choices in music (in my opinion)

Cons:
A few bugs:
-moving bookshelves are missing textures
-if you wait too long in the library area you will be trapped
some items have poor atomomy:
-Oversized Tables, Beds, & etc.
-I won't rant about it, I'm just picky. XD

My Rating: 9 out of 10

Last edited:
I don't really mind the music stops. I just put tunes 01. The layout is very good. Nice and detailed. Espacially the inside of the house. I loved Red XVI at the end, trying to build a new house. However, at the boss, why did you make it you had to destory that little turrent? Also, I am not sure if I should ask this here, but how do you get the camera angles and the csay to make a basic storyline? I loved that part.

The Csay and camara angles are in scripts and I think the camara angles also have spots on the map layout to tell them where to go (I never looked in to these), like what SF94-serv uses.

Anyway, Ice I have a couple of questions about the map because I tried quite a number of things with no luck so far.
1. Are you using any custom FOF's or SOC's?
2. Do you think there is a way to keep the book shelves open after the first
time? (simular to the gates of rainstorm keep maybe?)

The wierdest part I see is that for the last 2 bookshelves it only messes up when you are at a certain spot, and the first bookshelf is just plain missing the back no matter where you look at it from. I am still experimenting with this, and I also saw that you forced a 3D doom builder start in the general area of the music problems, I removed it but haven't tested that yet (too focused on the bookshelves) I'll be back later with more updates.

I dunno dude, but I'm pretty confident in my time record.

srb20009.png

Turns out Sonic can thok through the left side of the fence around the outside of the house.

That glitch was there in the OLDC version too and hasn't been fixed so either I'm assuming it was intended but forgotten about, or it was overlooked and the glitch remained.

I'm assuming it was intended but forgotten about, or it was overlooked and the glitch remained.

False. I'm aware of it, I actually just don't know how to fix it :P

It seems this level has a knack for exposing confusing SRB2 glitches.

That issue can be resolved easily by making that tiny sector that contains the invisible fof much larger, and also giving the in level sector a no-climb flag so Knuckles can't climb on thin air.

Alright, I have a laptop now, so I'm back on the mb for now as well. Anyway progress, unfortunately on the bookcase problem, I have no progress, but I do know what will not work. Luckily though I think I shrunk the music problem down the the waterfall area only, as far as my testing has shown, which might be a result of he waterfall noise conflicting with the music or something. also fixed a few texture errors in a couple of area's. Would you like me to E-mail you this Ice, or should I put a public link here?

That issue can be resolved easily by making that tiny sector that contains the invisible fof much larger, and also giving the in level sector a no-climb flag so Knuckles can't climb on thin air.

Do you think that doing this to the bookshelf fof's would have the same effect, or is this only for invisible fof's?

Last edited:
A larger sector will not fix the bookshelves, as they are polyobjects. I don't know what issue about the bookshelves you are trying to fix, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back