Is SRB2 Making My Computer Crash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firework917

Wizard 1.0 is SRB3!
So I've been playing SRB2 for 2 months now, and it is a good game, but I'm starting to have a problem. Sometimes, I can be playing the game completely fine, and then my computer will crash giving the error WORKER_INVALID. I ignored it the first time, but the more I play it the more it happens. I finally looked it up and websites say it's one of the worst errors you can get, but there is a fake one usually caused by bad programming. It sometimes happens offline, but it happens more often in Netplay. It's getting to the point where my computer will crash 5 times in 3 weeks. For some reason, any time I put SRB2 on a USB, Windows reports a problem with the USB as well. The one time I allowed it to fix problems, It left SRB2 as File Extension 'file' and as a 8 kb file. I was lucky I had a backup on a friend's laptop.

Other Info:
I have a Windows 8.1 laptop, it is x86, has HDMI and an Intel Pentium.
I got it 2-3 years ago.

So, is SRB2 causing my computer to crash? If so, how can I fix it? If not, what's happening?

Thanks for reading this.

Does this error happen when using other programs or even another OS? Are you sure it's because of SRB2?
It may be caused by many factors:

• lack of voltage - check if you have enough power for your devices, especially for GPU and motherboard.
  • Not enough RAM, out of memory. You can increase swap file size (pagefile.sys) in Windows to prevent this though, but performance may be slow.
  • Incompatible device. I cannot say much about it, it depends on everything. For example, OpenGL is not supported by older GPUs, so SRB2 just lags a lot or crashes on startup.
  • Unsuitable driver.
  • RAM, HDD malfunction. You can try to use different random-access memory devices to check if it would solve your problem.
  • Invalid configuration of BIOS. You can reset your BIOS settings to safe defaults.
In my experience I can say that running the same program on fresh install of Windows or even on other OS (using Wine or native build of SRB2) may lead to conclusion that it's your problem with your currently installed OS. Anyway, try different solutions to check what causes this error.

I have gotten other crashes before, but I've only gotten WORKER_INVALID when playing SRB2. Remember that Blue Screens happen when Windows is given a command it can't follow, so it flips out and shuts itself off. Don't worry, I'll try the other options anyway.

Last edited:
How long's it been since you did a full sweep for viruses and the like? I always scan first when a machine is crashy. I recommend a full scan with the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (of course, if you want to buy the full version, go ahead; the free version, though, will do you fine). In all my years of repair services I've never had something get past it.

I have Webroot, which auto checks everything I download and scans the system every 4 hours, so I have nothing. Or rather, nothing it has found yet.

Remember that Blue Screens happen when Windows is given a command it can't follow, so it flips out and shuts itself off.
No, BSODs occur when the kernel encounters a fatal error that it cannot safely recover from; programs in user memory cannot possibly tamper with the operating system enough to cause one directly. It is infinitely more likely that your drivers, or possibly your hardware, is at fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back