Level Design Contest Voting: November/December 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Death Egg Zone, act 2, by Blade T. Hedgehog: 9/10
Another great level over here. I liked the use of the asset pack textures, and I liked most of the gimmicks. However you could have given us a hint on what the colours for the platforms/walls meant, rather than having to figure it out ourselves by falling through a red platform. The game also crashed after I completed the map. =/

I didn't use the asset package. The textures were made by me.

Blade said:
Death Egg Zone, act 2, by Blade T. Hedgehog: 9/10
Another great level over here. I liked the use of the asset pack textures, and I liked most of the gimmicks. However you could have given us a hint on what the colours for the platforms/walls meant, rather than having to figure it out ourselves by falling through a red platform. The game also crashed after I completed the map. =/

I didn't use the asset package. The textures were made by me.

Oops... sorry about that. Some of them looked like the asset package textures.

Well, it's about time I got round to judging these, so, here we go!

(I'm judging each level immediatly after I play it, while it is still fresh in my mind :)

Elven Peaks Zone 6/10

-For the better part of the time I spent playing this, I enjoyed it. There were a few things that really let the level down, however.

-The start was quite cramped. Not much of a biggy, but no-one likes to start a level with a space-less box and a tunnel.

-The choice of music was nice, but could have been better. A repetative tune like the continue screen gets annoying.

-The corridor after the second checkpoint was bland. Could have been better. In some cases, checkpoint sectors would be a good idea.

-Nice level length, and had a good ending.

Adventure Island Zone2/10

-Urgh. That was not fun. Had nice gimmicks, but the level was boring, glitchy and 'everyonehatesadventuremodekthxbai' Sonic is about speed, flow and fun. This level had 0/3 of those.

Fail.

Blown Fuse Zone 9/10

-That was the best 2D level I have ever played. It had detail, gimmicks, cool music. It was everything a level needs, jammed into 2D. The only reason it wouldn't have got a ten is because of the repeat of small, jump from platform to platform parts. Perhaps try and variate your play a little more, as sonic does need speed!

Hydro Plant Zone6/10

-In this review, I am going to ignore the custom stuff (Bar music), as they do not affect the playabilty of the level.

-To be fair, I enjoyed most of this. It was long, which is good, since (Yes, I'm hypocritical) I prefer long levels to short ones. The music was cool. But, you fall victim to PAFCI (Put a freakin' colormap in!) on your water. Also, I've never seen glass that is that seethrough. You must have a bloody good window cleaner at that plant.

The End of Year Nights Zone, Or years end nights, or something 7/10

-I loved it, the level was well executed, had good atmosphere and was fun to play (Thats a key thing in levels) The level, I felt, lacked in detail. I liked the clock, although, setting it to Midnight would be more appropriate. That leaves a nice scope for applauses etc...

Keep up the good work, as I enjoyed this very much!

Aquatic Labyrinth Zone10/10

Wow, just wow.

I have never played a better Single Player match map in my life. To list everything I liked about it would fill up a 752 page book. Apart from a few colormap issues, this level had everything.
The gimmicks were AMAZING! Lots of those would take me years to think up. The music fitted, the gargoyles were cool. I think it would not only be wrong to give you anything less than a 10, but I think it would also be wrong to not immediatly end the contest and make Kuja the winner. Well, maybe not.

In my opinion, I would deem Kuja the best level designer on this forum. Your level has inspired me, as I'm sure it has inspired us all.

Well done.

Death Egg Zone 9/10

-Loved it. This was a brilliant level. I can see that alot of time, thought and effort has gone into producing this.
This is obviously custom music month xP
The only reason this didn't get a 10 is because of the teleporters. Sorry, but the level would be better without them.

Amazing level otherwise, keep it up!

Forever Forest Act 2 8/10

As with your first act of this zone, your persistance, carefulness and eye for detail astonishes me. What really stopped me from setting the grade higher was the simple lack of robots. Okay, the level was a challenge in itself, but, It's designed more for adventure than a sonic game. Thats where this level really lets you down, BlueZero4.

If you take all this, and promise us you'll make a sonic style level out of it, I can promise you a 10/10 from nearly everyone.

Also, at some point where I was running with pillars next to me, I had a sudden Sonic 06 moment. It was pretty cool, actually.

Green hill zone (remake number 1877- -Jk :P) 6/10

One of the better attempts at remaking this zone. But it was too generic nothing stood out in this zone at all, cept the monkey!

Greenery Pass Zone 6/10

You've mastered the basics, and you've mastered them well. Now lets start turning this into more of a stage
Make the place less bland, add a variety of gimmicks, make the level your own

Sand Valley Zone 7/10

The levelseemed to get better as it progressed, and I like the springs towards the end that seemed to put you back into 3D for a second.
But, I must re-iterate this clearly, for everyones benefit.

Please, please, please dont use teleporters to progress your level! It gets boring, and it feels like you've cut out a big chunk of playing! It's ok to use one occasionally, but not 7 times in one level!

--------

Well, thats it. I would like to say that I have never, ever seen a better level design contest, and it shows that we are a community full of talent. I believe that talent has never be shown more than it has in this contest.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Wishing everyone a happy new year,

Azure Hawk.

Eleven Peaks Zone: 5/10

This map suffers from a very poor sense of direction, as most of my playing time was spent unintentionally backtracking and finding alternate paths when I saw what appeared to be a dead end. I also didn't like that the entire level contained almost nothing but platforming. Your choice of music was dull and repetitive as well. I also found that your friction that you set on your ice was far too low for my tastes, might I recommend 160 instead of 288?
The map, however, was very detailed, and I enjoyed most of the sector scenery. The alternate paths and secret areas kept things fresh as well.

Adventure Island Zone: 2/10

First problem was your little notice at the beginning. A level should play equally well in both renders, not just the one handles glitches better.
Anyways, second problem was Adventure mode, even though it was anticipated from the title, as analog control is incredibly frustrating to use effectively, and made the camera get caught around corners in several instances.
Third was again, lack of direction. I spent a lot of time wandering around trying to find out where I was supposed to go.
The extra point was from the use of interesting scenery, other than that, I did not enjoy this level.

Blown Fuse Zone: 9/10

My only real gripe with this level was the small platforming section at the end.
I really enjoyed the scenery, as well as the use of speed pads to give the level a 2.5 Dimensional viewpoint. The gameplay flowed well, and I like that it wasn't all platforming.
Not much more to say, really.

Hydro Plant Zone: 6/10

The level, in terms of design, is very good. However, many things bring it down.

First is lack of scenery. While some areas were designed well, many others were left bland and uninteresting.
I really disliked your location of a deton, as if you got hit, it would more than likely send you into the death pit located directly behind yourself.
Your blue Jetty-Son is too fast for itself to even control, as it had to struggle to slow-down to my position, and it wa hardly a threat due to that.
Your red Jetty-Sons were aggravating. Nothing should have turret fire except for the turrets themselves, in my opinion.
Lastly, while there was some sense of direction, it still took me a while to figure out where I was supposed to go at times.

EOYON or something to that effect: 6/10

I found that the Ideya Drone was a bit hidden when your finishing the mares, and it cost me some time attempting to find a black pillar surrounded by a black pit (That doesn't kill you, if it should).
Also, about that pit, it made the rest of the level bland, really. I would've liked to see a street of some sort put in instead.

This post will be updated as I play each level.

Elven Peaks Zone by Chrome

I found this level to be quite enjoyable, actually. The (few) gimmicks were fun and the music selection actually seemed to fit. My only real gripe is a lack of scenery, but besides that this level deserves nothing less than:

6/10

Adventure Island Zone by fawfulfan

I knew the minute I saw that the level utilized Adventure Mode that this was going to be a hard fail. And it was. Not only did the uncooperative camera aid in the downfall of this level, but the tight passages that did not help the camera one bit and the bad gimmicks like button pressing and trying to imitate 2D mode sealed the deal.

1/10

Blown Fuse Zone by SonicMaster

I could say a bunch of WOWS for two hours and that still wouldn't sum up this level's high amount of win. The background scenery was cool, but what really won me over were your awesome gimmicks that you implemented in the level. Of course, it's in 2D mode, and the clunky physics in SRB2 degraded it, but in that case, I just switch over to playing it in something like SRB2Better2D.exe or SRB2CB.

9/10

Sunset Strand Zone Act 1 by Azure Hawk

This level goes through quite a change in terms of how much scenery you stuck in it. The beginning of the level doesn't yield much scenery-wise, but, by the end of it, you're sticking flowers everywhere in each sector. The gameplay was generally nice, but I didn't find any interesting gimmicks here.

6/10

End of Year NiGHTS by Glaber

I quite enjoyed this, actually. My major complaint is the lack of scenery for a NiGHTS level, but I still hold this in high regard.

7/10

Hydro Plant Zone by verifiaman

Sorry, buddy, I'm going to have to cut you down on this one. The majority of the level is broken, doesn't look good, hasbroken gimmicks, you get where I'm going with this? Also, -1 point for stealing Senku's crawlas.

2/10

Aquatic Labyrinth Zone Act 1 by Kuja

Wow. WOW. This is, hands down, the BEST level in the SP package this time around. The design was flawless, the gimmicks were superb and the flow of the level was amazing. The level deserves nothing less that a perfect score.

10/10

That's what I have so far...

Sorry guyz. I can't judge your levels this time around either. We're finally set up with Qwest in the new house, but Mom's worried about the whole downloading stuff onto this new hard drive, reason being that our computer won't let the printer and a few other programs get installed onto an essentially empty hard drive. By the time we figure out how to fix this whole mess, the contest will probably be over. I apologize in advance, but right now, there's nothing I can do.

Blown Fuse Zone : 7/10
Not a bad 2d level, one of the best I seen. But it was lacking secrets. You could have at least added a token. The background looked nice, though.

Green Hill Zone : 2/10
Ok, this level is cramped, and because it was surrouned by a death pit, it was even more frusterating too fall. The monkeys were cool, though.

End of Year NiGHTS : 4/10
Not a bad NiGHTS map. It looks nice, and the Motobugs were cool, But the fact that it's just....black down there and it's not a death pit bugs me. You could have added a road down there, or something. But the MAIN bug is that you can't get back up as Sonic. Otherwise, I would have given this a 6.

Hydro Plant Zone : 2/10
Ok, this was BAD. I'm giving you points for trying, but that's just about it. It was possible to get ALL chaos emeralds, and was very confusing on where to go next. I never could beat this level, partly because I didn't know where to go, and partly because I didn't want to find a way out of this room, only to get lost in the next.

Aquatic Labyrinth Zone, Act 1 : 8/10
This was a very good level, even if it's a bit laggy. The main problems I had with it is that at first, I didn't know you had to move the bat things to make the water rise. That, and I couldn't find many air bubbles. A great level, otherwise.

Forever Forest Zone, Act 2 : 7/10
Wow, this looks nice....now go and finish it. there was lots of rings, but the only way I lost any was by falling to my doom, I saw no enemies. I also went in a circle once.

Greenery Pass Zone : 7/10
Not a bad level, and it fits a first level of a mod. But as Mystic said, the water should be trasparent, as there was a death pit down there. It could also be a TAD longer.

Adventure Island Zone : 1/10
Ew, Adventure mode. I went in circles at the start, trying to figure out to go, when I did find the opening in the tree, I was greeted by a maze. there was then a part that had the view forced to the side, like it was a 2d mode, and the only way I got by was by going to first person view.

Elven Peaks Zone : 7/10
Not bad, but it was sorta...boring. It was a good map, but nothing really caught my eye,other than how there was two exits. That was sorta cool.

Sand Valley : 5/10
Not bad, but there was quite an overuse of teleports, however seeing where you had been in the background was cool. There was this one death pit under water that seemed to come up out of nowhere, and it was anoying to restart the level if you moved on the springs that sent you into the background. Use a zoomtube insted.

Sunset Strand Zone, Act 1 : 6/10
Not bad, but it was a bit short. It would make a good first level for a mod, though. It was also a BIT confusing, though.

Death Egg Zone, Act 2 :90/01
Sorry about the colored platforms, thing. I thought that the colors would give them away. Act 1 will introduse them, though.

And for anyone wondering, My CTF level in the last contest WAS based off DEZ2.

Dang it...I guess my crude method for making the game appear to go from 3D to 2D mode didn't go over too well. I should probably have made the camera zoom out while in that area.

Quite a turnout this time. I wish I had the motivation to finish my match map for this contest. As usual, the votes aren't final, they will get edited, as well as some of the descriptions...maybe.

Single Player:
Elven Peaks Zone by Chrome - 7/10
As mystic said, this felt like it was lacking a gimmick. I felt that the robotnik monitors before the checkpoint was annoying. If you get all the way to the check point only to die right before it, I imagine the player would get frustrated. I also thoked over the exit sector without activating it somehow.

Adventure Island Zone by fawfulfan - 0/10
I was annoyed at the very begging of the level. It didn't have any direction of what I was supposed to do. When I did press the button, I got into a room of buttons. I thought that area was really annoying, because I thought the whole level was going to be some sort of button maze. After, I was glad that it wasn't going to be like that. I was annoyed by the cramped hallways of the tree, the adventure camera didn't really help there. When I got to the part with the blue water, I didn't know where to go, so I had to die an figure that you had to press some button to get to some other area. I also thought the elevator was broke when the textures was scrolling so fast. All these annoyances distracted anything that might have been good about this level, and that is why I put a 0.

Sand Valley by Nathan Speed - 2/10
The teleporting in this level didn't seem to serve any purpose, I think it would have been better without many of them. I didn't like the platforming on the part with the water death pits, it doesn't play well with the current 2d mode. The problem is that there isn't enough camera distance to predict the next jump correct. You also have parts where you die if you spawn to a checkpoint. It is possible to get stuck, even if you don't move on the spring part, so I had to use noclip to finish the level. That spring part really took away points for me.

Green Hill Zone by Koni - 3/10
I didn't like the narrow pathways. I felt like it needed to be longer, there wasn't much to the level.

Blown Fuse Zone by SonicMaster - 8/10
I like the use of multiple paths in this zone, and the scenic aspects. I like the zoom tube gimmicks and the fact that it stops you before you get to a major hazards. I think the level relied too much on teleporters. I also didn't like the platforming at the end. The end in general felt like it was a bit rushed.

End of Year NiGHTS by Glaber - 6/10
I didn't like the fact that the temple was really hard to see. The level itself is pretty good. I liked the scenery and the multimare stuff. Overall, it isn't a too bad.

Hydro Plant Zone by verifiaman - 1/10
This level is glitched beyond belief. These glitches, among some other things completely ruined the level. It is a shame, because it looked like you had some really interesting ideas. The translucent walls were only barely visible in software. In Open GL they weren't visible at all, which caused a lot of confusion and frustration. I don't think a lot of those walls really even need to be there. Another thing that really annoyed me was the blind death pits. What I mean by that, is that is impossible to predict where some of the death pits are. This level is very unforgiving of missed jumps, and the messed up visuals don't help you make the jumps. If you reduce the deathpits and fix the visuals I think it would turn out to be a fun level, but I couldn't even complete it because of the frustration I had with these issues.

Sunset Strand Zone, Act 1 by Azure Hawk - 6/10
You have some of the basic level design stuff down, I just felt like the level needed to be a bit longer. I think it would be a good first level in a mod though.

Aquatic Labyrinth Zone, Act 1 by Kuja - 8/10
I liked a lot of the gimmicks in this level. I liked the gargoyle activated buttons. I think there does need to be more bubbles scattered around, but I had fun in this level, even though I died many times.

Forever Forest Zone, Act 2 by BlueZero4 - 7/10
I kinda like the exploration aspect of the level, but I felt it still needs a sonic feel to it. It doesn't have any enemies for one. I really can't think what suggestions I can make to the stage. I know there is probably some button hunt I am supposed to do to experiance the level fully, but I wasn't really motivated.

Death Egg Zone, Act 2 by Blade T. Hedgehog - 8/10
I like the gimmicks in this level, but there are some problems that I have with the level. As a lot of people said, the red translucent platforms should not be there, it only confuses the player. I was also confused with the colored translucent walls near a checkpoint. It took me a while to figure out that those yellow blocks were also breakable (which seems strange to me). Anyway, good design.

Greenery Pass Zone by Knockout the Echidna - 4/10
It looks like you have the basic level design concepts down, but I felt like it needed to have something more to the level in terms of length, and gimmicks.

Match:
MAPA1 - Tainted Rainbow Zone by SonicMaster - 5/10
I might have to play one more time to give more detail of what I liked and didn't like. I liked the idea, but something about it didn't seem to be exicuted properly. I didn't like the point draining green slime, I felt like there should be some sort of sound to say that the points are being drained.

MAPA2 - Spring Peak Zone by HyperKnux - 2/10
I really didn't like the way the deathpits where put in the level. Points taken off also for not seeing that there was no way out of the large death pit if you land on certain sectors to avoid death.

MAPA3 - Elemental Arena by Nathan Speed - 2/10
The elemental idea is a neat idea, though I didn't like how it was executed. Teleporters usually make it harder for people to find the other players in the stage. I also didn't like that it was activated by floor touch, you should have done the entire light block FOF to activate the linedef executor.

MAPA4 - Water Plant Zone by Ezer.Arch - 8/10
This is the best out the pack. I only found it slightly large for a small amount of people, but other then that, it was pretty solid.

CTF:
MAPA5 - Autumn Breeze Zone by SonicMaster - 5/10
I think I would have liked your flag placement idea if the teleporters for going back into the main level had a light block, or some other method to tell the player that it would teleport them back. I don't think the center route should be that easy.

MAPA6 - Desert Ruins Zone by HyperKnux - 1/10
Heavy platforming in CTF levels do not work well, especially when you have fofs that are so small. I didn't like the flag placement, and it had this annoying error when a person of the same team tried to pick it up. Some of the color team starts are not placed on the correct bases.

Circuit:
MAPA7 - Furry Fox's Volcano Zone by SonicMaster - 6/10
I was a bit annoyed at first when I was forced to be tails in this level. I think I got used to the concept though, but it still needs something in the level to make it more interesting.

MAPA8 - Assembly Line Zone by JJames19119 - 4/10
This circuit was pretty much a thokfest, it didn't really have anything of great interest in terms of obstacles and such.

Rateing: 5/10
Notes:well at first it seems good but right when i enter i noticed something, the enemy placement sucked. they where all in a group and i could trick them into a wall and they whouldint move, work on enemy placement.

i didint know where i was going because oof all the diffrent pathways and i took on path and i couldint slide under the wall when i was placeing as silver. another thing is if i wasint silver then i whould have fallen so many times when jumping to platform to platform because of the slideing.

Rateing:4/10
Notes: the bad camra holy crap it got stuck behide a wall and when playing i got killed by a enemy because of it. a tip when makeing a level is dont add every singel thing you can think of in there, i ment at the begging it was a sunny day at the beach then it started snowing?

Sand Valley by Nathan Speed
Rateing:5/10
Notes: only problems i found was that when you jump you go flying and where the enemys where. also by touching water you die? i know sonic hates water but he can stand in it right? had cheap deaths too.

Green Hill Zone by Koni
Rateing:8/10
Notes: manly just short other then that the level was awsome

Blown Fuse Zone by SonicMaster
Rateing: 9/10
Notes: a very fun map althought its easy and i didint die once its good level for beggners to enjoy because there wasint cheap pits to die on

End of Year NiGHTS by Glaber
Rateing: N/A/10
couldint open level so this gets no rateing from me.

Hydro Plant Zone by verifiaman
Rateing: 0/10
Notes: This hole level is probley made out of stolen icons, stealing without permission is a no no, you sir fail

thats half of them for now, do the rest later

neox64 said:
Rateing:4/10
Notes: the bad camra holy crap it got stuck behide a wall and when playing i got killed by a enemy because of it. a tip when makeing a level is dont add every singel thing you can think of in there, i ment at the begging it was a sunny day at the beach then it started snowing?

It is NOT snowing at the beginning. It was just that you tried it during the time of year when SRB2 automatically adds the xmas parameter. If you tried playing it again, you would discover it's not snowing anymore.

neox64 said:
Rateing: 5/10
Notes:well at first it seems good but right when i enter i noticed something, the enemy placement sucked. they where all in a group and i could trick them into a wall and they whouldint move, work on enemy placement.

A certain Silver makes enemies not move at all, try playing it as a different character and the enemies will move.

Blown Fuse Zone : 7/10
Wow, nice level, but there was a few thing that I didn't like.
1. The lava in one part wasn't a water fof.
2. The end area didn't fit with the rest of the level.
3. In one part there is platfoming that is hard to see dew to stuff being in the way.

Other then that, good job :D

Green Hill Zone : 3/10
erm... The monkey enemy was cool, the level wasn't.
Cramped, low death pit and more cramped stuff.

End of Year NiGHTS : 6/10
Nice level, If it wasn't for the fact that sonic can't get dack up >.>

Hydro Plant Zone : 2/10
...Ok, I'm giving you some points for trying, but Don't expect them for the enemys that you use without permision from Senku and Mystic Realm.
The level itself was boring, and cramped. And it can be a bit easy to get lost.

Aquatic Labyrinth Zone, Act 1 : 7/10
Cool level and nice music. But I couldn't play it all the way through dew to the lag. Also, it needs more air bubbles.

Forever Forest Zone, Act 2 : 8/10
Cool level, but... Where's the enemies? o.o also there seemed to be a lot of point less rooms. but VERY nice level layout and senery. and the paths was great.

Greenery Pass Zone : EPIC/AWESOME
Ok... I wasn't orgiganle planning to put this map in but I didn't have time to finish the other one. The end is bad because I haven't gotten around to SOCcing the mini boss >>'

Adventure Island Zone : 1/10
Burn up adventure mode D:. This level wasn't very good, it was cramped,
linear, and it had Adventure mode. some of the senery was cool though.

Elven Peaks Zone : 6/10
Meh, this map is ok. the only thing that I don't realy like is that some times it was cramped and the one part you had to jump down a hole made me think that I ran into a dead-end. other then that not bad.

Sand Valley : 4/10
Ugh, I didn't like this level much, to many teleporter that seamed like a waste. and the part where the water and platforms are had a anoying death pit. Not to mention that one of you checkpoints make you span on a crawla thus auto-killing you. But I did like how you could see the rest of the stage near the end.

Sunset Strand Zone, Act 1 : 6/10
Not bad, but GHZ and GFZ texture don't look good together.
not much else I can say.

Death Egg Zone, Act 2 :8/10
Nice level, but the yellow platforms should be a bit diferante so people won't think they are lazers. And it needs more senery. Othen that, VERY nice level :D

Good news! My dad has been fiddling around with the computer, and it's working again! About the storage of my files, I want to put them somewhere on the internet in case of another crash, but that's for later.
When does the voting period end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back