[Open Assets] SRB2 - Community Build! - Full color Edition! (PNG)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, there's no way that the next version of SRB2 can't feature at least some of these modifications. This is freaking incredible.

My only complaint so far is your annoying change to Analog Mode. Why does the camera flip automatically when Knuckles glides backwards?

Oh, and the player takes damage whenever the skin gets changed. What the heck?

I'm pretty sure most(if not, all) of these changes apply to Open-GL. SRB2 currently supports Software and not Open-GL. I have a feeling that is why a lot of these features were not implemented into SRB2 yet. Still, these modifications would be nice to be ported into the official version of SRB2 to make Open-GL users happy.

Also, you know what would be an awesome feature for this to have? Custom bot setups. WADs that include custom characters would have the option to include a text lump (called BOTCFG, perhaps,) that behaves exactly like an OBJECTCFG for a character, except that it defines multiple characters. Instead of the variable SkinName, there would be several variables that determine the skins of the player and the bots:

*One variable (LeaderName?) would determine the skin of the character that the player controls directly.

*Another (BotNames?) would determine the skins of the bots, seperated by commas and spaces.

Multiple bot setups could be defined in the same BOTCFG, seperated by # signs.

An example BOTCFG might look like this:

Code:
SRB2 version = 200

Character 4
PlayerName = TEAM SONIC
PicName = TESCCHAR
LeaderName = Sonic
BotNames = Tails, Knuckles
Status = 32
PlayerText =      Fastest
         Speed Thok
(insert notes here)
# 
Character 5
PlayerName = TEAM SONIC (TAILS)
PicName = TETLCHAR
LeaderName = Tails
BotNames = Sonic, Knuckles
Status = 32
PlayerText =      Slowest
         Fly/Swim
(insert notes here)
#

So, what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Sure, there's finally slope physics in this mod compared to the other mods that have tried to implement slopes, but the slopes in CB are really missing something; they don't have any "launch" to them. When you run off a slope in CB you instantly fall down as if you ran off a straight platform, you don't fly off at an arc like in other Sonic games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H1pwXaBd4M
Though the mod in this video obviously doesn't have real slope physics, the player shows that it's possible to run off a slope and go higher before falling down (it's not just the lighter gravity causing this). Could this be possible in CB as well (Obviously not as extreme, but still)?

Last edited:
Whatever the case, it seems to me that it's not a matter of these things being impossible, like everyone (including the dev team) says, but rather a lack of motivation on their part.

Impossible to do properly is the key word. An excellent effort here at making ZDoom-like slopes, but if you want to go full monty you're going to hit a wall real fast. If we added them to SRB2, we wanted them to be done properly...which involves rewriting nearly everything.

so is the launch really the only thing missing? If so, Might as well experiment with a way to fake it.

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

SRB1 Mode will be merged with 2D Mode in 2.1, so you better get used to slow Sonic, because he'll be the only option you have.
What? Please tell me he's at least not slower than Tails.

Sure, there's finally slope physics in this mod compared to the other mods that have tried to implement slopes, but the slopes in CB are really missing something; they don't have any "launch" to them. When you run off a slope in CB you instantly fall down as if you ran off a straight platform, you don't fly off at an arc like in other Sonic games.

You do actually. The "launch" you're talking about is already in SRB2CB, it's only noticeable if you're going off a steep ramp at a fast speed.

---

SSNTails said:
Impossible to do properly is the key word. An excellent effort here at making ZDoom-like slopes, but if you want to go full monty you're going to hit a wall real fast. If we added them to SRB2, we wanted them to be done properly...which involves rewriting nearly everything.

I honestly have no problem doing a code rewrite - I'm completely aware that this would be completely absurd for an engine like Doom and essentially requires starting over, but it would actually be fun for me to try and I don't mind having to make new octree/BSP systems and map formats since that's what it takes to get there.

I'm also aware that this would pretty much make SRB2CB a separate branch from regular SRB2 both code-wise and gameplay-wise, but I never expected SRB2CB to be incorporated into regular SRB2 anyway.

And actually, SRB2CB uses vectors to define slopes right now, it's a small first step, but it's something. The game uses plane normals for some simple physics such as sliding down and jumping off a slope, and lets MD2 models to rotate to a slope by finding the angle between the player's vector and the plane normal.
If I could just get a complete example of how to do Sonic physics in 3D, I could really get this rewrite going.

Last edited:
I honestly have no problem doing a code rewrite - I'm completely aware that this would be completely absurd for an engine like Doom and essentially requires starting over, but it would actually be fun for me to try and I don't mind having to make new octree/BSP systems and map formats since that's what it takes to get there.

I'm also aware that this would pretty much make SRB2CB a separate branch from regular SRB2 both code-wise and gameplay-wise, but I never expected SRB2CB to be incorporated into regular SRB2 anyway.

And actually, SRB2CB uses vectors to define slopes right now, it's a small first step, but it's something. The game uses plane normals for some simple physics such as sliding down and jumping off a slope, and lets MD2 models to rotate to a slope by finding the angle between the player's vector and the plane normal.
If I could just get a complete example of how to do Sonic physics in 3D, I could really get this rewrite going.
Good to know your so enthusiastic about such a hard and time consuming job, unlike some other programmers.
You do actually. The "launch" you're talking about is already in SRB2CB, it's only noticeable if you're going off a steep ramp at a fast speed.
Yes, but I feel you should make the launch stronger so it would much more noticeable on smaller ramps, this way extreme slopes won't be as necessary in levels (It'd also give it more of that Classic Sonic game feel).

Will people leave behind the old srb2win.exe for this? I mean, SLOPES!?! STjr has been attempting to get that to work for YEARS. Hard to believe someone finally got that working!

Not exactly. I just know this is it looks like an awesome mod, I can't wait to try it out.
OPENGL IS NOT SUPPORTED IN VANILLA SRB2. Most of this is only possible with OpenGL. OpenGL and Software render things very differently. Slopes like this aren't possible to render in Software Mode since Srb2 is written in Doom Legacy, and not ZDoom (Or other newer Doom engines to be exact).

Last edited:
The mod won't run on my computer for some reason

Iceman404 said:
OPENGL IS NOT SUPPORTED IN VANILLA SRB2.
And, this is all only possible with OpenGL.

Oh. Then why doesn't STjr just make SRB2 normally run in OPEN-GL? I mean, if it opens up the possibilities to so many features, it seems kinda weird NOT to use it!

Oh. Then why doesn't STjr just make SRB2 normally run in OPEN-GL? I mean, if it opens up the possibilities to so many features, it seems kinda weird NOT to use it!
Because it'd eliminate half of the audience that doesn't have the graphics capabilities to run OpenGL!
The mod won't run on my computer for some reason
This only further proves my point, as you might be in that audience.

Because it'd eliminate half of the audience that doesn't have the graphics capabilities to run OpenGL!

The irony here is that we've reached the point with technology that more people can't support software rather than the latter.

Software mode simply doesn't exist in modern gaming anymore. There would be more of a gain if STJr. went OGL-exclusive than if they went software-exclusive and ignored the features of this mod entirely.

Software mode simply doesn't exist in modern gaming anymore. There would be more of a gain if STJr. went OGL-exclusive than if they went software-exclusive and ignored the features of this mod entirely.
Then why doesn't the team just go OGL-exclusive? There's literally nothing positive to say about software mode anymore after seeing this mod (And XSRB2).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back