Netbombing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burning-Fox

Does not approve of rails.
Kill me if this is something really simple to fix please, 'kay?

Okay, seriously, I didn't think I'd have to post this here. I thought it was just me. But it's happening to every server for some reason. It's NOT our internet screwing up, it's NOT our faults ('least I don't think so), it's something bigger.

Now, what's the problem you ask? Well, basically, once a server gets remotely popular, like near full slots, (The ones I've been on anyway) everyone in the server will notice their ping sky rocket. It does NOT go down, and stays at 800+ regardless of the host's actions. Re-hosting fixes the problem, yet it still does the same thing afterwards eventually. Sometimes you can go a long time hosting without the error, but sometimes it can occur within like a minute of people joining. This is becoming a really annoying issue. It could be something simple, yet it could be something as major as a "targeted" netbombing.

Servers it's happened to:
Mine,
Spectrum's,
CyanAqua's,
Some guy I didn't get the name of,
Alyssa's,
I think Knuckles T.E *FF*.

The amount of servers it happens to is ridiculous, however, logging onto my 192.168.1.1 and viewing logs shows suspicious activity; "admin log on from 72.94.237.147" The IP leads into the United States, and putting SRB2 next to it in Google Search takes you to the Master Server. It might be the Master Server's IP, but who knows. It might be just me getting this error in particular. It might not even be an error to do with the netbombing. But it's possible.

So, has anyone else had this problem/are willing to back me up on this?
Is there any way to fix this?
Does anyone even know what the problem is anyway?

I know a bunch of people who know how to hack Srb2 with a hacker E.X.E. Basically, it will flood all the ports in your server until the ping starts raising. Until then, ALL pings sky rocket to 800 where the server becomes remotely unplayable.

It could be that... Or...

Someone was stupid enough to join your sever with a million windows open raising the servers ping. It could also raise if they have bad internet.

Or it also might be...

The host who is doing something that requires a lot of memory. It could just be anything, but with your suspicions and that log check, I would go with the first reason. But hey, thats just me.
It also happens to my server sometimes too. Also, putting a servers I.P that has been listed in the master server, and putting Srb2 next to it SHOULD bring you to the ms.

Last edited:
The IP you mentioned is not connected to the master server; that's 208.94.247.58. As there has been a Denial of Service tool making the rounds with instructions to target SRB2 hosts, try configuring your router's firewall to block all traffic from 72.94.237.147.

Negative, I didn't give anyone admin privileges at all. It just happens regardless.

I tried that, but... they still got through. This is very worrying.

I'm not from the United States, I'm in the United Kingdom, so that's out of the question. It takes you to like Philadelphia.

I'm not from the United States, I'm in the United Kingdom, so that's out of the question. It takes you to like Philadelphia.

I really don't see a solution here. You could try blocking his I.P but they can change it. You can change YOUR I.P with a dynamic I. P but chances are
They can get the new one too...

I really don't see a solution here. You could try blocking his I.P but they can change it. You can change YOUR I.P with a dynamic I. P but chances are
They can get the new one too...

I doubt anyone would be too patient to portforward everytime the DNS server hands over a new IP at every startup.

I heard about some guy called "SERIAL KILLER" from a lot of people. He joined my server and kicking him seemed to temporarily fix the netbomb thing, but later the ping rose up again. I didn't log his IP or anything because I wasn't expecting it. Anyway, it's odd how their IP shows up on the MS. That basically means it's someone that can host that's accessing MY router.

I heard about some guy called "SERIAL KILLER" from a lot of people. He joined my server and kicking him seemed to temporarily fix the netbomb thing, but later the ping rose up again. I didn't log his IP or anything because I wasn't expecting it. Anyway, it's odd how their IP shows up on the MS. That basically means it's someone that can host that's accessing MY router.
That sounds like just a person with just a lot of lag on their end. The program in question that is being used to netbomb SRB2 servers can be used outside of SRB2. You don't need SRB2 running at all to netbomb servers with that program.

If he is not in your server at the current time you are lagging, it means theres another source lagging your server.

Thing is though it was lagging when he was present. Kicking him made the lag go straight down for everyone, but later the ping shot back up and he wasn't there. As mentioned above, it was probably a co-incidence, but eh.

Thing is though it was lagging when he was present. Kicking him made the lag go straight down for everyone, but later the ping shot back up and he wasn't there. As mentioned above, it was probably a co-incidence, but eh.

Co-incidence. Wish there was a way to permanantly stop them.

Also might as well get this out of the way too, a lot of servers seem to get C-Bombs (My term for everyone C-Failing) every now and then. Irrelevant to this topic but it happens.

But anyway, hosting off the MS apparently fixes the issue altogether, but that's not exactly a good solution when you want more than 7 players, is it?

Also might as well get this out of the way too, a lot of servers seem to get C-Bombs (My term for everyone C-Failing) every now and then. Irrelevant to this topic but it happens.

But anyway, hosting off the MS apparently fixes the issue altogether, but that's not exactly a good solution when you want more than 7 players, is it?

Use blamecfail command in the console. It will stop MOST cfails but it also means more lag. Tough choice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back