SRB2MFE: Mostly-Fixed Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 400% scale, your character starts disappearing from the right. Matt might have fixed this along with the disappearance from the left thing, but I haven't bothered yet. In OpenGL mode, this wouldn't be an issue, of course...

OpenGL sucks and is generally ugly. The only upside is that it actually uses your GPU.

I mean, you're going to play with hardware acceleration, and then you're stuck with a 256 color palette? Pick a direction and stick with it, don't fork all around.

(I am working on a palette)

That and OpenGL is free from many random graphical errors that occur as a result of poor plane sorting, large areas, seemingly sheer randomness, or attempting to look up/down in software mode. And I'm pretty sure I can get the new postprocessing effects to work with it anyway, and maybe make the filtering modes stop filtering GUI elements (and making all those stupid fuzzy edges) or something, though Nearest is still my favorite.

Well, get rid of billboarding, split the player polygon so he can be in and out of water at the same time, implement fades, give the player a light source, make the skies render correctly, code in the new effects such as flat rippling and heat distortions, and add slopes and slope physics. Then we'll talk. :)

Perhaps you can also find another way to implement OpenGL polyobjects apart from my godawful hack.

In the current codebase, I replaced the entire stack of line copy garbage (Not sure where my mind was when I did that block. "Yuck" is right.) with a memcpy() after realizing that I was taking the sizeof() a pointer instead of the actual seg. Not my finest moment. At least 2.0.5 has this stupidity fixed.

Apart from that, the fact that I have to leave polyobject lines out of the initial vertex solving and convert them every frame they're drawn could probably be done a lot better. Granted, they appear in-game fine, but I'm sure the implementation could be done more cleanly.

Last edited:
OpenGL sucks and is generally ugly. The only upside is that it actually uses your GPU.

And that's a quite good upside. I'd much rather use OpenGL than Software, considering all the advantages, and lack of crappy visual glitches, random lag spurts, and so on. Plus, gr_filtermode <filter> is FTW. =P

Really now, though, if OpenGL IS fixable...

Well, get rid of billboarding, split the player polygon so he can be in and out of water at the same time, implement fades, give the player a light source, make the skies render correctly, code in the new effects such as flat rippling and heat distortions, and add slopes and slope physics. Then we'll talk. :)
I actually did most of those in SRB2JTE, but it lagged like ... badly. The whole implementation of it was wrong. I'm much better at OpenGL now.

While I'm not happy that this can't be built on anything other than Windows, I support it nonetheless. Hopefully the issues can be sorted, JTE. =)

I think you know this, but I want to make sure. When I use analog mode in ERZ1, the camera fix makes the player stop dead and turns the camera around in the area with a bunch of crushers in the left path.

I use analog mode in ERZ1, the camera fix makes the player stop dead and turns the camera around in the area with a bunch of crushers in the left path.
Could not reproduce, although the camera does reset to funny angles in analog mode.

Maybe because I hold forward and it resetting to funny angles that it thinks that it is going the other direction. Or maybe it was just a reaction to the camera suddenly shifting.

Either way, the funny angles should be fixed.

When you're scaled, and your sprite is beyond the top of the screen, it always tries to draw the first vertical non-transparent pixel as if it were the first pixel vertically visible on the screen, even if said pixel is supposed to be cropped by the top border... it's hard to explain, but it's easy enough to see in the game.

And huge Knuckles has a hard time grabbing onto things. :<

I know that sprite error, it is the squashing bug. :3 I think it has something to do with the way "hires" mode is handled, it seems to disable something in order to properly scale, but ...

Also, large Knuckles has a hard time grabbing things due to his corners. Something there about the climbing radius isn't being scaled up or something either, yes. I don't want to look into it more right now, Knuckles' character ability in general is a big mess all over the place...

... ... ...

Next version I have the flat alignment angle special (linedef type 7?) fixed to render properly at any angle (no more strange scrolling) but I really want to move on to making things now, enough bugs have been fixed for the game to be decent again... @_@;; Get these ideas out of my heaad...

Nice work JTE, I like the new colors (lol Junk and HMS123), but theres also a bug with Knuckles at 5 scale, pressing the up button will cause Knuckles to climb down, and down will cause him to climb up.

No. That's a bug with regular SRB2. Most commonly seen in ERZ3 as Knuckles.

That may be so, but, like I explained, it also happens with Knuckles at 5 scale. You can look for it yourself by going to ACZ for example using scale 5 and climbing a wall.

Also, here are some pics about the scaling:

ezjyf5.png

Knuckles at 5 scale gliding at full speed. (The little red dot in the middle)

24y1bo2.png

ERZ3 with normal scale like in the normal levels (100). This is the true size of Black Eggman. He's really about as big as Sonic, Tails and Knuckles himself.

Last edited:
Knuckles at 5 scale, pressing the up button will cause Knuckles to climb down, and down will cause him to climb up.
I know. The variable probably wraps around or something silly like that. You's not s'posed to be at 5 scale for anything but prettyness anyway, really. (All these complaints about it are the reason it was locked at 25 minimum 250 maximum, of course.)

What happened to Dark Red? I figured you'd add that color since you're JTE and all.

How did you achive the HMS colormap, how can I use it, and is it possible to make some colors invisible? (Me is thinking of making 2 versions of Nomekop...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back