• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Kart Krew™'s exe mods

Unfortunately it might not be brought back since its convoluted and extremely glitchy to work with, and every fix seems to not help that much in testing.

Don't worry, there will be plenty to fill the void if Thunder Piston doesn't return. (No garantee that it's gone for good either, just keep your fingers crossed)

This is now a general thread for all things Kart Krew™, Top Down and Kart itself! (Please read the OP)

srb20253.png

srb20252.png

srb20250.png

srb20254.png

See if you can notice the little thing that makes these shots special in particular.

Also, that third shot is Sunbeam Paradise (by the talented Blitz-T), one out of 33 original courses (excluding Mario Kart ports) in the current build.

Last edited:
@cyan: That's partly it. The main attraction is that they are no longer Mario items; they're now (finally) Sonic-themed.

This is now a general thread for all things Kart Krew, Top Down and Kart itself! (Please read the OP)

srb20253.png

srb20252.png

srb20250.png

srb20254.png

See if you can notice the little thing that makes these shots special in particular.
I've got it!
The character sprites are leaning in the direction that they are turning!
Amazing!

Keep up the great work Kart Krew. I am really excited for this!

I hope that this forum gets updated frequently, these mods look SO cool.

R.I.P old (SRB2)Mario Kart items... *plays a sad song*
So anyway, This looks fantastic!!! My only complaint that Sonic's head when he's turning looks weird. (I wonder what's going to be the red and green shells).

So, after much delay I decided to go back in to touch up some of my old kart levels. Starting with Chemical Facility.

iUzWyjdFQSJWJ.png

i6g4YLouAy0Gi.png

ibl6YQgb2ac4k7.png

The main change in this level, is that it is no longer a basic race level, but is in fact now a Sprint level, where the track is one long race to the end. The first half of the race is inspired off the first act of the Zone seen in Chaos Domain, while the second is inspired off the second act.

How about replacing the banana with those goop piles that the Egg Slimer fires?

Sorry, but we'll be taking a lot more inspiration from everything but SRB2 and the more modern games (unless we do brand new items altogether, which is a maybe in itself). One thing I love doing with this is giving a lot of love to some more obscure things like Sonic 3 & Knuckles' Competition Mode and Game Gear titles. Expect to see a lot of that here instead.

EDIT: For example, I just got this done right now.
srb20255.png

Last edited:
Gotta love that trademark next to the name; some amazing stuff gets shown in this thread. I like the Sonic-touch the items are receiving. SRB2 Kart has improved considerably from when it was first shown to now.

Rocket shoes? Great. I always liked that power-up. There's more creative freedom in the shoe power-ups than say wisps, but that's some other discussion.

The sprite quality is perfect and it's great to see lesser known items like the banana peel and virtually everything the Game Gear games had going for them being used in something.

Chemical Facility looks very intimidating. Not in a bad way either. All the things off to the sides look very interesting. I'm guessing that green slime is some form of hazard or whatnot. Is that small building in the first image the entrance or a background piece... or possibly a shortcut...

Just to doublecheck - the new powerups are gonna look and act original, right? (ie: Not reskins of the existing Mario Kart items)

While some items could be similar, it would be nice to have a bunch of unique-acting items in there too. I mean, it's inevitable that there are gonna be SOME similarities with items, especially when it comes to things like the green shell and banana - not even S&SASR(T) could avoid items similar to that.

Items will have the same general effect, but with a few surprises.

Perhaps even some brand new ones, too.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back