• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Kart Krew™'s exe mods

Looking pretty cool, guys! I am so hyped for this.

BTW...
a fucking Pokemon esque-bar
I don't see why you decided to go with that bar. I really loved that animated Ring HUD you showed earlier. But it's a minor detail, at least for me.

You guys MUST keep going! This is the best mod ever!

...And Kart is awesome too, FYI.

I don't see why you decided to go with that bar. I really loved that animated Ring HUD you showed earlier. But it's a minor detail, at least for me.
I think he stated it was one of the attempts that got scrapped, same for second picture, but with the third picture being what they will go with. At least that's what I hope...

I think he stated it was one of the attempts that got scrapped, same for second picture, but with the third picture being what they will go with. At least that's what I hope...

Yeah, pretty much this. He explicitly stated that those were the previous revisions before we decided to use the third one.

reggieshrug.gif

This mod's HUD has gone through several revisions one after the other from readability issues and criticism, but maybe now it can stay final, ha.

jbemonxAOw1dNe.png

A fucking Pokemon esque bar.

jb0ITUYThUqm98.png

Whatever I was thinking here (oh right I made the 2.1 clock icon for NiGHTS)

srb20015.png

Like, I can't even find the older ones. :V
That middle one is win. Why you removed it? I like it also why there's SegaSonic The Hedgehog Sonic?

The middle one has too much stuff in one corner and is small. It's more readable like it is now.

why there's SegaSonic The Hedgehog Sonic?

That's actually my own sprite that's based off those. In the far future after the demo release I'll make a full set for Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. That's the sprite style and perspective Top Down is SUPPOSED to have had all this time.

I just never got to it because of how unpredictable happenings.

The middle one has too much stuff in one corner and is small. It's more readable like it is now.

It was also made about half a year ago before Sryder told me how HUD works, and accidently based it off a higher resolution shot. It was a mockup. In short, it was an impossible to replicate mockup. :V

Last edited:
io1f280kUfDCK.gif

As per requested, Iceman has further reworked the health meter to be easier to understand at a glance. The Ring Gauge now changes color from red, at the lowest level, to gold, at the highest level, and increases by increments, instead of only changing when a full ring was filled.

The fraction no longer shows how many rings you need to reach the next full bar of health. It simply shows how much hp out of the 5 total you currently have.

Now, we want a bit of feedback on this. The fraction currently gives you less information than the Ring Gauge, but it shows clearly exactly how many hits (out of 5) you have left.

The question is, is the fraction redundant? Should it be replaced with RING ENERGY text, or LIFE text, or HP text? Lastly, if HP is used, should a number be displayed next to the HP text? (5HP ,1HP 0HP, etc)

Or would it be better if the Ring Gauge stood alone with nothing beside it?

(Note: Checker Mountain is still being cleaned up from porting, any issues you see in this gif will not be in the demo when its released)

In my honest opinion, I think at this point the fraction beside the health meter IS kinda redundant. I think it would be best, for space, to just have "HP" beside the gauge. But I think "HP" should be in front of the gauge rather than behind it.

I'd rather see a yellow "RING ENERGY" on the top of the gauge, actually.

And I'd rather "" see beside it. For those who don't get it, that means nothing.

Edit: Or at least a console variable to toggle text beside it on or off.

Last edited:
I'd rather you guys keep it more minimal and not have anything next to it. I still don't think it should be any shades of yellow or gold until its complete, or show some other indicator a ring is complete, but its best to keep numbers or letters out of this.

I don't think that it needs any text over it, it's fine like it is now.

What happened to the old Spiral Knights like level hub ?

I agree, the numbers are kinda redundant. I think the Ring Meter by itself is easily readable.

If anything i could suggest that might be silly, How's about visibly telling the player he's at certain health like how densetsu no stafy worked: Smiley Face is 5, happy face is 4, straight face at 3, unhappy face at 2, really unhappy face at 1, and i honestly don't know what to say about 0.

Hm, looking at that increment-increasing Ring Meter, I've noticed that the lower increments (ie: 1 ring, 2 ring, MAYBE 3 ring) are difficult to notice at a glance (although that MIGHT be because I'm colourblind), perhaps just keeping them at a constant gold state would work, or if not - having the counter show how many rings you need for your next piece of precious HP.

Although yeah, I'd prefer the Ring Gauge just having no text beside it if this colourblind issue could be fixed.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back